What I Think happened...

Are you upgrading?

• Yes, I'm eligible for the subsidized iPhone.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, I plan to keep my iPhone for a while.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No, i'm waiting for next year.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Yes, I'm upgrading and i'm not eligible for the subsidy.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Please bare with my spelling - I'm on my phone :)

Before I go on, the 's' in 3Gs stands for speed - it was in the keynote.

What I think happened is the iPhone 3g was rushed out last year to fill the spot for the iPhone 3Gs because it wasn't ready yet. So in reality the iPhone 3Gs is the real iPhone 3G. I feel that next years iPhone (what ever it may be called) will be the iPhone that was supposed to be released this year.

The only hardware that was increased (significantly) was the addition of a compass, upgraded 3MP camera wit video recording capability and (correct me if I'm wrong) double the ram. The compass (to me atleast) wasn't such a big bonus, but the ram was.

If you have a think about it, voice control, video recording (my 3g can record video via cycorder) and other features the 3gs has, all the other iPhones can have. So why did Apple not let us have this stuff? To make the 3gs seem to hAve a bigger upgrade.

Here in Australia I can get the new 32gb 3gs for $0 and then extend another 2 year contract but I'm not going to because I feel that next years iPhone will be focusing more on hardware rather than the software, although there will be some minor tweaks obviously.

Just my 2 cents on what's going to happen.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
What about the faster processor?

And the iPhone that will be released in 2010 will be the iPhone that was supposed to be released in 2010. Jeesh.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
What about the faster processor?

And the iPhone that will be released in 2010 will be the iPhone that was supposed to be released in 2010. Jeesh.
Well you got the gust of it anyway :) jeesh! I'll edit the post soon.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there were plenty of hardware upgrades this year. So if we assume your logic is correct, then there won't be another significant upgrade until 2011.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
there were plenty of hardware upgrades this year. So if we assume your logic is correct, then there won't be another significant upgrade until 2011.
Yeah but I want a redesign of the main body! I know it's stupid but I just want one! And I know that they will do one next year :) and then I'll have to upgrade again in 2011..

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I wouldn't compare the Cycorder camera with what's on the 3gs.

It's...not close.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I wouldn't compare the Cycorder camera with what's on the 3gs.

It's...not close.
Just saying, it's possible - never said they are comparable. Just like voice control, it's possible.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah but I want a redesign of the main body! I know it's stupid but I just want one! And I know that they will do one next year :) and then I'll have to upgrade again in 2011..
So what you're saying is that a significant change to the housing would be a major upgrade to you, enabling your peers to see right away that you have the newest model iPhone and are thereforee ultra-cool...

Ah, youth - it's wasted on the young.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The 3Gs had many significant hardware updates, RAM, Processor, Camera, Magnometer, and a new infrastructure to support it. it's one of the reasons that there isn't a jailbreak for it yet, the hardware is that different.
Personally, even though the hardware update is significant, it wasn't for me. I honestly don't think the changes are enough for me to spend the money, even if I could afford it. I will update next year, but only if the phone is 4G compatible, as I will have it for another 2 years.
With next years phone, I think there will be a departure from some of the 3G(s) setup. I speculate a forward facing camera, dual speakers out the back, and a dual or quad core processor with 512 MB of RAM. But that is only speculation.
What I don't want to see is trying to make the phone smaller - unless the screen itself remains the same size. I think the size is perfect, I think that the materials could be better, and I believe that the next firmware will open even more possibilities that none of us have even thought of yet.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's the functional ability that I'm interested in, and it's a lot faster. I can take pictures twice as fast with the 3GS because there is less delay between shots. The video quality is much better than with Cycorder. I'm actually glad its the exact same size because my 3G cases and juice pack will work with it.

jaydub

Jun 22, 2009
kids these days

It is kinda fast. Just saying'.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I disagree that the jump from the 3G to 3G S is the bigger upgrade than the v1 to 3G.

