What feature is 3.0 still missing?

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
What feature do you wish they implemented into 3.0 that you're still waiting on?

I'm glad cut/paste is coming. MMS will be nice.

One simple thing they haven't touched, which shocks me with the app store being so ridiculously large, is folders.

I hate having 9 full pages at all times. I want to just pop into a folder when I am looking for a financial app rather than searching through 9 pages of apps. I could have 1 page of folders which would shorten my search for items drastically. I know you can do this if the phone is jailbroken, but I have jailbroken 4 times now, and each and every time, immediately after the phone slows to a crawl without even installing anything.

So, I wish they would just let us create folders.

My next biggest feature I would love to see would definitely be themes(again, jailbroken themes practically put my phone on pause)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Global rotation lock (portrait only mode).

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Oh yeah, that just reminded me. I absolutely hate the ipod flip book thingie. I wish I could disable it.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
The folder thing would be awesome, having maybe two pages... first one for the stuff you use everyday and then folders for the rest on the second page.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the link Europa. I know our requests will go largely unnoticed but I might as well put it in, right?

Took them 2 years to give us MMS. In another 2 years, blackberry might just surpass the iPhone.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
themes and folders are great ideas. They would be excellent editions to the iPhone. as for me, I expect my iPhone to be able to do everything that my old Sony Ericsson w600i could do and more. It's ALMOST there. Here's what's missing:

-Video recording
-Camera flash (don't really care though, i got the iFlashReady app which is good enough for me)
-Camera zoom (there is an app that does this but it should be in the default camera)
-Single call delete

Here's other stuff I'd like on the iPhone:

-voice dialing (there are apps for this but i want this to be integrated with the default phone)
-I think it would be cool if there was an app that could write/edit ms office documents. i wouldn't use it much but i think it would be kinda cool

well i guess thats it for me. If the stuff from 3.0+this stuff was added to the iPhone, i think i would have nothing to complain about. I sent a request to Apple for some of this stuff but i think they're too ignorant to listen.

The exclusion of MMS & sterobluetooth in the 1st generation iPhone is obviously a scam to get people to buy a 3G (or a 3rd generation iPhone, if one will be released this summer)

Well those are my thoughts

Oh and I would just like to say "I have a dream.....that one day.....cydia, installer, & the app store will be fused together.....to create the ultimate app installer ever seen on a smartphone.....so that we may have things like themes and folders and a five column springboard and five icon dock and what have you.....so that jailbreaking.....and sim card unlocking....could be erradicated" lol :)

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
themes and folders are great ideas. They would be excellent editions to the iPhone. as for me, I expect my iPhone to be able to do everything that my old Sony Ericsson w600i could do and more. It's ALMOST there. Here's what's missing:

-Video recording
-Camera flash (don't really care though, i got the iFlashReady app which is good enough for me)
-Camera zoom (there is an app that does this but it should be in the default camera)
-Single call delete

Here's other stuff I'd like on the iPhone:

-voice dialing (there are apps for this but i want this to be integrated with the default phone)
-I think it would be cool if there was an app that could write/edit ms office documents. i wouldn't use it much but i think it would be kinda cool

well i guess thats it for me. If the stuff from 3.0+this stuff was added to the iPhone, i think i would have nothing to complain about. I sent a request to Apple for some of this stuff but i think they're too ignorant to listen.

The exclusion of MMS & sterobluetooth in the 1st generation iPhone is obviously a scam to get people to buy a 3G (or a 3rd generation iPhone, if one will be released this summer)

Well those are my thoughts

Oh and I would just like to say "I have a dream.....that one day.....cydia, installer, & the app store will be fused together.....to create the ultimate app installer ever seen on a smartphone.....so that we may have things like themes and folders and a five column springboard and five icon dock and what have you.....so that jailbreaking.....and sim card unlocking....could be erradicated" lol :)
yes thats totaly bs too how v1 useres cant mms! i mean **** there just to lazy to make it work for the v1 antenna and want ppl to upgrade

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
A manually adjustable equalizer in the iPod app with at least 10 bands. I don't see this being a big problem to add since they already have several presets. But for a music oriented device like the iPhone, they should cater to the more savvy, audiophile-like consumers who know their way around iTunes in addition to their home theater setups and add this manual EQ to make the iPhone just that much more covetable.

Also, please make the ID3 tag text scroll. Heck, it scrolls in iTunes, why not in the iPhone? It's frustrating only seeing a portion of the artists on a song, especially when there's more than 3 artists as it cuts them off in the iPod window when playing the track. Ellipses aren't enough - all it shows is that text is missing. I wonder why no one has requested this from the original iPhone? It seems so obvious and elementary. I have so many songs where it does this that it's frustrating. From album name to song name to artist, there's just too much text to show in the window at once.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
+1 regarding the EQ.

been a complaint of mine for every ipod/iPhone. ridiculous.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
+2 on the EQ.

I also think the OP's points are right up there as the top "aaaaw comeon!" sort of omissions, software-wise. They're only hurting their own pocketbook by limiting the number of apps people can have on their phones, not to mention the disorganization of it all.

And you can change your background and icons on a Mac... why not on an iPhone? It's a silly limitation that is actually losing them customers. Some people care that much.

I would add voice control to the list. Microsoft has a very elegant solution with their Voice Command software (same stuff as in their Sync interfaces for car audio), and it's a shame if Apple can't do them better. It's an area in which they're really falling behind.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
There is one other thing I'd like:

-ability to set backgorund picute for homescreen(s) (kind of goes with themes but whatev.....)

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Flash! (EDIT:Adobe Flash)

and a software Volume button that can lock and hold the volume.I am constantly raising the volume after I have accidentally bumped it down.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Flash!

and a software Volume button that can lock and hold the volume.I am constantly raising the volume after I have accidentally bumped it down.
Flash is a hardware issue.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Oh lol. I just worked a 22 hour shift, and I haven't slept in 32. Forgive me!
Haha it's fine, I usually have to take a second to think which one it is on a normal basis :laugh2:

We will see adobe flash soon, how soon I'm not sure, but they are working on an Apple approved iPhone version.

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
yes for flash, like it doesn't have to be full blown flash! i just want a flash safari plugin!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
yes for flash, like it doesn't have to be full blown flash! i just want a flash safari plugin!
Well that's Apples request to adobe, they don't want flash lite. Apple wants full flash with as little strain on battery and processing power as they can which might take a while unfortunately. Too bad they can't just have flash lite for now until they get the iPhone version Apple wants. Although I have grown to deal without it.