What is RIGHT with the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 11, 2007
Lately there have been a ton of posts regarding everything that is wrong with the phone. Those posts have been responded to with disgust about the complaining going on here. I've done a little complaining myself. I was just thinking about everything though...

This is a pretty darn good device. I thought about all the phone has and all that it is missing. It has been pointed out that we knew what we were getting when we got the phone. Very true. So I had a little list I made up in my head about what I would LIKE to see and what I think the phone is truly missing. The results were interesting:

3g: It is what it is folks. In retrospect I think Apple made the right choice going with Edge for the time being. Besides, complaining can't change what we currently have. Edge isn't that bad either.

Foldering: Again, it would be nice to have but I certainly don't lose sleep over not having it.

Flash: Clearly Apple made a decision to leave it out. Occasionally I miss it but the Safari browser is FANTASTIC. Nothing, in my opinion, compares.

Cut and Paste: Not the end of the world for me either. I've never had a phone that could do that and, guess what...I'm still alive!

Network: Whoo boy. I'm not a fan of AT&T at all but, for the time being, we can complain all we want. It will remain AT&T. So far it hasn't been a big deal at all for me.

Games: Man, I would LOVE some games. My life is still going just fine with out them however. Also, I truly believe that games will show up sooner than later.

MMS: This is the only thing I feel we really are missing that should be there. Hopefully, it will come with another update.

I'm sure I left a number of things out but my point is this is a great phone. I use it everyday and it has been reliable, entertaining and fun. I listen to music, watch movies, surf the web, make calls, take pictures, check the weather, text friends and much more.

I've really taken a step back and took a look at what this phone has given me. Does it have some warts? Sure. But even after 3 months or so I still, everyday, pull it out of my pocket just to marvel at it.

So I try to look at it this way: I will love my phone for exactly what it is and what I bought it for and IF a great new application is introduced in a future update...then it makes it all that much better.:)

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Great post roto. I agree i take my phone out every day and every time i type with it i love the feel of it. I don't miss most things that it doesn't have except mms like you said, because i didn't have things things like cut and paste it before on my blackjack. I do love this phone.

UOTE=rotobadger;112679]Lately there have been a ton of posts regarding everything that is wrong with the phone. Those posts have been responded to with disgust about the complaining going on here. I've done a little complaining myself. I was just thinking about everything though...

This is a pretty darn good device. I thought about all the phone has and all that it is missing. It has been pointed out that we knew what we were getting when we got the phone. Very true. So I had a little list I made up in my head about what I would LIKE to see and what I think the phone is truly missing. The results were interesting:

3g: It is what it is folks. In retrospect I think Apple made the right choice going with Edge for the time being. Besides, complaining can't change what we currently have. Edge isn't that bad either.

Foldering: Again, it would be nice to have but I certainly don't lose sleep over not having it.

Flash: Clearly Apple made a decision to leave it out. Occasionally I miss it but the Safari browser is FANTASTIC. Nothing, in my opinion, compares.

Cut and Paste: Not the end of the world for me either. I've never had a phone that could do that and, guess what...I'm still alive!

Network: Whoo boy. I'm not a fan of AT&T at all but, for the time being, we can complain all we want. It will remain AT&T. So far it hasn't been a big deal at all for me.

Games: Man, I would LOVE some games. My life is still going just fine with out them however. Also, I truly believe that games will show up sooner than later.

MMS: This is the only thing I feel we really are missing that should be there. Hopefully, it will come with another update.

I'm sure I left a number of things out but my point is this is a great phone. I use it everyday and it has been reliable, entertaining and fun. I listen to music, watch movies, surf the web, make calls, take pictures, check the weather, text friends and much more.

I've really taken a step back and took a look at what this phone has given me. Does it have some warts? Sure. But even after 3 months or so I still, everyday, pull it out of my pocket just to marvel at it.

So I try to look at it this way: I will love my phone for exactly what it is and what I bought it for and IF a great new application is introduced in a future update...then it makes it all that much better.:)[/QUOTE]

177ike

Jul 21, 2007
It would be nice to have some sort of external LED indicating unread emails/voicemails so as to not have to go all the way in to check for it. Although, I don't know how much this would negate battery life. Just a thought. Otherwise, I agree with everything said above. I love this phone and there is nothing else out there that compares to the positive functionality of this phone. I can't help but walk around with the phone strapped onto my belt feeling and knowing I am connected to the information network like never before.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It would be nice to have some sort of external LED indicating unread emails/voicemails so as to not have to go all the way in to check for it. Although, I don't know how much this would negate battery life. Just a thought. Otherwise, I agree with everything said above. I love this phone and there is nothing else out there that compares to the positive functionality of this phone. I can't help but walk around with the phone strapped onto my belt feeling and knowing I am connected to the information network like never before.
I have a polished computer in my hand wherever I go. Web access, entertainment, I can't even go to the restroom without it. I have never had such fun with a handheld device before. I can't wait for updates and development, but I don't expect small miracles every other week.

177ike

Jul 21, 2007
Exactly right. Look at the response from the mobile market alltogether. Apple has lit a fire with its integrated technology that is crossing over into market segments with fascinating penetration like no other mobile device has ever done. This is only the beginning. The device has broad appeal for young and old alike.

It is human nature to always want what you don't have. The grass is always greener kinda effect. I know I am guilty of thinking that way on a regular basis... Its part of what drives our consumer economy after all. However, when I put how i use this device and what it now allows me to do into perspective, by reading WSJ articles, checking emails like never before, and keeping my kids occupied in restaurants by showing Little People ripped DVDs, it's well worth it. Oh, in case any of us forgot, it's a phone too. The add-ons are fun, but that is not the main appeal for me in the short or long term for this device.

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
This is the best phone I have ever owned. I bought a Razr two years ago, and as Motorola improved the operating system, there was no way to update my phone.

There are a few features I would like the iPhone to have, like a program that would give me the winning Powerball numbers for any given drawing. Just little things like that.

I am totally happy with the phone as it is, locked up tight by Apple and AT&T.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
It has been pointed out that we knew what we were getting when we got the phone. Very true. :)
Right! When you got it! But prior to your purchase, you and others had no idea that the iPhone didn't do some of the most basic things that some cheap phones do now.

With all the hype regarding the iPhone, starting with SJ keynote all the way up to the debut, the things that people are grumbling about weren't done, seen, or advertised. You had to spend $600 to find out.

Lets take for example copy/paste; while some of you have said you never had a phone that did that anyway, I on the other hand have had this feature in all my cell phones; so much so that I would not have thought it possible for a phone NOT to have it.

I will say this though, for all those #$%^^g about what the iPhone lacks, all that comes to mind is that you werent forced to buy one. And even after you did, you could have returned it because it didn't do what you wanted or didn't meet your needs.

I don't understand why so many have decided to keep it, THEN commit to complaining about it!

I don't have one yet, but I play with a co-workers iPhone every chance I get. He has a lot of missed calls cause of me, but I can live with that. :laugh2: