What is so bad about this unrecessed jack design? (photoshop image)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I did a bit of amateur Photoshop work and this is (roughly) what I think the iPhone would look like with a normal jack. I hope that if you have doubts about the design that you can at least use your imagination to figure out what the real deal would look like.

Am I just being naive here? What is so wrong about this design? I don't think it's too bad and if it's true what some are saying (that the jack is recessed to get additional reinforcement - which I don't buy) then this would solve it and at the same time keep us from having to use a "workaround" adapter.

And if the recessed jack is merely to make the iPhone more attractive, well, I don't think this is ugly in the slightest! It's HONEST! What ever happened to integrity in design?

This is all we are asking for. Well, I am anyway.

Form follows function. It should ALWAYS be this way! And I don't think this "compromise" is ugly. No, it's not symmetrical. And to some it might be ugly. But to reduce the functionality just for appearance's sake is well, just snobby. It is Apple telling us that their pride in beautiful design is more important than our desire for useful functionality. They are willing to sacrifice our 3rd party earphones for their high fallutin' "clean lines." Apple is saying that they are better than us. That they know what is better for us than we do.

And that is just plain wrong.

Get off your elitist high horse Steve and give us what WE NEED, not what you want!

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Am I just being naive here? What is so wrong about this design?
The body of the headphone plug is not supported/braced by the shell of the iPhone, leaving it prone to accidental lateral deflection, and premature failure of the headphone socket.

That's why Apple pay their industrial design guys big $$$ - they think about these things, and bring the years of iPod experience to bear when designing a new product.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Get off your elitist high horse Steve and give us what WE NEED, not what you want!

Um... I like the iPhone the way it is.

And considering that the headphones that came with the iPhone have a built-in microphone and basic controls for pausing and skipping tracks, I'd imagine that Apple figured a lot of people would go ahead and buy NEW headphones for their $600 phone anyway, if they didn't like the included ones, but still wanted their additional functionality. I know for me, I don't want headphones that do less! I don't want to have to unsleep the phone just to skip or pause a track!

Not to mention, a $10 adaptor solves the problem if you don't want to buy new headphones.

It is what it is. They can't change it now, so this post is an exercise in futility.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
That's why Apple pay their industrial design guys big $$$ - they think about these things, and bring the years of iPod experience to bear when designing a new product.
Didn't they solve the problems with the ipod by now, WITHOUT going to a recessed jack?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
...considering that the headphones that came with the iPhone have a built-in microphone and basic controls for pausing and skipping tracks...
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE earBUDS! They are absolutely PAINFUL for me! It's like digging a 3 inch sized hatpin into my ear! And I am NOT just being overdramatic. How would you like that sort of pain when you wear the earbuds? Again, they are being elitist. "If your ears don't conform to our specific target audience, you will suffer."

Not to mention, a $10 adaptor solves the problem if you don't want to buy new headphones.
I know this has been beaten to death but, this does most certainly NOT NOT NOT "SOLVE" the problem. It ADDS problems. It provides two additional failure points to have the headphone detach from the phone. It's a workaround. Not as good as the less beautiful design.
It is what it is. They can't change it now, so this post is an exercise in futility.
No, it's not an exercise in futility. If we get on their case enough then it will ensure that they won't do something like this to us again! Make sure that iPhone 2.0 will have a NORMAL jack! Stop being sheep. Don't accept what they tell you that you must accept and tell THEM what you NEED! The customer is always right. But in order for them to know what you want, you have to speak UP!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Nothing beats physical protection of the hardware - built-in to the design by default.

It'll save many a dead iPhone headphone socket down the road I'm sure!
I repeat.
Didn't they solve the problems with the ipod by now, WITHOUT going to a recessed jack?

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
do you hear that?

sshhhh...listen...do you hear that?

it's the sound of the world's smallest violin playing your sob story.

seriously, get over it.

you have the most amazing convergence device ever created and you nitpick the headphone jack? the motherf-ing headphone jack?

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I repeat.
Apparently not!

It's the same process they went through with the MacBook PSU connectors.

They kept on re-designing until they finally got one that lasted, didn't kill the socket when flexed, and didn't cause the laptop to crash to the ground when you caught the power lead.

It took them many iterations, and many different designs to get to the magnetic plug we have today

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
tired of the petty crap

do you hear that?

sshhhh...listen...do you hear that?

it's the sound of the world's smallest violin playing your sob story.

seriously, get over it.

you have the most amazing convergence device ever created and you nitpick the headphone jack? the motherf-ing headphone jack?
I agree with you 100% iPhonenut! This post is a waste of our time! It would be better to give this guy the $10 to buy his headphone jack and kick him in the @$$ and show him the door.

Fred

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I agree with you 100% iPhonenut! This post is a waste of our time! It would be better to give this guy the $10 to buy his headphone jack and kick him in the @$$ and show him the door.

Fred
I think you're both out of line, and it's a shame that the moderator doesn't squelch you. You greatly lower both the manners and intelligence levels of this forum.

It's easy to see on all iPhone websites, that many owners are unhappy about the recessed jack and having to use an unsightly adapter on such an otherwise elegant design.

Instead of complaining, it's nice to see someone trying to explore alternatives.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE earBUDS! They are absolutely PAINFUL for me! It's like digging a 3 inch sized hatpin into my ear! And I am NOT just being overdramatic. How would you like that sort of pain when you wear the earbuds? Again, they are being elitist. "If your ears don't conform to our specific target audience, you will suffer."

I know this has been beaten to death but, this does most certainly NOT NOT NOT "SOLVE" the problem. It ADDS problems. It provides two additional failure points to have the headphone detach from the phone. It's a workaround. Not as good as the less beautiful design.
No, it's not an exercise in futility. If we get on their case enough then it will ensure that they won't do something like this to us again! Make sure that iPhone 2.0 will have a NORMAL jack! Stop being sheep. Don't accept what they tell you that you must accept and tell THEM what you NEED! The customer is always right. But in order for them to know what you want, you have to speak UP!
Okay, first off, did you ignore the part about the headphones that came with the iPhone having additional funtionality... and functionality that is IMPORTANT (um, microphone? um, not having to unsleep the phone to skip or pause a track)?

You bought your phone as a BRAND NEW product... you ARE aware there will most likely be lots of aftermarket brand headphones WITH this functionality available in the future... then you can get away from earbuds.

In the meantime, you'll just have to buy the extension jack, or buy the little attachments that go on the earbuds themselves to help make them more comfortable. There will be tons of aftermarket headphones soon enough... and they WON'T make any of us have to give up the functionality of the the ones that came WITH the iPhone. Sure, there are headphones out there more comfortable, but I'll deal with the pain for now because I'm not willing to give up the functionality... and regardless of whether the jack was recessed or not, that would STILL be the case... which is the point you're missing.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Honestly, I would give anything if my current phone HAD a standard headphone jack! I am forced to using headphones that came with the phone all the time now because my phone's mic doesn't work anymore.

Apple love standards. If your headphones don't match the standards of the 3.5 mm jack, then it's not the iPhone's fault. you have a poorly made plug.

So you have to use a adapter, ok. personally I would be more worried about the fact that the headphones plugged into my phone don't have a microphone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Okay, first off, did you ignore the part about the headphones that came with the iPhone having additional funtionality... and functionality that is IMPORTANT (um, microphone? um, not having to unsleep the phone to skip or pause a track)?
Umm, no. That's precisely my point. Apple is holding our functionality ransom. We are forced to use theirspecial earbuds, attachments (which I have on order) or wait to purchase specially made brand new headphones when they are availabe. Another $100 or in some people's case $300. And render our current high dollar headphones useless.

And for the record, I love my iPhone. I just don't appreciate big corporations telling me how to live my life or use MY possessions. And I REALLY don't appreciate people telling me that I should just lie down and take it.

And a friendly warning to some of you, you are breaking the clearly laid out rules. Be careful. And I'm not a troll. I've been waiting for this phone longer than we even had rumors that Apple was considering it.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Umm, no. That's precisely my point. Apple is holding our functionality ransom. We are forced to use theirspecial earbuds, attachments (which I have on order) or wait to purchase specially made brand new headphones when they are availabe. Another $100 or in some people's case $300. And render our current high dollar headphones useless.

And for the record, I love my iPhone. I just don't appreciate big corporations telling me how to live my life or use MY possessions. And I REALLY don't appreciate people telling me that I should just lie down and take it.

And a friendly warning to some of you, you are breaking the clearly laid out rules. Be careful. And I'm not a troll. I've been waiting for this phone longer than we even had rumors that Apple was considering it.
Troll, maybe

iMoaner - certainly

Seriously, you need to get over it - it's a design consideration based on sound principles - not just there to pi$$ you off.

If Apple hadn't given you a headset you'd have a point - but as it is, you're trying to make a storm in a tea cup, a mountain out of a molehill, something out of nothing...

To Make a mountain out of a molehill or Making a mountain out of a molehill is an English idiom which means to make a big deal out of a minor issue.
The behavior is frequently exhibited by persons suffering from anxiety disorder.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
You're still not listening. You current high dollar headphones were USELESS anyway without a microphone or ability to control the iPod. You seem to keep missing that point.

Buy the stupid $10 adaptor and be done with your complaining... but I don't want to hear it from you that you have to unsleep the phone to control the iPod or that your expensive headphone don't have a microphone. LOL

Big corporations telling you how to live your life? Jeez man, could you sound anymore like a nut? This is a BRAND NEW device, so just because it isn't 100% compatible with everything that came before it doesn't mean anyone is telling you how to "live your life". Dude, it's a PHONE - LOL - Not to mention, you DID decide to buy it all on your own right?

Apple designed the jack as ressessed for whatever reason and in the process knew your non-iphone headphones would lack functionality, so they'd need replacing ANYWAY... but guess what? If you're okay without those features, you can just get a cheap adaptor.

Sounds to me like you're being more difficult than it's worth.

And who now is telling people how to live their lives? LOL

:p

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Bloody hell, guys. People are entitled to their opinion.

The iPhone is great but not perfect and if I were Apple's R&D guys I would be looking at the Forums to see what turns people on and off about the device. Rabid fanboyism doesn't promote critical development.