What in the world?

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
So I used to get NO SERVICE what so ever when in my room. I have to walk out in to the front of my house to get reception usually.

Well I just found a spot in the corner of my room where if I set my phone there it will get FULL reception. I mean absolutely perfect reception, I made several test calls without a hiccup, but if I even move it a foot I lose reception, oh yes by the way I also have it sitting on the dock (but not actually inside, wont fit because of the iskin revo I have.

Though this is really weird, it's also awesome! I can now receive my texts right away, and if I want to make a phone call I just use speaker phone and have it sit there.

Anyone have any similar experiences with the reception?

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Sounds like my room. I get perfect reception just about anywhere excpet my room! It's weird though, right now I have 5 bars, but if I move my phone a couple of feet I will lose service. Depending on where in my room I am, it changes. This is a regular sized bedroom.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
yes I really don't like ATT's signal strength, yes I'm happy I found reception in my room, but with Verizon the signal strength was always so much stronger.

Oh well maybe one day Verizon will get the iPhone.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I have aluminum siding on my house. That keeps me from getting a good signal in the house. Unless I sit or stand near a window, which will usually give me 3 or 4 bars.

Does your house have aluminum siding?

FW

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I took an advanced electrical engineering class in communications my last semester and I can tell you that in specific sized rooms that there will alays be spots that get terrible reception (destructive interference) and some spots will get great reception (constructive interference). This has nothing to do with the phone, but how the signal waves at a specific wavelength bounce off walls in your house. Wave signals don't exactly pass through walls as good as everyone thinks. they all need line of sight....they just bounce a lot hehe. Think of it like a closed door room where you can still tell if the lights are on or off in that room because the light still escapes a little.....same concept.

If you know these three things: dimensions of room, where the signal goes to and comes from, and how big the wavelength is you can actually mark out spots of good reception and bad reception. It's not the iPhones fault it's where the tower is and where you are compared to line of sight.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I took an advanced electrical engineering class in communications my last semester and I can tell you that in specific sized rooms that there will alays be spots that get terrible reception (destructive interference) and some spots will get great reception (constructive interference). This has nothing to do with the phone, but how the signal waves at a specific wavelength bounce off walls in your house. Wave signals don't exactly pass through walls as good as everyone thinks. they all need line of sight....they just bounce a lot hehe. Think of it like a closed door room where you can still tell if the lights are on or off in that room because the light still escapes a little.....same concept.

If you know these three things: dimensions of room, where the signal goes to and comes from, and how big the wavelength is you can actually mark out spots of good reception and bad reception. It's not the iPhones fault it's where the tower is and where you are compared to line of sight.
hmmm interesting. I believe you as I find that I am having similar experiences. o well I do have better reception when it is docked in my computer via USB.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
hmmm interesting. I believe you as I find that I am having similar experiences. o well I do have better reception when it is docked in my computer via USB.
That might be something like the car battery effect. Where if the alternator is not running the voltage goes to around 11.5-12V and if the alternator is running the voltage jumps to around 14V making everything light up stronger like head lights and interior lights.

A stronger voltage because it's plugged it may give it more power to the signal. I think this is controlled though. My old phone was hacked so that I could use 911 signal strength when I needed it. When you dial 911 the antenna output is GREATLY increased so you can safely make a connection to the 911 centers if need be where normally you may have poor performance. I t sucks battery up , but it does make that emergency call. Who knows what's going on in there without talking to an engineer that knows all that stuff.....so really it's all speculation as to what's going on except for the part I had mentioned in my post above.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston

*ownage (>.<; )

but yeah, it's definitely not AT&T but actually the house/phone.

and i'm not sure how much sense this makes, but i've noticed that at my friends house, basically no matter where your are downstairs, the signal is VERY weak and i'm thinking it is due to the VERY high ceilings. i dunno, i just know that when i go over there i get frustrated because i never get any texts lol

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
All this is not surprising to me EXCEPT the statement that the reception is better with wifi enabled? What's up with that? Are you sure?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
All this is not surprising to me EXCEPT the statement that the reception is better with wifi enabled? What's up with that? Are you sure?

I don't know how valid that is either....I have very poor reception in my apartment but as the OP said, there are a few areas where the reception goes from no service to a few bars. I have noticed since I first got iPhone in june....the reception in my apartment has gotten significantly better and the EDGE performance in NYC has gotten a noticeable boost as well.