What is an unlocked iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 4, 2007
sorry for being naive, but i was wondering what this meant. i used ibrickr to install third party apps on my phone so is that the same as a unlocked phone? if not what's the difference? i was wondering this because i read on some previous threads that if you have an unlocked phone and update to 1.1.1, it messes your phone up bad. something about shutting down your sim card and making your phone worthless. pretty scary stuff. if i decide to update and give up my third party apps should i be worried that my phone could be turned into an expensive paperweight? any info will be appreciated. thanks guys.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
what is an unlocked iPhone?
An unlocked iPhone is an iPhone that has been hacked in order for it to be used with other SIM/GSM cards in the phone such as T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular, etc. and so that it can be used overseas with other SIM cards too. All iPhone user's in the USA bought iPhones that were locked to AT&T SIM cards only. The one it comes with in the iPhone, it forces you to register it with a plan on iTunes.

People have unlocked their iPhones to use them overseas and to use other SIM/GSM providers for a cheaper monthly bill for their cellphone since AT&T's plans are sorta expensive.

You shouldn't be afraid of updating unless you know you've messed with an iPhone unlocking tool. Third Party Apps shouldn't be a problem, people have held out on it because the new update will disable that ability. So unless you want to give up Third Party Apps for the new features in the 1.1.1 update, you'll have to update your iTunes to the most recent available, do a "full restore" of your iPhone and then update your iPhone. It's your choice from here...goodluck!

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
sorry for being naive, but i was wondering what this meant. i used ibrickr to install third party apps on my phone so is that the same as a unlocked phone? if not what's the difference? i was wondering this because i read on some previous threads that if you have an unlocked phone and update to 1.1.1, it messes your phone up bad. something about shutting down your sim card and making your phone worthless. pretty scary stuff. if i decide to update and give up my third party apps should i be worried that my phone could be turned into an expensive paperweight? any info will be appreciated. thanks guys.
The initial state of the iPhone is "locked" when you first bought it meaning that the iPhone can only be used with att. When you modded your phone using ibrickr and added those third party applications it is not considered locked, however it is the first step in doing so because you can now install an application that can do it (i think it's called iunlock). So unless you download the actual application that will unlock your phone and run it, your phone is still locked even though you have all those third party applications. I hope that I explained it well enough.

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
i suppose what you're trying to get at is; which program is the unlocker type?

well, if all you ran is ibrickr and apptapp, then you're okay, those don't unlock, they just mod in order to install programs.

[correct me if im wrong somebody, i'm just going by what i read]

as far as i know, ibrickr, jailbreak, and apptapp don't unlock

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

well, if all you ran is ibrickr and apptapp, then you're okay, those don't unlock, they just mod in order to install programs.

don't worry you are correct. Unless I am hehehehehe:laugh2:

buddra

Sep 28, 2007
Is Fake Activation Unlocking?

Thanks for all of the great answers to this topic. I am a little confused still about 1 thing. If I was previously using AT&T when I bought the iPhone and just did the fake activation on it to us my old SIM and did nothing else (like installing 3rd party apps) am I actually unlocking the phone? If I restore my phone on iTunes (1.0.2) won't it just erase the fake activation? Thanks!

Sep 28, 2007
Thanks for all of the great answers to this topic. I am a little confused still about 1 thing. If I was previously using AT&T when I bought the iPhone and just did the fake activation on it to us my old SIM and did nothing else (like installing 3rd party apps) am I actually unlocking the phone? If I restore my phone on iTunes (1.0.2) won't it just erase the fake activation? Thanks!
Not really, since your are still on AT&T. An unlock allows you to use it on another carrier. I think you're confused because of the different types of unlocks. The original unlock, is when you allow a phone, previously tied to a carrier to work on another carrier.

The othe unlocks, like the one you have done is more of an "app unlock" like we have in the windows world.

buddra

Sep 28, 2007
Not really, since your are still on AT&T. An unlock allows you to use it on another carrier. I think you're confused because of the different types of unlocks. The original unlock, is when you allow a phone, previously tied to a carrier to work on another carrier.

The othe unlocks, like the one you have done is more of an "app unlock" like we have in the windows world.
Thanks for the quick reply! So it sounds like if I did do a restore and then upgrade to 1.1.1 (which I have no intention right now to do) I would be safe because I didn't unlock it? But at that point I would have to put the new ATT SIM card in and do the real activation.

Sep 28, 2007
I live in Canada and I only recently got the iPhone so i don't know how the fake activation worked. But i don't think it should be a problem. If you do a restore, you should reset it to how it was after the fake activation i believe and then you can do the update if you want.

I also don't think you have to reactivate after doing an update or a restore. But I cant confirm.

buddra

Sep 28, 2007
What do you mean by fake activation? How will you fake your activation and why?
How: INdependence 1.2.1a does a fake activation so that you don't have to go through iTunes to activate your iPhone to work with ATT. http://code.google.com/p/independence/
Why: Many ATT businesss customers receive discounts (like 24% off every bill) on their voice and data plans, but when you activate the iPhone through iTunes you lose all of your businesss discounts.

Does this answer your question?

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
How: INdependence 1.2.1a does a fake activation so that you don't have to go through iTunes to activate your iPhone to work with ATT. http://code.google.com/p/independence/
Why: Many ATT businesss customers receive discounts (like 24% off every bill) on their voice and data plans, but when you activate the iPhone through iTunes you lose all of your businesss discounts.

Does this answer your question?
Yup. Thanks.