What is a "normal" silent slider?

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
After reading about how other peoples' silent switch metal cap fell off, I noticed that most said prior to that, their silent switches were really hard to slide and/or they were stiff. Now, I'm wondering, just how stiff was it? Like when I shift my silent switch, I hear a click both ways (from ringer to silent, and silent to ringer) and there's a slight resistance when I shift. My friends' switches all kinda "glide" when they shift it. Is mine (soon to be) defective or is it within normal range?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Mine has some slight resistance (like I think it should) and makes a clicking noise in both directions. Feels solid as a rock.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Mine has some slight resistance (like I think it should) and makes a clicking noise in both directions. Feels solid as a rock.
Good to hear. I just got paranoid after reading about the broken silent sliders. Mine's definitely not super-hard to switch, but it takes a noticeable amount of extra pressure to switch it than w/ some of my friends' phones.

My silent switch basically goes "on-off," and it's a really "sharp" movement, while my friends' phones are more "onnn-off," in a smoother transition.

Plus, there's a small "jiggle" when it's on ringer mode. Like if I just thumb it, it moves a little. None of friends' phones are like that either.

samy

Bronze
Sep 23, 2008
California
Mine broke when I was getting the damn invisible shield on:(!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
My brother's broke on his 3G, and he got the phone replaced by Apple. Mine seems as solid as a rock. I think how you slide it has a lot to do with wear and tear on the switch. My brother tended to use his thumbnail, I think, which put additional stress on the switch.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
My brother's broke on his 3G, and he got the phone replaced by Apple. Mine seems as solid as a rock. I think how you slide it has a lot to do with wear and tear on the switch. My brother tended to use his thumbnail, I think, which put additional stress on the switch.
Interesting, that's how I tend to flip it too, w/ my nail. Would you suggest just using the "flesh" of my thumb to do so then?