What good is fingerprint scan?

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by tudy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. tudy

tudy Member
    Bronze

A fellow iPhoner asked me what security you get from using the fingerprint scan when a thief can catch someone inputting their numeric passcode, steal the phone, restart it and enter that code to get into the phone (which is true). What am I missing here? That it minimizes the number of times you have to enter your code hence thieves have fewer opportunities to catch someone entering their code?

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Nope - in any secured system, if the thief knows your password / passcode, they can get into your device. The fingerprint scanner is a convenience mechanism in its current state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Michael’s totally right. Anyone who knows your numeric passcode can get in and your finger is unnecessary.

For greater security, choose “Custom Alphanumeric Code” and select a long, difficult-to-guess alphanumeric code like “HowToDiagnoseDiarrheaInMartians987”.

This site helps you determine how strong your chosen password is.

#3 Rafagon, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. tudy

tudy Member
    Bronze

Got it. Thank you all. Rafagon- I think I'd like to use your "suggested" alphanumeric code!! Lol

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oops—I neglected to mention how to tell iOS you want a custom alphanumeric code instead of a numeric one—just in case your fellow iPhoner doesn’t know the steps.

These steps were cut and pasted from this article.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 11.13.31 PM.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In addition to what Michael said, you can remotely erase the phone or put it in lost mode if it's stolen, which will lock out a thief even if they know your passcode.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Had to do that once when my wife's iPhone 5 was stolen. I went to find my phone on my PC for several hours and the phone wasn't ever turned on so I left the instruction to wipe it when next it signed onto the network. I got email notification two days later that the phone had been turned on and wiped out a few minutes before the email was sent.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I believe with Lost Mode, the thief could unlock your iPhone if they know your passcode.

That’s what the first bullet point on step four on this Apple Support Document seems to suggest, as well as the following paragraph a little below that:

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.07.40 PM.png

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It is just for your ease, not for making your security better. :S

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is for both. You put your password in fewer times, which decreases how often people can spy on you while you input your passcode. It also secures purchases and certain apps.