what future apps you want to see?

wizzra

Oct 20, 2007
hey guys, im new here,
i got my iPhone running (1.02) and enjoy the apps and everything else.

though i am a coder, i could probably code nice stuff for the iPhone, but i don't own a mac (i could use vmware), and there are no tutorials out there that shows how to set up tools on windows :(.

so until that, we should write a nice wish list here on all apps u want to see running on your little iPhone.

my top priority will be:

1. Firefox! - i want firefox on iPhone, no safari!
2. home button shortcut, why do we need to press the home button (and ruine it over the days/weeks/months, while a simple software shortcut is faster and always displayed, like the stardust app) all the time?.
3. mini Photoshop alike, sketcher is avail i know, though limited.
4. wave/mp3..etc editor, like nero waveeditor.

keep the list )

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Number3 is a bit questionable, at least for me that is :p

I had similar programs for the PocketPC. PocketArtist was basically portable photoshop, it had layers, filters, brushes, and could even open PSD files! I use photoshop for about 90% of my day. I use it at work, and come home to use it even more, and in all that time I never used PocketArtist for anything more than novelty to show friends. "Dude check this out, I'm gonna open a PSD and pan for 30 seconds to view it all."

I think had the developers spent more time on actually making a portable paint program rather than a mini-photoshop I would have put it to a lot more use. I'd personally like to see a fingerpainting program which can mimic the effects of water colors. I use a program on my DS (yes I hacked it) called COLORS and it is probably the best portable paint program I have ever used, trust me I tried everything on pretty much every platform.

Check out what people are creating with their DSes, and tell me you wouldn't want this for the iPhone :p

Heres my Sheer Kahn :p all done on the nintendo ds! (Click the playback button on the bottom)

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois

I had similar programs for the PocketPC. PocketArtist was basically portable photoshop, it had layers, filters, brushes, and could even open PSD files! I use photoshop for about 90% of my day. I use it at work, and come home to use it even more, and in all that time I never used PocketArtist for anything more than novelty to show friends. "Dude check this out, I'm gonna open a PSD and pan for 30 seconds to view it all."

I think had the developers spent more time on actually making a portable paint program rather than a mini-photoshop I would have put it to a lot more use. I'd personally like to see a fingerpainting program which can mimic the effects of water colors. I use a program on my DS (yes I hacked it) called COLORS and it is probably the best portable paint program I have ever used, trust me I tried everything on pretty much every platform.

Check out what people are creating with their DSes, and tell me you wouldn't want this for the iPhone :p

Heres my Sheer Kahn :p all done on the nintendo ds! (Click the playback button on the bottom)

That would be a nice program eventhough i cant draw that well.

Not sure what program id like to see though, but probably some other types of games that would push the iPhone to its limits.

VVV some one should try to do this with the iPhone
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...689&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

wizzra

Oct 20, 2007
i just hope Apple will release the sdk that will alow us to code without troubles (though on mac :( )
X999x, drawing with the finger is harder than with a pen like in ds. But yeah paint alike toll will ne very cool

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Excel

For me, the only thing the iPhone is missing is an Excel document editor.

wizzra

Oct 20, 2007
For me, the only thing the iPhone is missing is an Excel document editor.

yeah, an office tools could be very cool,
though docs.google.com can be a really nice solutions for us at the moment.

what i also want to see, are more emulators! the nes is nice one, but very buggy! the pad keep disappearing!
let the emulation world begin! (but damn you Apple! coding for iPhone is hell! :) )

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Does Google docs work with the iPhone? I've tried using it a few times, but it doesn't bring up the keyboard.

wizzra

Oct 20, 2007
Does Google docs work with the iPhone? I've tried using it a few times, but it doesn't bring up the keyboard.
mm yes your right, seems google aways takes you to the mobile version, and won't let you edit (even if selected the desktop version)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida

OMG! Those pictures are so beautiful. I am not into gaming so I am pretty clueless to what goes on with game systems. My kids (2 girls age 7 & 9) have DS's-they would love to try that on their DS. They also have a Wii that I occasionally play really poorly.
I would totally want something to draw like that on the iPhone, although I am not a good artist. It would be really fun, though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
hey guys, im new here,
i got my iPhone running (1.02) and enjoy the apps and everything else.

though i am a coder, i could probably code nice stuff for the iPhone, but i don't own a mac (i could use vmware), and there are no tutorials out there that shows how to set up tools on windows :(.

so until that, we should write a nice wish list here on all apps u want to see running on your little iPhone.

my top priority will be:

