What happens when new iPhone is released

srose

Bronze
Jun 10, 2008
Hi
I have an iPhone 3G with18 month contract on O2. When a new iPhone is released what happens, do I get a free upgrade or do I need to pay for the new one?

Thanks

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Nobody is sure yet. With the V1 iPhone people could upgrade for free at any time because the original was unsubsidised. The 3g however was free for most contracts, so it remains to be seen. Waiting on an announcement from o2 in the summer!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hi
I have an iPhone 3G with18 month contract on O2. When a new iPhone is released what happens, do I get a free upgrade or do I need to pay for the new one?

Thanks
Do you mean a free phone (new version)? The chances of that are zero. You will have to pay the full unsubsidized cost (at least $200 more than people that are eligible for upgrade) if you are not eligible for upgrade. I'm not sure about O2, but AT&T eligibility is 12 months for service plans more than $100 a month and 20 months for plans less than $100 a month.
The 3g however was free for most contracts
lol, free?
The 8 gb was $299 subsidized.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
in other countries the iPhone had different price point

but i doubt the new one will be a free upgrade, id settle for just a low early upgrade price

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Do you mean a free phone (new version)? The chances of that are zero. You will have to pay the full unsubsidized cost (at least $200 more than people that are eligible for upgrade) if you are not eligible for upgrade. I'm not sure about O2, but AT&T eligibility is 12 months for service plans more than $100 a month and 20 months for plans less than $100 a month.

lol, free?
The 8 gb was $299 subsidized.
If you check your facts, the post is about o2 3g iPhones, and in the UK (which is where we are talking about) the iPhone 3g was free on an 18 month contract!

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
My guess, if you will have to pay something.... they wouldn't be trying to clear existing inventory (3G) like they are, if they were going to let everyone take them back for free in a few months. At least thats what they're doing in the states.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I'm not sure about O2, but AT&T eligibility is 12 months for service plans more than $100 a month and 20 months for plans less than $100 a month.

Actually my bill is 155 a month (2 3g's) and i just checked with AT&T and line one is eligible after 18months and like 2 after 20 months . They said there is no 12 month eligibility for the iPhone because your bill is over 100 a month.

That was at a AT&T corporate store

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I would think that they want us to upgrade. Since many of us jumped on the bandwagon early, we are going to be close to 12 months with our 3G's. They will probably give us a subsidized price if we go extend our contract for another two years (we would have 1 year left on the 3G contract). Thus, giving us an upgrade pricing.

Remember, they made their money on the 3G. Time to make money on us again.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I would think that they want us to upgrade. Since many of us jumped on the bandwagon early, we are going to be close to 12 months with our 3G's. They will probably give us a subsidized price if we go extend our contract for another two years (we would have 1 year left on the 3G contract). Thus, giving us an upgrade pricing.

Remember, they made their money on the 3G. Time to make money on us again.
this is what i assume to, the people most likely to get the new iPhone are those of us who already have the 3g, i think att and Apple will find some way for us to upgrade

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Yeah, my guess is they'll offer current 3G owners an upgrade price regardless of contract. We'll probably just have to lengthen our current contract. Makes sense to move these things.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Actually the 8 GB was $199 subsidized lol.
Thanks for the correction. Sorry I meant the 16 GB was $299.

If you check your facts, the post is about o2 3g iPhones, and in the UK (which is where we are talking about) the iPhone 3g was free on an 18 month contract!
Either way, if the 18 months isn't up, you're not eligible for upgrade and I really doubt your going to get a free phone.