What Is A "Hard Reset" on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Googling this is just as mixed and confusing as it's use on sites. So, what is a hard reset? From my experience here and on other forum sites, I have learned it to be holding the power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release. But many are now calling that a soft reset. They claim a hard reset is a restore. I have seen a couple of tech sites say as much. But other sites stick with the 2 button action. Has the definition been changed? What's correct? Is there an official tech definitions list? Have I been wrong for 3+ years?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A soft reset is a reboot, pressing the home and power buttons simultaneously is a hard reset, a factory restore resets the phone to factory settings and a DFU restore will get iTunes to recognize a device that is not being recognized and more throughly wipe it. DFU restores are more likely to be used by jailbreakers to remove most traces of the jailbreak. However, Apple can still tell it was jailbroken. They still honor the warranty, though.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

But this site, along with many others say differently.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/search/query?q=Hard+Reset

Anywhere I go where there's definitions, they say a hard reset is a restore, or factory reset. And a soft reset is the 2 buttons action. Are the writers of these tech publications wrong?

#3 Ledsteplin, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, they got it wrong. A hard reset is not a restore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Thanks. It'll be a hard sell though.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Maybe there is dissent out there about what a hard reset is because Apple itself never officially uses that specific terminology. They simply call it a restart (also here, the official user guide for iOS 9.1).

But what Europa described as a hard reset has been the de facto definition of the phrase since its earliest known usage in 1975. :D

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think some young writers somehow got it wrong. Now many others have it wrong. I'm being corrected. I'm correcting back. LOL

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's another example of Apple refusing to use the term "hard reset" for their iOS Devices.

As you might know, some iPad Pros have been ending up in an unresponsive state after being charged, and Apple's official workaround is:

"To get back to using your iPad Pro, force restart it by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo."

Gee, thanks, Apple! I never would've thought to try that!! :D

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

99% of iDevice owners I know have no idea how to do this or what the benefits are.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Most users use their devices totally oblivious to all that it is capable of because they have never bothered to ever glance through the manual let alone read it. (Read it!! You've got to be kidding, why would I want to do that?) Until a minor problem erupts, then it's as if the whole world has come to an end. Numerous people have condemned their phone for having lost data due to this or that issue but when you ask them if they had a recent backup you get that deer in the headlights look along with the words "What's that? People, go figure! The more I have to do with people the more I love my dog.