What happens if I cancel my AT&T account?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I know this has been discussed before but I am thinking seriously about canceling my AT&T account and just using my iPhone as a Touch. I have a couple of specific questions though, I could use some help with. I get terrible phone reception in my area. I can not even use the phone in my house. I have zero bars or it says no service. Calls that come to it, typically go to voice mail. If I want to make a call I have to step outside (and no I don't have lead lined walls, just a regular house). When riding around anywhere within a 5 mile radius of my house I get dropped calls about 50% of the time. I looked on the AT&T website and it says that I should be getting "good" reception. I think their definition and mine must be two different things. The only real think that is saving me is I still have my Sprint Moto Q, so most times I am carrying around two phones. My family knows that if they can't get me on my iPhone to try my Q.

Now my question - I am thinking seriously about just paying the early termination fee and going back to using my Q as my only phone. But I do like the non-phone features of the iPhone, so hope to just keep it and use it as a Touch basically. If I do this, what happens when Apple releases a new update? If I update, is it going to find out I am not activated and require me to activate again? What about syncing, is there any problems doing that?

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has done this and what your experiences have been.

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
This doesn't answer any of your questions, but you do have another option to consider. You could get a cell phone signal booster for your home and or car. I think Radio Shack sells something called zbooster.

pjw

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
i think that if you do not get reception at your home you can cancel your service without having to pay the early termination fee. I have heard that so i could be wrong. you may have to fight with them too.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you should be able to get out of your contract if you legtimately don't get reception. without playing the fee.

and no, you wouldn't be able to update the phone again, because after the update, it would check with AT&T to check your account status

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Definitely complain until the they let you out of it free. It's their fault you don't have reception.

BTW - Seen AT&T's new ad campaign? It's a picture of one guy on a street that says: "He lives in Catucornia. You live in more than one place, so AT&T works in more than one place. Where do you live?"

We should make one that says "He lives in Cary, NC. Does he have AT&T service? I don't think so."

classic695

Nov 3, 2007
you should be able to get out of your contract if you legtimately don't get reception. without playing the fee.

and no, you wouldn't be able to update the phone again, because after the update, it would check with AT&T to check your account status
No, this is not correct. Providers do not guarantee coverage anywhere within their service areas. If you move outside all the areas covered by AT&T's built-out licenses (like Vermont) and can prove it, then they might let you out of your contract.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
you had 30 days to cancel the service for poor reception at your home. If you've waited longer than that, then you'll be charged the early termination fee. I don't know what will happen when you sync your phone after terminating the AT&T service. You're sort of in "uncharted" territory there.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
you had 30 days to cancel the service for poor reception at your home. If you've waited longer than that, then you'll be charged the early termination fee.
You are 100% correct. All any AT&T subscriber needs to do is read your contract carefuly and you will find it's clearly stated there. You entered into a legal binding contract. Period.

Next time read the contract first, before you sign and you will avoid any surprises. You will know where you stand going into the agreement. Remember it really does not matter if it's AT&T, or Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile etc.... it's the entire cell phone carrier businesss that is predatory.

Much like the gasoline companies. You pay X amount for gasoline at their whim. They back it up with Stories..... Untrue Stories...I live a few miles from a Chevron refinery, and we pay twice as much as the customer that lives 150 miles from the refinery. What's that all about..... the MONEY!

So before Ranting on AT&T, Remember there is lots of them
Chevron
B of A
Exxon
Wells Fargo
Allstate
State Farm
The List goes on and on.
So you see........ well...... you get the picture.

I agree, it's crappy but that's the life of a consumer.....:p

And hey! ~ It could be worse, at least we're in the USA.......:)

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
Chevron
B of A
Exxon
Wells Fargo
Allstate
State Farm
The List goes on and on.

Not to mention that evil empire WALMART:p

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
you had 30 days to cancel the service for poor reception at your home. If you've waited longer than that, then you'll be charged the early termination fee. I don't know what will happen when you sync your phone after terminating the AT&T service. You're sort of in "uncharted" territory there.
This is true. Although now, ATT and Verizon pro-rate your temination fee, so at least it won't be the full $175, or whatever it is. As for future updates, just wait a bit, and there will be hacks that will unlock/activate your phone for you...

aziphone

Jul 5, 2007
A had good coverage from July 1, 2007 until October 1, 2007 until AT&T decided not to renew a roaming tower agreement with T-Mobile and had no coverage at his house. AT&T told him this and they agreed to let him out of his contract without the $175 penalty.

He love his iPhone so much that he unlocked it with SimFree and move to T-Mobile since he could get reception with them. He says that with the exception of the not having virtual voicemail on the phone everything else works great. Future update with Apple are going to be an issue, but he really had no choice since AT&T had zero coverage where he used his phone 75% of the time.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
A had good coverage from July 1, 2007 until October 1, 2007 until AT&T decided not to renew a roaming tower agreement with T-Mobile and had no coverage at his house. AT&T told him this and they agreed to let him out of his contract without the $175 penalty.

He love his iPhone so much that he unlocked it with SimFree and move to T-Mobile since he could get reception with them. He says that with the exception of the not having virtual voicemail on the phone everything else works great. Future update with Apple are going to be an issue, but he really had no choice since AT&T had zero coverage where he used his phone 75% of the time.
He was lucky that AT&T was that understanding. I hear these arguments all the time, but it doesn't really matter how good your cell phone is if you don't have service coverage where you need it.

james95363

Jan 29, 2008
nothing will happen

nothin will happen to your iPhone with out no contract if you hook it to iTunes. The only way it will get messup is if you update then it will get deactivated. But you have the option of jailbreaking (which these days is extremely easy) and just use it as an ipod. Currently you can jailbreak verion 2.02.
just curious don't you have to return your iPhone back to Apple?

slainerf

Oct 30, 2010
You are 100% correct. All any AT&T subscriber needs to do is read your contract carefuly and you will find it's clearly stated there. You entered into a legal binding contract. Period.

Next time read the contract first, before you sign and you will avoid any surprises. You will know where you stand going into the agreement. Remember it really does not matter if it's AT&T, or Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile etc.... it's the entire cell phone carrier businesss that is predatory.

Much like the gasoline companies. You pay X amount for gasoline at their whim. They back it up with Stories..... Untrue Stories...I live a few miles from a Chevron refinery, and we pay twice as much as the customer that lives 150 miles from the refinery. What's that all about..... the MONEY!

Chevron
B of A
Exxon
Wells Fargo
Allstate
State Farm
The List goes on and on.

hey, I came from Chile, and we pay just for calls that we make, if they call u is free for u.