what is 5A347 and how do u get that with the 3G

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
I have an iPhone 3g. What is 5A347 and how do I get it for my iPhone?
Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It's the slightly updated and tweaked 2.0 firmware. You can get it by restoring your phone in iTunes and it might even do it if you hit update.

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
when did it come out? how can i tell if my 3g has it already?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It was released I want to say the same day as the phone.

On your phone go to:
Settings->General->About and look down at the version.

Mine says 2.0 (5A347)

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
Me too. How do you update? I tried to do it through iTunes but it said I have the most recent version.

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
I don't want to restore to all of the factory settings. Any idea what is different in 5A347?

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
when you restore, make sure you backup your phone first. if you haven't done a backup in a while, it will ask you before you do the restore if you want to make one. then you can safely restore to factory settings then at the end of the restore it will ask you if you want to install the backup you just made, and voila.. all apps and contacts and texts are still there. the only thing is i had to resync all my songs again but that was done automatically.

supposedly the apps don't crash as much, the yellow-ish tint (which i never noticed to begin with) is gone, and the overall performance should be improved slightly. according to what i've read..

Tammster

Jul 15, 2008
I'm nervous! Everything has been going SOOO well (ok, a few crashes). If I do the backup restore thing & I lose my settings, I'm going to be very pissed at myself. Has anyone tried it and had issues?

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
read my post.. i just said it did nothing to LOSE any information from before i restored my phone. i got scared too since i spent an hour manually inputting contacts (was too lazy to put them on outlook prior to purchasing) but it's safe.

at least it worked for me.. backing up before restoring i mean.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I'm nervous! Everything has been going SOOO well (ok, a few crashes). If I do the backup restore thing & I lose my settings,
Well then, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Done. :D

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm nervous! Everything has been going SOOO well (ok, a few crashes). If I do the backup restore thing & I lose my settings, I'm going to be very pissed at myself. Has anyone tried it and had issues?
It is very safe and easy to do, but for you it might be better to just wait for an update to 2.0 that is reported to be on the way very soon.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
My phone, personally, looks the same screenwise with either firmware.

It might be slightly more responsive from menu to menu, but nothing majorly noticeable.

There was some lag going to the search option in contacts from the home screen, which is very minimal now. Overall the phone works well and I don't have too many crashes which are confined to downloaded apps thus far.

It's only been a week so everyone here is still in discovery and feeling out mode. More info will be gathered in the coming weeks.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Yes it's safe, but.......Back up everything! I thought I had everything backed up on iTunes, but I remember stopping it because it was taking so long....Too bad I just remember it as I was restoring the phone damn...I got everything back as it was in iTunes but all my contacts are gone....Now I gotta go around getting everyone's numbers again..So MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR PHONE! Don't pull a n00b move like I did.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
It is very safe to restore. I must have restored my 1st gen 40 plus times. It really is nothing to be nervous about.

Now the early stages of jailbreaking. That you needed to pray during.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Restore and Sync -done many times on first gen also. I'm running 5A347 on my3G. Really simple - iTunes does the work for you.

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I just got home with my shiny new Black 16 Gig, and right now finished unplugging it from iTunes.

Mine has the 5A347 already on it, nothing more was required for me to do. I'm not sure if the Phone already had it, or if it updated when I plugged in into iTunes here at home.