What is SDK?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

setritt

Sep 6, 2007
it is called a software developers kit - basically it provides developers with the code to the iPhone so they can come up with third party applications.

The_Tick

Nov 6, 2007
It does not say that. I am talking about the developers who will market the legit ones after going the the SDK. Then you pay if they charge.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that some apps aren't going to be free.

What's wrong with paying people for the work they did?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I don't think anything is wrong with that. I do think though that a lot of people have this 'right of entitlement' attitude and they don't feel that they should have to pay for anything.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I equate it to software for Macs and PCs -- most of the software has trial versions, and you pay for the full version.
I agree, and on the same note there is much more free software for Macs than there is for PC's so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of free software for the iPhone.

Yes, there will be pay for software as well.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sure, but that doesn't mean that some apps aren't going to be free.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

While it is likely that the apps available via the SDK will cost - there's also a chance that they will not. There's also the possibility that like software, some apps will be free and others will not.

If there is a certain app that I find useful and productive that costs, will I buy it? Heck yeah.

- John

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Please don't answer it means Software Development Kit because I know that.

My question is how is this gonna work? What will be the benefits for iPhone users?

From what I (think I) understand, it will allow 3rd party apps to be added to the phone. Does that mean that we won't have to jailbreak our phones anymore?

The way we all know the greedy Apple, they will certainly try to make money out of it by selling apps we can get for free right now (or at least for a small donation).

Any comment on the topic is welcome :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
None of us know exactly how it will work as yet, because Apple hasn't given much away on the subject yet. But it is safe to say that apps will be be delivered via an apple-approved method - iTunes most likely - and will be charged for.

The immediate benefit it brings for lots of users of 'stock' phones is that they should very soon see a whole lot of new native apps available to them with no need to hack the phone.

Another benefit should be that the ability to make money from selling iPhone apps (even with Apple taking its cut) should mean that a lot of bigger, more established mobile software publishers will bring out apps for us to consider. Hopefully a lot of current favorites will make their way across as well.

As for whether you still need to or want to jailbreak your phone, I think there will still be a fair number of people who will want to, in order to have a wider choice of apps, and in the hope that a lot of the unofficial apps that would continue to come via Installer would be free ...

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
None of us know exactly how it will work as yet, because Apple hasn't given much away on the subject yet. But it is safe to say that apps will be be delivered via an apple-approved method - iTunes most likely - and will be charged for.

The immediate benefit it brings for lots of users of 'stock' phones is that they should very soon see a whole lot of new native apps available to them with no need to hack the phone.

Another benefit should be that the ability to make money from selling iPhone apps (even with Apple taking its cut) should mean that a lot of bigger, more established mobile software publishers will bring out apps for us to consider. Hopefully a lot of current favorites will make their way across as well.

As for whether you still need to or want to jailbreak your phone, I think there will still be a fair number of people who will want to, in order to have a wider choice of apps, and in the hope that a lot of the unofficial apps that would continue to come via Installer would be free ...
Thanks for your reply.

Is SDK some type of directions that Apple will give to developers on how to develop their apps?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thanks for your reply.

Is SDK some type of directions that Apple will give to developers on how to develop their apps?
Pretty much, yeah. A sort of framework for how to write apps that should run well on the iPhone, and probably some tools to help devs test their apps and so on.

If you're real curious, Google the Android SDK - the one for Google's upcoming new mobile platform, you can download docs, an Android emulator etc. ...

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
If you're real curious, Google the Android SDK - the one for Google's upcoming new mobile platform, you can download docs, an Android emulator etc. ...
Speaking of Android..... I really think it's gonna kick iPhone's butt! Google is so much more creative and open to change than Apple. I understand Android is now only a software but Google is on its way to get approved for a wireless license ( = selling cell phones).

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Speaking of Android..... I really think it's gonna kick iPhone's butt! Google is so much more creative and open to change than Apple. I understand Android is now only a software but Google is on its way to get approved for a wireless license ( = selling cell phones).
I think Android will be very interesting - Linux and open source gaining some mobile ground (in the smartphone area) would be good. But I don't think it will be kick iPhone's butt at all. Google are creative in some ways, but have no track record for design of products / hardware etc.

I think Android and Apple may be aiming at real different parts of the market anyway ...

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
I keep seeing references to iPhone SDK? Can someone please explain, in layman's terms, what SDK stands for and why it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
SDK stands for Software Development Kit. It is what Apple will be releasing to developers like Adobe and Google later this month. It will allow them to develop official applications for the iPhone. The applications will then become available on iTunes, most likely for a price.

- John