What happened to location Services in iOS 10.1??

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by iPutz, Oct 27, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I updated my iPhone 7 to iOS 10.1 and noticed that my Location Services icon at the top of the screen is always on. I force quit all apps that were in the background and the icon is still on. I went looking for the Location Services settings and found them and they all appeared to be set as I had them before. So, if no apps are running then what is using location services? This is also happening with my Wife's iPhone 6 and my son's iPhone 5 as well. There are currently no Purple Locations Services icons next to any of the apps that use location services yet the Location Services icon is lit at the top of my home screen all the time indicating that Location Services is being used. I don't recall this happening in the recent past. The Location Services icon at the top of the screen was only showing up if an app was using the services.

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I think I may have just answered my own question. Going deeper into the Location Services settings I found System Services, One of the items that was toggled on was Location-Based Alerts and the icon next to it was purple. I turned it back off and location services icon at the top of my screen shut off a few seconds later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, there's several things there. Also "Share My Location" will use a lot.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, you have to go deep in there to find all the stuff they have in there. They really buried it quiet deep.

I have advocated turning most of these off.

Since apparently updating to iOS 10.1 turned one of these on for you, I myself will go into that screen on my phone and make sure all of the unnecessary location polling is still off.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

SHHHHHH if it's quiet deep.
    Hahahahaa

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Darn it, I need to be rebooted again!