1. Firefox! - i want firefox on iPhone, no safari!
2. home button shortcut, why do we need to press the home button (and ruine it over the days/weeks/months, while a simple software shortcut is faster and always displayed, like the stardust app) all the time?.
3. mini Photoshop alike, sketcher is avail i know, though limited.
4. wave/mp3..etc editor, like nero waveeditor.

keep the list )
Umm... why?
Safari on the iPhone is awesome.

wizzra

Oct 20, 2007
Umm... why?
Safari on the iPhone is awesome.
well, consider the fact that firefox is the world best browser, that would be enough :)
but think of it,
1. security
2. faster
3. better
4. plugins

everything that ie and safari aren't

curry

Oct 11, 2007
A well put together version of MIRC for the iPhone...

Colloquy- need a mac
BitchX- problem after problem
ircm- disconnects if you go to do anything else
irssi- doesn't work

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Top on my list would be:
1) Voice dial - who fell asleep on that one?
2) To Do or task list as a stand alone not a part of the calander
3) Ability to pair with a GPS receiver like my Holux240 for mapping
4) Ability to use Mapquest Navigator with # 3 above.
5) Easier/built in ways to "customize" ringtones, wallpapers and icons (be nice to hide ones not used so often)

Just my 2cents

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Top on my list would be:
1) Voice dial - who fell asleep on that one?
2) To Do or task list as a stand alone not a part of the calander
3) Ability to pair with a GPS receiver like my Holux240 for mapping
4) Ability to use Mapquest Navigator with # 3 above.
5) Easier/built in ways to "customize" ringtones, wallpapers and icons (be nice to hide ones not used so often)

Just my 2cents
#1 for sure!
#5 - I know you said built in but...Customize and Summerboard work pretty well. Although a jailbreak is needed to get them on your phone, jailbreaking is so simple and the worst that can happen is you will need to restore your phone. I agree with you though, would be nice if it was built in with no risk involved.

Im not sure my idea would be considered an app, but I would like to see a pop up number displayed along with the calendar icon. Just like your mail, SMS or phone icon shows how many emails or voice mails you have, the calendar would show you how many events you have for that day. Then when your appointment passes or you discard the reminder, the number will decrease.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
1) Notes sync with Outlook Notes

2) A good eBook reader

3) A way to listen to streaming Internet stations (like Live365 and Shoutcast) without going through Orb (for that matter just convert TCPMP.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Ignore call w/ text message!

This was a small capability I grew to love on my Treo and didn't know how much I loved it until I lost it with the iPhone. For those who don't know or can't tell from the title of the post, it enables you to ignore an incoming call by sending a text message -- typed new or from stock messages. Comes in very handy during meetings, etc. Love to see it on the iPhone!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
well, consider the fact that firefox is the world best browser, that would be enough :)
but think of it,
1. security
2. faster
3. better
4. plugins

everything that ie and safari aren't
Firefox being the world's best browser is an opinion.
Safari is actually very secure. (Minus the TIFF exploit)
Better? Um.. opinion.

I must agree that IE sucks, though.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Firefox being the world's best browser is an opinion.
Thats a very bold opinion, lols.

Have you seen the footprints Firefox leaves? I'm close to just 300 megs having this site and MMI's forum open in 2 tabs, ONLY... yeah, not good.

Since Beta 3, I've been using Safari on my PCs and my Macs, lol! Bye bye IE for Mac, you served me well...

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
1.02 here

ive been keeping a list in my notes of what i'd love to see:

- a "bubble level" or "bullseye level" (use the accelerometers to imitate a bubble level which can be initially calibrated on a level surface
-a construction dictionary addtion for weDict
-update iflickr with the ability to upload from the camera rolls
-a g-force meter or accelerometer (there used to be a program for the Gameboy advance Sp that acted as an in car 0-60 Gforce meter.... that would be KILLER)
-and for bluetooth, a program which imitates the program used on windows mobile 5 called BTsend (sends ALL audio sounds to the headset, imitating that the phone is in a call)

if any of this stuff is made/in developmet someone please keep me posted... i'd love to get started on some of this myself...

Last edited by a moderator:

itcomic

Oct 15, 2007
1. document reader (Support microsoft Words, Excel and powerpoint and a good PDF viewer and .txt file)

2. Easy custom ringtone program that allows iPhone to use it (without complicated hacking processes)

3. video/mp3 streaming program (we can stream/download video/mp3 files through Wi-fi to our iPhone from our desktop)

4. Support Java/flash for web surfing

I think that's about it for now, if you can really code all these program, iPhone will be as powerful as any other phone out there and we no longer will be named as crippled phone. Thanks a lot !