What format are the ringtones

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
Does anyone know what format you need to use to add additional ringtones to the iPhone?

Thanks..............

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
search on this forum for a way to convert into this format. You can do this for free on unmodded iPhones. DO NOT pay for this. Those apps fail to work when there's an upgrade and tons of people will support what I tell you. Search around this site... Its all here...

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
Do you know of a program that will change the file format from a .wav to the .m4r format so it plays on an iPhone?

I think that iToner by Ambrosia software is the easiest program to use to put ringtones on to the iPhone. Truth be told, I really would like to do this as I have not done it as of yet. I am just looking for a way to do this.

Thanks....

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
you don't need a program. Put the song in iTunes, right click on it and select to convert to acc, then right click on that new converted file and select "show in windows" ,get it in windows and then simply rename it to m4r and stick it in the ringtones section of iTunes, synch and you're done...

Or simply SEARCH for more detailed info.

Sceem

Dec 30, 2007
Okay what Soo i Get the song or ringtone i want

Convert it to Acc then Open it with Windows

and how do i rename it with m4r? and how do i put it so It syncs with ringtones?

Help please

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Okay what Soo i Get the song or ringtone i want

Convert it to Acc then Open it with Windows

and how do i rename it with m4r? and how do i put it so It syncs with ringtones?

Help please

Welcome to the forum, since this is your first time here I will answer you, but next time search. I have answered this about 50 times. Anyhoo

You need to be on 1.1.2 firmware
Take your 30sec or less song in iTunes and and right click to convert to ACC.
Now open explorer, go to tools, then view then UNCHECK "Hide extensions" this is so you can see the ringtone file extension.
Now that you still have explorer open go to where the ringtones is that you just made and change it from .m4a to .m4r
Now with iTunes open and the ringtone folder open in iTunes, go back to the ringtone.m4r and DRAG & DROP the ringtone into the iTunes ringtone folder. Then sync your phone.

Sceem

Dec 30, 2007
Welcome to the forum, since this is your first time here I will answer you, but next time search. I have answered this about 50 times. Anyhoo

You need to be on 1.1.2 firmware
Take your 30sec or less song in iTunes and and right click to convert to ACC.
Now open explorer, go to tools, then view then UNCHECK "Hide extensions" this is so you can see the ringtone file extension.
Now that you still have explorer open go to where the ringtones is that you just made and change it from .m4a to .m4r
Now with iTunes open and the ringtone folder open in iTunes, go back to the ringtone.m4r and DRAG & DROP the ringtone into the iTunes ringtone folder. Then sync your phone.
Okay I got the Firmware I Shortened it on iTunes. I converted it to an acc file on iTunes and Right click on it to open in windows. and I cant find nothing that says Hide Exensions under View :'[
and It wont let me change it from a M4A or i don't know how :p please help i just got the iPhone as a late christmas Present

Thanks for being soo Friendly :D

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
Sceem,

I'm guessing you are using a PC so I may not be saying things right because I am doing a Mac but;

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.

2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.

3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.

4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.

5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.

6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (I'm guessin' here) explorer."

7. Right click on the song with the m4a extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the extension then you need to do whatever PC folks do to have the extensions show up. I am not sure what that is.

8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.

9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."

10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.

11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right.

It should now be on your iPhone.

Good luck and remember the key in my opinion is to delete the two tones from the music playlist in iTunes BEFORE double clicking the newly renamed m4r.

Sceem

Dec 30, 2007
Rbaron

Okay i did exactly What you said I just cant seem to Change the Extesion for some reason and yes im a PC User :'[ i kow

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Rbaron

Okay i did exactly What you said I just cant seem to Change the Extesion for some reason and yes im a PC User :'[ i kow
Do you see a file extension on the ringtone?

If not go into MyComputer then click tools, click the view tab, make sure you UNCHECK "Hide extensions for files"

Then find the m4a change it to m4r