What if Apple will update its entire iOS device lineup to support the new, smaller dock connector?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by imutter, Aug 6, 2012.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

iMore has learned that Apple intends to update their entire lineup of iOS device products to support the new, miniaturized Dock connector, and to do it as early the rumored September 12 special event this fall. This would include the new iPhone 5, the the new iPod nano and iPod touch, the rumored 7-inch iPad mini, and an updated version of the current 9.7-inch iPad.
    This is the link
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/06/apple-will-update-its-entire-line-of-ios-devices-with-the-new-miniaturized-dock-connector-this-fall/

I have not bought anything with the "old" connector since the first rumors of this appeared.
    I believe mostly Bluetooth will be how most items connect with each other anyway.
    I am also glad I opted out of the new iPad which may at a minimum be upgraded to the new connector.
    I am still not certain if I believe the iPad mini rumors. and as for iPods I really not care.
    For me the iPhone might as well be called the evolution to the human body .

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

If Apple plans to include the new doc connector in the new products coming out, that's great. At first I was a little pissed that they would come out with another iPad -another The New iPad (3) that was thinner and with the new doc connector. But then I thought about it and as long as there is an adapter for my iPad 3 then that would be great.

I really can't see Apple updating The New iPad (3) in the middle of the cycle. I expect that the next iPad refresh, next March, will have the new doc and be thinner and yadda yadda yadda. I would be surprised if Apple updated it in month 6 with major changes just because of an adapter. I think its possible and makes sense that they might make the next production run of The New iPad (3) with the new adapter but no other major changes until next refresh in March. That would make sense. I expect major internal and major external (thinner) changes next March not next month.

Hey it's all up in the air until we see the Keynote in September. My logic is not their logic. My hopes on this are purely selfish I suppose. I don't want my iPad to be outdated 6 months in. But as long as it's supported, and it will be, that's what counts. :rolleyes:

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda
    My logic is not their logic
    Yeah I agree on that!

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm on the fence with this rumor. At some point, they have to move to the new dock connector. They don't want to leave their premium product behind. That means a slight change to the iPad 3. I could see this going either way. I have a hard time picturing a customer walking into an Apple Store this holiday season, leaving with a new iPad 3 and then having to hear about how they'll need an adapter to use the "new" accessories available in the store.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I agree with this. As I said in my previous post, "I think its possible and makes sense that they might make the next production run of The New iPad (3) with the new adapter but no other major changes until next refresh in March." Or, they could just leave it alone and continue to sell it as it is.

It could go either way. A Christmas iPad 3 with the old doc needing an adapter to work with the new accessories might be off putting, but then again, the iPad 3 comes with a plug and a USB cable so there is no problem there. The only thing might be a cool accessory that is only for the new doc and won't work with the iPad (3) unless you have an adapter. I think the offerings of cool accessories to work with the new doc and iPad won't be available right away as manufacturers have to adjust so there might not be a big problem with that. The next iPad refresh in March will have the new doc, by then the transition will be in full force.

No matter how Aple will handle it, I know they'll try to make it as smooth a transition as they can.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I actually believe most accessories will connect with Bluetooth. There is a big push for 4.0 .
    The connector will be more or less be charging (evenso adventually that will be wireless too)
    I hardly ever connect to iTunes through my PC anymore.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Well, don't I just suck! I don't use Bluetooth at all for my iPhone or iPad! I guess I'm in the stone ages. Apple, yeah, they'll drag me out of the stone age kicking and screaming!

I really haven't used a bluetooth device with my iPhone like the ear piece. I always thought they looked stupid and then I couldn't find one I liked and then there was no way to control my music and have it sound good through the earpiece so I forgot all about it . My iMac uses Bluetooth for the keyboard and Magic mouse but that's about it. I'm sure there have been strides in Bluetooth technology and I can possibly get a set up that will play my music in stereo and sounds just as good as m VModa ear buds, but I haven't found it. Honestly, I stopped looking. But I tell you this, if Apple makes it appealing, as I know they will, I'm in.

After my recent iCloud fiasco, I always sync my iPad and iPhone through my iMac. It's just safer and more secure. If I need to restore from a previous backup, I know I can not rely on iCloud so physically hooking it up to my i Mac is the next best thing.

I do still backup to iCloud just in case Apple irons out the kinks soon at least I am covered both ways.

Wireless charging sounds awesome! I can't wait until its actually here.

8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I hope that the adapter is available, as soon as the new iPhone is. I can't live without my Bose Sound Dock (and it does act as my alarm clock speaker too). lol