What is a "bricked" iPhone?

1. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

What is a "bricked" iPhone? What are the symptoms or tells that it is? Is my phone bricked since it's only showing the connect to iTunes? I have a unlocked/ jailbroken v1.1.2 iPhone and decided to update to v1.1.4. When I did, it just shows the connect to iTunes image. Do I have to have the sim card inside when I update or restore or when I use ZiPhone? My phone is brand new and I haven't even used it to make a single call that's why. Thank you for all your help!

2. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member Gold

A bricked iPhone defines it as just that - a brick. The screen is black, you cannot get it to turn on, it cannot be used, you cannot call it, iTunes does not recognize it, etc.

The screen you see signifies that the phone is recovery mode - you have to Restore to get out of it. Leave the SIM in, Restore in iTunes, and then use something like ZiPhone to re-jailbreak and re-unlock it.

- John

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

iPhone questions....

Hi thanks for your response... But do I have to have the sim card inside in order to perform that operation? Or can I just do it without since it's still brand new? How do I open it anyways? I heard from my friend because she has one too that the people at AT&T didn't even put a sim card inside her phone so I was kinda tripping that she said that. Does all iPhones have a pre-installed sim card inside already? Thanks again.

5. themanofthedark

themanofthedark New Member Gold

it does not matter if you have the SIM card in it or not, your effects will be the same.

6. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member Gold

iPhone come with a SIM. It's located at the top between the lock button and the jack - that little slot. Just push a paperclip into the little hole and it'll pop out. But as Sam said, the SIM is not necessary for a restore.

- John

7. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

iPhone not working...

Hey Sam! I tried restoring it with iTunes but after the long download time, I ended up with an error message "iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred [-50]". What am I doing wrong? All I did was click on restore and update on iTunes.

8. themanofthedark

hm. error -50..
    Thats... not a common error.

Have you tried restarting your computer, installing the newest iTunes, and trying once more?

also,

Mac, or PC?

9. Bone

Bone Zealot Gold

also maybe trying a diff comp might help as well.

10. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

iPhone not working...

Hi. I'm barely re-doing it right now. Just rebooted and now waiting for the new updates to iTunes to install. It's a PC. What's the website for ZiPhone again?

11. themanofthedark

12. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

Thanks everybody!

Woohoo! Yay! My phone is out of that damn mode! Finally! Hehehe. Just wanted to thank you all especially Darklight (Sam) for all your help. I guess my USB ports are outdated and obsolete.

13. Gundam01

Gundam01 New Member

Next in the agenda...

So finally I just re-unlocked my brand new phone and now I'm trying to install apps into it. The problem is that it can't seem to find a host. Does my phone have to be activated with a working sim card and all? I tried hooking up via wifi but everytime I do, it can't seem to recognize the password eventhough I changed my wireless modem's password twice just so I can hook up to it. Are there apps that I can install just by using the usb cable (not on my comp of course)? Also, where do I get a copy of Spring Board (or is it summer board now) and NES apps? Much obliged...

14. Gretchen

Gretchen New Member

I need help. ok a lot of people had told me to jailbreak my iPhone4 because i want to use my device as a wifi but i want to know the consequences, it's too good to be truth. Also i have read about the bricked iPhone... omg i'm so new at this and i got it like 3 days ago. It worths doing the jailbreak or is best paying the tethernet? Please SOS thanksss!

15. Babyt

Babyt Zealot Gold

Well if you JUST want to jailbreak your iPhone to use it as a wifi hub (or whatever) then go for it.
    I think the real danger is downloading unsecured packages. And if u use someithing like mywi, that's just being raved about, then you should be problem free.

I jail broke my iPhone 3G.
    And I'm back to using it normally. I'm bout to redo the jailbreak because I loved all the awesome features of jailbreaking.
    -sbsettings
    -winterboard
    -bitesms
    - catergories
    -backgrounder
    Just to name a few :)

Any ways I probably didn't help much. Sorry:/

16. Gretchen

Gretchen New Member

heyy

well thanks! i jailbreak my bf's iPhone 4 and everythng work perfectly. how can u take out all the jailbreak and the cydia from your device, like using again your iPhone normally?

17. Babyt

Babyt Zealot Gold

You have to restore it on iTunes to a backup of the phone.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Jailbreak.

19. fijiman

fijiman Contributor Silver

Your iPhone was jailbroken before you started the Restore process...was it also unlocked...? with iPad baseband...?

20. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist Gold

Or, you can restore it as new.