What good is fingerprint scan?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
A fellow iPhoner asked me what security you get from using the fingerprint scan when a thief can catch someone inputting their numeric passcode, steal the phone, restart it and enter that code to get into the phone (which is true). What am I missing here? That it minimizes the number of times you have to enter your code hence thieves have fewer opportunities to catch someone entering their code?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
A fellow iPhoner asked me what security you get from using the fingerprint scan when a thief can catch someone inputting their numeric passcode, steal the phone, restart it and enter that code to get into the phone (which is true). What am I missing here? That it minimizes the number of times you have to enter your code hence thieves have fewer opportunities to catch someone entering their code?
Nope - in any secured system, if the thief knows your password / passcode, they can get into your device. The fingerprint scanner is a convenience mechanism in its current state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Nope - in any secured system, if the thief knows your password / passcode, they can get into your device. The fingerprint scanner is a convenience mechanism in its current state.
Michael’s totally right. Anyone who knows your numeric passcode can get in and your finger is unnecessary.

For greater security, choose “Custom Alphanumeric Code” and select a long, difficult-to-guess alphanumeric code like “HowToDiagnoseDiarrheaInMartians987”.

This site helps you determine how strong your chosen password is.

Last edited:

tudy

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Got it. Thank you all. Rafagon- I think I'd like to use your "suggested" alphanumeric code!! Lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
In addition to what Michael said, you can remotely erase the phone or put it in lost mode if it's stolen, which will lock out a thief even if they know your passcode.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Had to do that once when my wife's iPhone 5 was stolen. I went to find my phone on my PC for several hours and the phone wasn't ever turned on so I left the instruction to wipe it when next it signed onto the network. I got email notification two days later that the phone had been turned on and wiped out a few minutes before the email was sent.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
In addition to what Michael said, you can remotely erase the phone or put it in lost mode if it's stolen, which will lock out a thief even if they know your passcode.
I believe with Lost Mode, the thief could unlock your iPhone if they know your passcode.

That’s what the first bullet point on step four on this Apple Support Document seems to suggest, as well as the following paragraph a little below that:

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.07.40 PM.png