What happens to music files after uninstalling iTunes?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by jovencane, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jovencane

jovencane New Member

hello everyone

i am brand new to the apple world and i recently received an ipod.

i have a lot of music i want to synch onto the ipod.

but i was wondering what happens if i were to delete the itunes from my computer

because i heard that the files become unplayable by any other media except itunes.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have to use iTunes. If you were to delete it, your music would still play on the iPod. If you sync the music through iTunes, you have to use the Music app to play it. If you add the music to apps, you can use the apps to play it. You can delete iTunes if you want, though it would be much wiser to just stop using it. You'll still need it to restore if you ever have to restore and you'll still need it to update to full iOS versions if you ever plan on jailbreaking. Jailbreaking isn't compatible with OTA updates.

3. jovencane

jovencane New Member

sorry i don't quite follow.

i have a pc so i don't have any music app to play the music files. i'm thinking i should just use my backup pc for synching with the ipod.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I guess I'm not following you, either. Why do you want to delete iTunes on your primary computer? It's best to use your primary computer since you probably won't keep the backup computer up to date.

5. jovencane

jovencane New Member

yes. this used ipod i received is a 'temporary' solution until my primary non apple phone is being repaired. i have a long commute and love listening to music on my way. this ipod was the only method of doing so.

as soon as i receive my smart phone, i plan on going back to it.

my question is if I would be able to. would my files post-itunes work on non apple products?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. Non-Apple smart phones don't use iTunes. Your music will stay in your music folder after you import it to iTunes for your iPod. It will still be in your music folder after you delete iTunes.

7. jovencane

jovencane New Member

I guess it's really silly, but I heard that the music files (mp3 or wma or whatever) gets converted to a format only playable via iTunes. is this true?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, that's not true. If your files are .mp3, they will stay .mp3 in iTunes.

9. jovencane

jovencane New Member

thanks for your help! and last question:

does iTunes report music files that weren't properly acquired if you catch my drift?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Absolutely not. It doesn't matter how or where you downloaded the music. It will all work fine and iTunes doesn't report anything.

11. jovencane

jovencane New Member

hey Europa, thank you so much for your responses. I feel safe about using itunes now. thanks again!