What is not working correctly, WiFi or me?

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
So I thought I knew how to use the wifi but apparently I don't. (or maybe something is wrong with my iPhone).

I was in the waiting room at the Doc's office yesterday and saw a sign that said free wifi. So I thought cool! I'll take advantage of that. Turned on the wifi and the network with the Doc's name popped up right away with a strenght of 18. I hit connect and saw the icon come on on the screen. I opened safari and the icon went away and the 3g came right back and it was the typical slow loading that I'm used to. I went back to settings and turned off 3g and reconnected to the wifi and went back to safari. As soon as safari opened the wifi was lost and it went to Edge.
I tried a bunch of times with a few dif settings but could not figure it out.

Help! What am I doing wrong now! :)

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
There was probably some assistant watching you and unplugging the wifi everytime you tried to connect... lol.

Sounds like you were in an area where you phone couldn't figure out what it needed to use. If my iPhone ever gets that quircky I just reboot. Try the wifi in another location and see if it still does that.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
So I thought I knew how to use the wifi but apparently I don't. (or maybe something is wrong with my iPhone).

I was in the waiting room at the Doc's office yesterday and saw a sign that said free wifi. So I thought cool! I'll take advantage of that. Turned on the wifi and the network with the Doc's name popped up right away with a strenght of 18. I hit connect and saw the icon come on on the screen. I opened safari and the icon went away and the 3g came right back and it was the typical slow loading that I'm used to. I went back to settings and turned off 3g and reconnected to the wifi and went back to safari. As soon as safari opened the wifi was lost and it went to Edge.
I tried a bunch of times with a few dif settings but could not figure it out.

Help! What am I doing wrong now! :)
Are the "Strength" going from 0-100? If the wireless router is in the Doc's office, - then the signal should be fine!

Take a look here

Last edited by a moderator:

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Thanks for the link. I am checking it out now. Looks like some good info but a lot of it involves rebooting the router. I guess I could have gone to the window and said "ah miss, could you please reboot your router for me" lol

One question... when trying to use the wifi should I turn off the 3g or does it not matter?

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
It didn't matter for me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I might know the problem. First, some Dr. Office's work with the same setup as the Free WiFi in a hospital.
You launch your WiFi, connect to the signal, and then either nothing happens or it flips back to Cell service. If this happens, go back into the WiFi and forget the network you just connected to, and then stop and start the WiFi.
Select the network again and as soon as it's connected, launch the browser and attempt to connect to a bookmark. Generally the bookmark will automatically redirect to a sign-in website. The service is Free, but you need an account. You might get an invalid certificate message too. Accept it.
If that is not working, go back into WiFi settings and click the little blue > symbol to the right of the connection name and see what IP address you received. you might need to renew it. If it starts with a 169.X.X.X, then either the router is fuct, and needs to be rebooted and checked for WAN connection, Or, whoever setup the router has the IP address leases setup to renew after a week or more, which means that every person that did connect, has a Assigned IP address from the DNS, service and all available IP's are currently reserved for those that already connected. It's a common problem with places that will have a high volume of people connecting. The IP address lease should renew every 1-2 hours, and only if a previously connected device is detected. Otherwise, it should release the reserved addresses to be assigned to new devices as the connect.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I might know the problem. First, some Dr. Office's work with the same setup as the Free WiFi in a hospital.
You launch your WiFi, connect to the signal, and then either nothing happens or it flips back to Cell service. If this happens, go back into the WiFi and forget the network you just connected to, and then stop and start the WiFi.
Select the network again and as soon as it's connected, launch the browser and attempt to connect to a bookmark. Generally the bookmark will automatically redirect to a sign-in website. The service is Free, but you need an account. You might get an invalid certificate message too. Accept it.
If that is not working, go back into WiFi settings and click the little blue > symbol to the right of the connection name and see what IP address you received. you might need to renew it. If it starts with a 169.X.X.X, then either the router is fuct, and needs to be rebooted and checked for WAN connection, Or, whoever setup the router has the IP address leases setup to renew after a week or more, which means that every person that did connect, has a Assigned IP address from the DNS, service and all available IP's are currently reserved for those that already connected. It's a common problem with places that will have a high volume of people connecting. The IP address lease should renew every 1-2 hours, and only if a previously connected device is detected. Otherwise, it should release the reserved addresses to be assigned to new devices as the connect.
Now I have a headache. LOL Just read one of the 2 year old magazines they have on the tables.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
LMAO. I'm just saying, unless the phone itself cannot connect to an open Wifi signal, there is only 2 other reasons why you wouldn't be able to browse.
It's going to either be router configuration, or router to WAN access

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
LMAO. I'm just saying, unless the phone itself cannot connect to an open Wifi signal, there is only 2 other reasons why you wouldn't be able to browse.
It's going to either be router configuration, or router to WAN access
I think you're right Hawk! We can see these wireless network available on the iPhone, but when you try to connect/and something is "wrong" with the routers set-up, or maybe there is a key needed for the connection, you will be forced back to EDGE/3G!?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think you're right Hawk! We can see these wireless network available on the iPhone, but when you try to connect/and something is "wrong" with the routers set-up, or maybe there is a key needed for the connection, you will be forced back to EDGE/3G!?
If you cannot browse on the connection, then yes, I believe it should bump you back to Edge/3G.
The Starbucks in the mall by work has been screwed up as of late. You can see the network and supposedly connect to it, but authentication is NOT working, so you cannot even get to the initial page to sign in and get the text to the access page. This has been a problem for like 2 weeks now.

victorash

Sep 30, 2008
I face similar issue at home and just a few days ago I realized the source of problem. I have a router and a signal extender. Both router and extender have their own IP addresses. So, when I have my iPhone next to router it gets connected, when I am far from router and only extender's signal is available - it's OK, but when I am in the middle and iPhone can get both signals it jumps back to Edge. It is possible that in doctor's office they have multipple signals. What you should see in this case - the iPhone does not recognize the IP address of the router.
Let me know if this is the case.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This is my experience most times at doctors / medical offices as well. Agree with all your points ...

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Holy wealth of information! LOL
Thanks for your input. That is exactly what is happening. next time I am in a place like that I will try your advise. Of course I will have to look up this thread to remember it! lol
Thanks again.