what is a SIM card?

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
Pls excuse my ignorance on this. I've seen a lot of posts mentioning SIM cards and it dawned on me that I don't really know what that is. This is the 1st phone I've had that had one (to my knowledge). What does a SIM card do?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
A sim card is a card that is inserted into the phone to activate it. It looks like a sd card for a computer.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
On the iPhone it is located between the headphone jack and the power button. There is a small hole that you push in the simbremoval tool and a tray will pop out and expose the sim card. Only certain networks have them like t-mobile, AT&T, and I'm not sure about any others.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
See this.

SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module. It holds your phone number (and tells whatever phone you're using what it is) and is the most critical part of your phone to get it to connect to your cellular network so you can make and receive calls. As Kenneth said, only certain networks use them - Sprint and Verizon do not (these are CDMA networks), for the most part, though I think they are pretty much required on GSM networks...

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
In addition to the above... a SIM card is a microcomputer.

It has an ARM or other cpu with some RAM for running programs and sometimes up to 64MB of Flash memory for program and data storage.

There is a standard for another CPU to talk to the SIM, so phones don't have to know the SIM's internal workings.

Usually you can store contacts info on a SIM, so it moves with you from phone to phone. Alas, the iPhone will only allow importing contacts from a SIM.

Some SIMs can even run Java programs, so you can also carry your favorite small applications or games with you.

3G SIMs are different from 2G and previous SIMs, in that they have special commands and hardware for more secure authentication and encyrption calculations.