What is one feature you'd like to see added to iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by acosmichippo, Jan 25, 2014.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'd like to see user accounts added to iPads, not that i think it's going to happen any time soon.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's hard to choose just one. I guess my first one would be in-app and lockscreen texting. I'd also like file system access with the ability to make minor theme changes such as decreasing the icon size, removing icon labels, changing the album art design and replacing/modifying the dock. More customization options such as the ability to disable animations altogether and automatically fall back to Voice Controls when the cellular signal is lost would be nice. Centralized gestures and shortcut management would be icing on the cake.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If I had to pick one it would be the enhanced texting features ala BiteSMS.

I'm not sure what you mean by those two things, could you give me some examples please? Do you mean the web shortcuts you can add to the home screen?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sorry, I should have clarified that. I was referring to the activator multitouch gestures, hardware button programming (such as triple tap home and double press lock) and motions (shake device) that can be used for system actions, invoking the camera and phone favorites, opening apps, etc. on jailbroken phones.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I would really like to see lock screen texting. I keep my phone locked so I don't accidentally pocket dial someone or FaceTime one of my contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

but then wouldn't you just pocket text people?

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Ah, gotcha. I forgot all about the old double-press for favorites that was replaced by the app switching feature.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, it requires a couple purposeful actions.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

so does pocket dialing.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. Setting up a gesture to quickly get to favorites is usually the first thing I set up after I install activator. Apple should have just switched it to a triple tap of the home button when they introduced the task switcher, but they chose to omit it altogether for some reason. I currently use a status bar swipe to invoke phone favorites.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's not going to happen, though. Accidentally calling someone from the home screen would be a lot easier than accidentally texting someone from the lock screen via BiteSMS.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Your first choice is mine as well. Only I'd like to see it applied to any messaging app, be it the stock iMessage, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. I doubt Apple would do that. But it would be nice.

13. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I'd like to see one taken away.
    STOP TELLING ME CELLULAR DATA IS TURNED OFF FOR NOTES(or any other app)!
    Of course it's off. Who do they think turned it off.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have that issue as well. So I'm on wifi and get pop ups telling me the app I'm on is turned off for cellular. Well, yes it is. I'm on wifi. I've tried everything. I suspect it may be my wifi modem. I plan to switch it out for another one, and see if that stops those pop ups. In the mean time, I just went ahead and turned cellular on for those apps. Frustrating ain't it?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can stop those popups if you jailbreak.

16. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the advice. Worked like a charm.

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For me, it's multiple user accounts. My daughter pretty much owns my iPad now. She used to stick to her games and Netflix, but has started to find interest in my apps. It's only a matter of time before you starts tweeting gibberish. I think storage becomes the big issue here, plus how do you handle app purchases. Multiple accounts would mean purchased apps would be tied to each user or would they?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Guided access can currently be set up to limit access.

It shouldn't use much more space than it currently does with a single user account. The shared apps will only be installed once. The images/videos won't be duplicates; they will be links to the original like they are with folders in the Photos app. Account settings uses a fairly negligible amount of space.

Famiy members sharing an account hasn't ever been a problem. I don't see why the addition of user accounts on iOS would suddenly create a problem. Just log into the same iTunes account through each user profile.

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm too lazy to setup guided access. I'm lucky if I can keep it charged.

I guess it gets tricky when you talk profiles vs user accounts. For example, what gets backed up and to where? If there is a master iCloud account, what happens to a daughter or son who has an email account setup within their 'space'?

If they make it strict user accounts, that could work, but not with 16GB devices.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's just settings. It's a very small file. There would only be one backup and it would include all of these (small) user profiles. Ever restored from backup? It applies in just a minute or two. Syncing all the media and apps back on is what takes so long.

Why not? The user profiles would be very small. The same amount of media would be stored on it if it was all in one profile being used by multiple people. Of course, if an iPad that is currently only being used by two people suddenly starts to be used by six with the introduction of profiles, then yeah, more space will be used.

#20 Europa, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014