What happens to the 3rd gen iPad?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
They're keeping the 2nd gen as a lower priced model and introducing a 4th gen so where does this leave the 3rd gen? If they just abandon it it feels wrong! I feel cheated into buying the 3rd gen and now I have an iPhone 5 with lightning cable and an iPad that's not lightning! I could understand this if it was a year since getting my iPad but 6 months!? I feel we should be allowed to trade up, if not at no cost, a very minimal cost!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
They're keeping the 2nd gen as a lower priced model and introducing a 4th gen so where does this leave the 3rd gen? If they just abandon it it feels wrong! I feel cheated into buying the 3rd gen and now I have an iPhone 5 with lightning cable and an iPad that's not lightning! I could understand this if it was a year since getting my iPad but 6 months!? I feel we should be allowed to trade up, if not at no cost, a very minimal cost!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app
I agree!

From what I can tell the 3rd gen stock will be exhausted (at a lower price) then vanish like it never existed... I found it very odd that Apple did this...

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
That really sucks. Just got iPad 3 about 4-5 months ago.

Hard to keep up with the Apple machine.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
So Apple has forced my hand. I have the iPad 3 and I usually sell the older version to upgrade to the newer model, but I just bought the 3. Unfortunately if I wait for the 5th generation I will lose too much resell value and will pay more than I want to for it. Uhhhh 1st world problems.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes, 1st world indeed. But I'm gonna do the upgrade if I can get a good price for my 3.

I understand a shorter product cycle for the iPad vs the iPhone. People don't have annual contracts with iPads, so there are more folks buying them year-round. They tried to soften the blow by just calling it "The iPad" with the last revision, but I think they will continue this trend. Whatever current tech they can cram into the thing to keep it up with the Joneses (read: Microsoft Surface), they will put out.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Just lowered my CL ad to $520 with Smartcover to beat the CL market in my area. We'll see how it goes...
What size/version is your iPad? I'm concidering doing the same thing, but not sure what I can get for it. Know what I'd need to get, though. I have a 64 GB wifi with AppleCare+. Was thinking about putting it on CL for $749 & go down from there...wouldn't go much lower than $700, though. I'd include a leather Smart Cover, 30 pin to VGA, 30 pin camera connector kit & iPad dock.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
During the podcast last night, Marianne suggested I sell my 4S to fund all these new products. I typically don't sell my iPhones, but in this case, I feel it may be justified. If I unlock it, I think I can get a fair amount for it. Couple it with my 3G + 64GB iPad 2 and that should be enough for the fourth gen iPad + mini. I'm willing to make some compromises on storage and cellular. Not sure which though.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
already seeing crazy low prices on CL for the 3rd iPad. This might be the bump I need to get a newer iPad and retire the 1st one. I don't see enough difference to make me want the iPad 3s so I'll just find a gently used one on CL. Maybe sell one of my Android tablets to cover some of the cost.