What if competitors pitched the Touch as an iPhone replacement?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I was just thinking of how many "me-too" phones we're going to see in the near future and how they will most likely fail to capture marketshare. Ultimately, these phones will just be consolation prizes for those still locked on their carrier by a contract.

Question: What kind of phone would you need to make to kill an iPhone then?

Answer: A Treo or Blackberry with WiFi sharing.

Lets be honest, those phones kill the iPhone at what its supposed to be good at, communication. Theres little point in creating a mobile OS from the ground up to compete with Apple, their code is poetry and their visuals are works of art. Rather, offer a phone that will seamlessly connect to a Touch and offer 3G mobile browsing speeds.

It's a win/win situation. You get a good phone thats the best at what it does, and all that extra fluff that makes the iPhone soo pretty can go back to where it belongs, on a portable entertainment device.

Anyway, I thought that would be quite a marketing pitch if it ever materialized. I love my iPhone but I think I'm more enamored by what it does outside of being a phone, and for all intents and purposes thats being nothing more than a glorified Touch at this point in time.