What is minimum amt of free memory needed to keep crash free?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
On a 8gb phone, does anyone know the minimum amount of free memory we need to keep to make sure safari doesn't crash or other problems? I know people say that cover flow eats a lot of memory as does safari and that using safari when listening to ipod causes the ipod to shutdown. I never had this problem when leaving at least 600MB free but have it now that I am at 250MB free. Would like to hear what you guys have experienced along these lines or if anyone knows what the minimum we need to leave free is. Thanks

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think it matters. I only have 2 gig of stuff and never had any more. Safari, maps, and the ipod will still crash, but not nearly as often as when I first got the phone.

-Jeff

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
On a 8gb phone, does anyone know the minimum amount of free memory we need to keep to make sure safari doesn't crash or other problems? I know people say that cover flow eats a lot of memory as does safari and that using safari when listening to ipod causes the ipod to shutdown. I never had this problem when leaving at least 600MB free but have it now that I am at 250MB free. Would like to hear what you guys have experienced along these lines or if anyone knows what the minimum we need to leave free is. Thanks
Doesn't matter. Fill'er up all the way and enjoy your phone.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
I agree with everyone here.

I have 4GB free on my 8GB phone and still every once in a while. Each standard app has it's own memory "limit" and shouldn't depend on available memory except for maybe... incoming text messages and incoming email attachments... leave room for these.

As suggested, just power down your phone buy holding the power button and slide the red slider. I do this once a week like I would with any other PC.

I only reset every so often. But how the iPhone crashes is MUCH BETTER old Treo. When the Treo crashes it generally causes a phone reset.