What frequency is my phone using?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by Bimfi, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

I recently switched from an Android phone to my first time use of an iPhone. I bought an iPhone 5c from Straight Talk. But, I don't know which carrier tower my phone is using. I have no idea if it is using CDMA or GSM. Is there a way to know by looking in the phone settings? I contacted ST, but it seems they are so secretive about this. I looked at the field test on my phone but it was difficult to decipher. Any suggestions?

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I did some research for you to find the answer. I looked up info on Straight Talk and found out that they are a subsidiary of TracFone. If your cell phone ends with 'C', it is on the CDMA network but if it ends with a 'G' it's GSM. You can see the G or C at the end of the model number for the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why can't you look at the settings?
    The carrier is listed here:
    Settings > General > About > Network
    That applies to TracFones/prepaid phones, but determining the carrier is a little more complicated than that with newer models. Specific digits towards the end of the number will match the coding for each carrier. It isn't obvious or easily matched to the carriers without looking it up online. I was able to match one to AT&T last March after the Walmart electronics manager had no clue how to tell which carrier it used. I've never had an iPhone with a model number that ended with a G or a C.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah, I have owned a couple of prepaid phones. I was just about to tell about my story at Walmart because I ran into the same question as I didn't know what carrier the phone would be on when I made the purchase. I remember trying to find the answer on my phone in the store that day and then ended up going to Best Buy. That is good to know about the carrier in Settings. I didn't think to look there first.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

5. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

Actually, all it shows me in settings is the company name TFW, which is the name that Straight Talk shows on the cell phones. They used to use the word HOME, but now use TFW. I believe it stands for TracFone Wireless. This will not tell me what frequency (CDMA or GSM) towers my phone uses. I do believe that I found the answer on MacRumors Forums.
    I am 97% sure that my iPhone 5c utilizes the GSM frequencies.