what has happened to my battery!

Jul 30, 2008
In the past week my iPhone battery seems to be at about half what it was. With 3g off, Bluetooth off and moderate wifi I used to get about 6 hours of battery. Now at 2 1/2 hours I am approaching 20% left.

This is a drastic change that happened completely out of the blue.

Anyone else?

Cheers!

failsafe

Bronze
Oct 17, 2008
San Diego
Are you using push email? I had a problem about a month ago- My battery was draining at an insane rate. I could literally watch the battery drain in front of my eyes (using BossPrefs numeric battery). I would go from full charge to 0% in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I'm using push email from my work Exchange server. I deleted my account and set it up again. Battery usage went back to normal and has been fine ever since.

I found a few pages that had mentioned the problem was with the phone getting stuck in a loop and continually contacting the server to open the push session.

In the past week my iPhone battery seems to be at about half what it was. With 3g off, Bluetooth off and moderate wifi I used to get about 6 hours of battery. Now at 2 1/2 hours I am approaching 20% left.

This is a drastic change that happened completely out of the blue.

Anyone else?

Cheers!
also turn off location mode this eats up some battery too...

Jul 30, 2008
Thanks folks. No push. No location services and I have read every battery article available. This is a case of no different settings but only half the battery of a week ago.

Thanks folks. No push. No location services and I have read every battery article available. This is a case of no different settings but only half the battery of a week ago.
maybe a restore would fix the issue... if not then you should go to Apple

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Turning it off then. GPS doesn't even work for me because I need to contact my Network Provider for them to activate it for me. I'm not an AT&T user and I don't even live in the States, so it's no use.

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Funny I noticed the same thing for a few days. I was trying to figure out what went wrong myself. It seemed to happen after I installed a few new apps. I think it was Fieldrunners game and orb live. My battery seems to be working better now, I have no idea why, I know it makes no sense. Have you done a hard reset of the phone? That may be able to get it out of some loop it was stuck in.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Try this:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Don't worry, it won't wipe your apps or your music, but you may have to set up your e-mail again, as well as other settings that you've changed.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Try this:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Don't worry, it won't wipe your apps or your music, but you may have to set up your e-mail again, as well as other settings that you've changed.
So it's you, Leo The Fox. That's sweet, good to have a fellow gunbounder here haha. ^_^

Kita

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
You have apps running in the background that's not supposed to. This happened to me and the Apple rep told me to restore the iPhone but NOT the backup data! My battery life went from loseing 20 percent battery in 1 hour to 20 percent in a day after I restored my iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would reset network settings, check it for a day.

If it's still bad, then reset all settings, and check it out for a day.

If it's still a no-go, do a restore and that should fix it.

I'm always interested if there are solutions to known issues like this one that are less extreme than a restore.

YAKUZA

Jul 22, 2007
Strange, I have been having the same battery problem that started last week and I have no idea why. I am doing Psylichon's recommendation and will report which works the best.

YAKUZA

Jul 22, 2007
well its been over a couple of days and my bettery life has vastly improved. I did the resets and turned off push. No need to restore for me whew! Thanks Psylichon!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have been testing since I got mine, and I average about 3.5 hours of usage, mostly wifi/3G browsing with a few short phone calls, and maybe 20 minutes total of apps by the time I reach the 20% mark. I don't like getting that low with the battery.
I leave 3G on, but everything else is off. No Push, No Location Services, No nothin that isn't being used.
Personally, I feel that this is very "short" of what Apple was saying was average battery life. I live next to a tower (less than a 1/4 mile away) and my 3G signal is always MAX. I'm supposed to get about 6 hours of talk time. A 2 hour phone call with my mom (she's lonely) about killed my battery.
Generally, the first hour to an hour and a half goes by with nothing showing on the battery indicator. after that, it goes down-hill quickly.

Is this what other 3G users are experiencing, or an I correct in believing that my battery is sub-par?

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
I was getting about 2hours of usage till the 20% mark. I did a restore as new and now I'm back to the 5 hour range :)