What Happens When You Sync?

stonesfan

Mar 20, 2009
My first post here. Can someone point me to a thread or link that explains exactly what happens when contacts are synced on the iPhone? I'm trying to understand if all contacts on the iPhone are copied to the PC and any contacts on the PC are deleted if they are not on the iPhone. Also, if I change a phone number for a contact on the PC, does this update back to the iPhone? I'm really confused. I've Googled and searched the Apple website, but I can't seem to find the answer I need.

My system is Windows XP and I'm using Outlook Express with Windows Address Book.

Thanks in advance

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Welcome to EiC! Congratulations on your first post, and i hope you have a good stay. Well in my past experiences, my contacts have been synced to Outlook. But just to be sure, I also sync my contacts to Gmail.

When you say you change something on your PC, Could you please tell me which program you are using?

With Outlook it updates your iPhone every time you sync. But if you use MobileMe, it should update promptly after you change it.

Feb 19, 2009
Which portions of your contacts are you asking? In my experiece, I never synced any contacts intentionally but when I got a new phone and the iTunes detected a new iPhone, asked if I wanted to restore it to the previous one, it moved everything back on to the last time I synced my original phone in. Contacts were all the same and even text messages were there