What is Apple TV?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
What is Apple tv? I mean is it something that you download to your iPhone and watch certian channels? And is there a way to answer theiPhone without touching it? Some phones have auto answer didn't know if this one does or not. Thank you

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
And I can say that the Slingbox is a great device. I've been watching cable in my car through Slingbox for almost a year now and love it.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I love my AppleTV - On its own it's a bit weak, but I've upgraded mine so it now runs asterisk - does all my house phones - I dial friends using my remote - and I can see incoming calls picture-in-picture while watching scrapheap challenge.

It's my home automation gateway - I access it over the net and control various stuff around the network. It fetches data from work and puts them on the tv so I can see at a glance what's going on there while I'm watching Red Dwarf.

And it gets really hot so I use it for thawing out frozen rats.

When you download a film - you want to watch it on the best TV in the house with the best sound system. Shame it's not HD , but without it I'd have to lug about a laptop and set that up whenever I wanted to watch the Matrix.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think the reason AppleTV is not HD could be attributed to the fact that iTunes does not deliver HD content. Therefore in a typical Steve Jobs fashion, to control the way the content is viewed in order to create the best experience possible was to limit its resolution output for less upscaling of their premium content.

Think of it this way, you just paid 9.99 for a movie on iTunes to watch on your AppleTV only to discover it doesn't look as good as the DVD version when you watch it on your HD setup. Yeah, I'd be bummed to, but back in 480p land its actually comparable.

prijikn

Aug 8, 2008
The Apple TV is a device that allows consumers to stream iTunes data from computers to the their HD TVs. The device is what is known as a set-top box, because it connects to the TV.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
How difficult is it to stream your own movies or videos that I have saved on my hard drive to Apple TV? Do they need to be in your iTunes library or can they be in a virtual hard drive like time capsule?

Thanks for the help guys!

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
To answer mik, not too hard. I believe they need to be in your iTunes library.

But I got to say, Apple TV is a failure in my eyes. Even TV take 2 sucks.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So if they are on an external hard drive, how can they also be in my iTunes library on my macbook wirelessly? Basically what I would like is to stream all of my movies on my hard drive, which are not on my my macbook's hard drive, to Apple TV. Does anyone know if this possible?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Seems like a total waste of money if you ask me. If you want something like that, I would say go for the Sling Player. www.slingmedia.com.

Apple TV is a total rip off. $299 for essentially a 40gb hard drive in a box that connects to iTunes. Hmm.
Someone help me here, Apple TV plays movies etc from your computer, while slingbox allows you to watch tv that is streaming from a cable box. These are two different things, unless you record EVERYTHING you watch onto your computer then stream it to the Apple TV.
I wouldn't go and say that "If you want something like THAT, get the slingbox. I have a sling box and it doesn't play my movies on my computer.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Umm, you may want to double check that. Yes Sling does stream HD channels.

Apple TV and Sling are two totally different devices. Apple TV is like Blockbuster Video for your TV. You rent and view movies. Sling Box is a device which streams your cable/satellite TV to a device. So unless you have DVR'd programs on your cable/satellite box, it's totally different to Apple TV.

They both have two totally different uses.

yeah, they do two totally different things. not to mention AppleTV plays HD, which the SlingBox can not even approach.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Does seem to be the case.

Netflix have launched an online movie player also. You don't have a large a library as say Apple TV, but it's all part of your monthly DVD rental package. So after the initial $99 cost for the Roku box, the service is actually free. But right now it only pumps out at 480P. But they are plans to extend it to full HD soon.

To answer mik, not too hard. I believe they need to be in your iTunes library.

But I got to say, Apple TV is a failure in my eyes. Even TV take 2 sucks.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Apple TV and Sling are two totally different devices. Apple TV is like Blockbuster Video for your TV. You rent and view movies. Sling Box is a device which streams your cable/satellite TV to a device. So unless you have DVR'd programs on your cable/satellite box, it's totally different to Apple TV.

They both have two totally different uses.
I know this, which is why I said it. You were the one that said the sling box can take over your Apple tv