The jump from EDGE to 3G was huge for internet speed. The inclusion of a GPS changed the way we socially network. And the creation of the App Store opened up a huge box of possibilities and has made the iPhone an actual gaming platform.

The main upgrades for the 3G S:
Video camera - nice, but not a must-have.
Voice recognition - with the right app, you can do it on the other iPhones (I use vlingo).
Compass - another convenience feature but not necessary, unless you like to do a lot of Man vs. Wild.
Nike + iPod - mostly for serious runners. I already use Distance Pro for what I do and it's great.
32GB - the one really needed upgrade but I'm not shelling out $399-$499 for the unsubsidized price just for this.

I think next year's iPhone will be the major upgrade with a multi-core processor, video teleconferencing, redesigned backing and possibly even compatibility with a future 4G network that AT&T will be starting up. I'm not sure if a 64GB flash drive that can fit in the iPhone has been produced yet.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree that the jump from the 3G to 3G S is the bigger upgrade than the v1 to 3G.

The jump from EDGE to 3G was huge for internet speed. The inclusion of a GPS changed the way we socially network. And the creation of the App Store opened up a huge box of possibilities and has made the iPhone an actual gaming platform.

The main upgrades for the 3G S:
Video camera - nice, but not a must-have.
Voice recognition - with the right app, you can do it on the other iPhones (I use vlingo).
Compass - another convenience feature but not necessary, unless you like to do a lot of Man vs. Wild.
Nike + iPod - mostly for serious runners. I already use Distance Pro for what I do and it's great.
32GB - the one really needed upgrade but I'm not shelling out $399-$499 for the unsubsidized price just for this.

I think next year's iPhone will be the major upgrade with a multi-core processor, video teleconferencing, redesigned backing and possibly even compatibility with a future 4G network that AT&T will be starting up. I'm not sure if a 64GB flash drive that can fit in the iPhone has been produced yet.
I really can't understand why people downplay the 3GS upgrade. I have noticed that it's usually people who haven't upgraded and experienced the improvements first hand and care about the fact that it looks the same as the 3G. Personally, I'm glad it's the same size as the 3G because my cases and Mophie juice pack charger work with it.

The stock video recorder has more features than the JB apps as well as better quality, and you don't have to JB to have it. Being able to edit them in the app itself is awesome. The processor is faster (the 3G used the same processor as the V1). Apps load much faster and internet browsing is faster. It has a better camera with autofocus and touch to focus. The voice controls are far superior to any app store voice controls. You simply push the home button and regardless if it's locked or not, activates the voice controls (you don't have to slide to unlock and open an app). It has double the RAM (the 3G had the same amount as the V1). It has more storage capacity and a louder speaker. It has an a fingerprint resistant screen. The compass feature is very handy for orienting the maps to the direction you are traveling. It has a longer lasting battery. It includes headphones with additional features. The voice control from the headphones is very convenient and impressive. It also has additional OS features not available on the 3G like remaining battery percentage, reverse video (for low light situations like movie theaters), increased bluetooth compatibility, and touch to focus camera features.

Is any of this a "must have"? No, of coarse not, but neither was the jump from a V1 to a 3G. It's just a better user experience. With all the above improvements, who cares if it looks the same?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I really can't understand why people downplay the 3GS upgrade. I have noticed that it's usually people who haven't upgraded and experienced the improvements first hand and care about the fact that it looks the same as the 3G. Personally, I'm glad it's the same size as the 3G because my cases and Mophie juice pack charger work with it.
My sister has the 3G S and I have experienced it first-hand. I set up her phone and I'm constantly using it to help her customize it.

I'm not saying people shouldn't upgrade. Many people should. In fact, if money were no object I'd upgrade.

But, since I'm on a budget, it's just not worth it for me to pay the unsubsidized price.
I still think the jump from v1 to 3G was larger. And I don't think that should minimize the great advancements of the 3G S.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree, I think this is more of a phone hardware upgrade. I don't count the apps store or the look of the phone, just the phone specs. The 3G was more similar in specs to the V1 than the 3GS is to the 3G.

