What is OpenSSH from Cydia, is it a must install?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by bitemyapple, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

I see everyone talking about OpenSSH and some even recommending that you install after you JB. What is the purpose of it, what would I use it for? Is is something I should install right away? I tried searching about it but I just don't understand all the terminology. Is it the same thing as iFunBox, iExplorer, etc. Can someone please give me an 101 tutorial on this please, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

OpenSSH allows you to transfer files to and from your device using your PC or Mac. You use a SSH client on your computer such as PuTTY on Windows or Cyberduck on OSX, for example. I've used it occasionally to back up Winterboard theme packages and other files, as well as to import custom icon .png's to personalize my device.

It's not really a must have, in my opinion. Another popular jailbreak app that can accomplish the same things is iFile, which is highly recommended. Like using an SSH client, you get full access to the iOS file system right on your device. An actual tutorial on how to use either SSH or iFile is difficult without having a specific task in mind. On top of that, if you don't know what you're doing and aren't careful, it is possible to mess things up. I learned with a lot of help from experienced forum members and a lot of trial and error. There are some how-to threads in the jailbreak section for some specific things like changing the system font. Search through the jailbreak forums for iFile and SSH and you should find some threads that will give you a better idea of what is going on.

To answer your question about iExplorer, it is similar, but with SSH/iFile you have access to the ENTIRE file system. I'm not familiar with iFunBox.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I always have OpenSSH installed. I love using WinSCP on my Windows machine to browse and manipulate files on my iPhone. Also, I use iLex R.A.T. to basically restore my iPhone without losing my jailbreak

That said, OpenSSH is insecure, so you must change the default password if you want to be secure.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Another reason to have OpenSSH installed, or so I've read, is that if your device somehow gets stuck in recovery mode or a boot loop, you can access and salvage some of your files and data before restoring. Just something I read once, I hope I never have to test it.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's not specific to SSH, though. You can also use iPhoneBrowser or DiskAid to fix certain problems that would otherwise force a restore. For example, if you can't boot due to a user error when replacing the system font, you can fix it with any of those methods.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

If you plan to use programs like iFunBox to access the iPhones root file system you will need to install afc2add free in Cydia.... this will give/allow the same level of access and manipulation as SSH..ing into the phone.

It seems evasi0n does not automatically install afc2add like some of the older jailbreaks did.....

7. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

I was told that afc2add was dangerous to install, that it opens up my phone to vulnerabilities and that I should use openssh. But if I don't install afc2add then I can't use explorer programs. Then others are saying not to use openssh that I could damage my phone if I don't know what I'm doing. I did use MobileTerminal to change my password from alpine. Is that password used to gain root access to my phone? And I did have iFIle on my iPhone but I never installed openssh.

Anyways, I need answer on which to use.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

afc2add opens up access to the file system, but it requires USB. After connecting via USB, some programs allow setting up WiFi access. This is a potential vulnerability, but only if someone had physical access to your phone or uses the computer you enabled WiFi access on. Apps could be installed and critical files could be deleted if someone wanted to do those things and had access to your phone.

SSH has a vulnerability with the root password. Failing to change this password could result in the phone being hacked via the cellular network, not just WiFi. This is a much bigger security risk. Changing the root password is highly recommend and closes this vulnerability.

The most secure method is SSH with a strong password. The least secure method is SSH with the default password. afc2add is in the middle.

9. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

So you recommend installing a PC app like WinSCP and then installing OpenSSH on Cydia? Then change the root password from Alpine to my own. Then I'll be able to do the same stuff as if I was using an explorer programs w/ afc2add? Will WinSCP allow me to transfer files over WiFi, does OpenSSH include that?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

11. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Damn you Fijiman. I almost broke my screen trying to smack your fake bug. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We've all been there.