Not being able to afford to upgrade is no reason to downplay the upgrades.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The fact is even Apple considers the 3G->3GS a bigger upgrade than v1("1,1")->3G("1,2"). That's why they designate the 3GS as "iPhone 2,1" as opposed to "1,3". Nearly EVERYTHING internally was upgraded: Processor, memory, graphics, storage, camera, compass, 7.2 mbps 3G capability... there isn't much left to upgrade after all that.

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
The 3Gs had many significant hardware updates, RAM, Processor, Camera, Magnometer, and a new infrastructure to support it. it's one of the reasons that there isn't a jailbreak for it yet, the hardware is that different.
Personally, even though the hardware update is significant, it wasn't for me. I honestly don't think the changes are enough for me to spend the money, even if I could afford it. I will update next year, but only if the phone is 4G compatible, as I will have it for another 2 years.
With next years phone, I think there will be a departure from some of the 3G(s) setup. I speculate a forward facing camera, dual speakers out the back, and a dual or quad core processor with 512 MB of RAM. But that is only speculation.
What I don't want to see is trying to make the phone smaller - unless the screen itself remains the same size. I think the size is perfect, I think that the materials could be better, and I believe that the next firmware will open even more possibilities that none of us have even thought of yet.
yes and iam glad i didn't upgrade cause the 2010 iPhone is gunna be better ( no duh!) but the next firmware like hawk said is gunna be awsome, 4.0? holy crap dude we barley made it to 3.0! i cant imagine how 4.0 is gunna be!

2white2fight

Bronze
Mar 31, 2009
925 the bay
The fact is even Apple considers the 3G->3GS a bigger upgrade than v1("1,1")->3G("1,2"). That's why they designate the 3GS as "iPhone 2,1" as opposed to "1,3". Nearly EVERYTHING internally was upgraded: Processor, memory, graphics, storage, camera, compass, 7.2 mbps 3G capability... there isn't much left to upgrade after all that.
wrong.. lol sorry but every more memory than this, graphics will be better, basicly everything will be better and thats just how tech works, no matter what you think you cant upgrade you can always make it faster and better , i personally think the 2mp to 3mp is lame cause it should be at least to 5 or 7. but maybe there saving it for the next iPhone and basicly the iPhone ( if not already) is gunna be as fast as a modern day pc or mac

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
wrong.. lol sorry but every more memory than this, graphics will be better, basicly everything will be better and thats just how tech works, no matter what you think you cant upgrade you can always make it faster and better , i personally think the 2mp to 3mp is lame cause it should be at least to 5 or 7. but maybe there saving it for the next iPhone and basicly the iPhone ( if not already) is gunna be as fast as a modern day pc or mac
i'm going to try to be nice here, but that is THE worst argument ever. The 3GS's upgrades don't count because "that's how it goes"?

Fine, let's accept that for the sake of argument. It effectively nullifies the EDGE->3G upgrade between the v1 iPhone and 3G.

so then what would it take? a freakin kitchen sink?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How did you construe that he was saying next years iPhone won't be better than this years iPhone? They are improved every year, if they weren't, nobody would buy them. You can always make it faster, and they did. You can take amazing photos with a 3 megapixel camera. A good 3 megapixel camera will take better pics than a cheap 7 megapixel camera. Some judge a camera by the megapixels and that is a really bad idea, there is much more to the story than that number. It's the optics you need to look at. Check the 3GS photos thread, you'll see some amazing shots. It's a huge improvement from the 3G IMO. Anyway, it wouldn't be a good businesss decision to jump that fast, if they did, there would be no where to jump next year. Next years won't be as fast as a modern PC/Mac. It's way to small for that power. Anyway, if technology moved that fast, the PC's and Macs would be much faster too. I'm just saying they move on different time lines.