What is so bad about this unrecessed jack design? (photoshop image)

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Bloody hell, guys. People are entitled to their opinion.

The iPhone is great but not perfect and if I were Apple's R&D guys I would be looking at the Forums to see what turns people on and off about the device. Rabid fanboyism doesn't promote critical development.
Thank you. It really sucks if you have a problem with the iPhone, since if you mention anything about it here, you get called a troll and bashed to no end.

Simply put, Apple chose aesthetic value over functionality. The recessed headphone port is NOT needed for reinforcement, since the port is NOT SOLDERED to the main PCB, but rather a small PCB, that is allowed to move freely via flexible cable. The PCB would just wiggle with the headphone port.

If you all want to sit back and let Apple control what accessories you buy, so be it. But all of us who are bitching have very legitimate reasons to do so.

I know this may be a shocker to some of you, but, the iPhone, as wonderful as it is, has some pretty major flaws.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I predict this problem will be solved when Apple releases the A2DP patch in the future. You can then all realize that wires are yesterdays technology and you will wonder why Apple didn't include it in the original release of the "most advanced music player in the world".

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
The body of the headphone plug is not supported/braced by the shell of the iPhone, leaving it prone to accidental lateral deflection, and premature failure of the headphone socket.

That's why Apple pay their industrial design guys big $$$ - they think about these things, and bring the years of iPod experience to bear when designing a new product.
Being a businesss, I'm sure the last thing they had on their mind was selling that 10 dollar adapter to everyone:rolleyes:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE earBUDS! They are absolutely PAINFUL for me! It's like digging a 3 inch sized hatpin into my ear! And I am NOT just being overdramatic. How would you like that sort of pain when you wear the earbuds? Again, they are being elitist. "If your ears don't conform to our specific target audience, you will suffer."

I know this has been beaten to death but, this does most certainly NOT NOT NOT "SOLVE" the problem. It ADDS problems. It provides two additional failure points to have the headphone detach from the phone. It's a workaround. Not as good as the less beautiful design.
No, it's not an exercise in futility. If we get on their case enough then it will ensure that they won't do something like this to us again! Make sure that iPhone 2.0 will have a NORMAL jack! Stop being sheep. Don't accept what they tell you that you must accept and tell THEM what you NEED! The customer is always right. But in order for them to know what you want, you have to speak UP!
i don't think anyone is being a sheep. The product is what it is. You have 14 days to try it and return it if you don't like it. I personally have no problem with the included earbuds and like being able to push a button on them to answer my calls without having to do anything else or pause my ipod. You people are trying to make the iPhone perfect. There is no way a product is going to be perfect in the eyes of every consumer. We all knew the nuances of the phone before we bought it. I knew there was a recessed jack. Did it bug me? not really. Nothing is perfect, but all in all it's better than any phone (Treo, Q, HTC, Razr, etc.) that i've had in the past. Could it be better? Sure. What couldn't? Apple does have a feedback module on their website. I suggest you use that as a platform for your complaints. I've made my suggestions via this method, such as cut and paste, non web 2.0 3rd party apps, MMS, A2DP, file manager, document editing applications, etc. It is a lot more constructive means of doing such than everyone continuing these fruitless rants (and calling people sheep) over what everyone on this forum already knows the iPhone lacks.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thank you. It really sucks if you have a problem with the iPhone, since if you mention anything about it here, you get called a troll and bashed to no end.

Simply put, Apple chose aesthetic value over functionality. The recessed headphone port is NOT needed for reinforcement, since the port is NOT SOLDERED to the main PCB, but rather a small PCB, that is allowed to move freely via flexible cable. The PCB would just wiggle with the headphone port.

If you all want to sit back and let Apple control what accessories you buy, so be it. But all of us who are bitching have very legitimate reasons to do so.

I know this may be a shocker to some of you, but, the iPhone, as wonderful as it is, has some pretty major flaws.
nobody is bashing people for having an opinion, but come on, after seeing the same complaints and rants a hundred times, it brings to mind a saying about a dead horse and a beating. there are more constructive ways to go about it such as the feedback page on Apples website on the iPhone page. I have some minor annoyances with the iPhone as well but i'm happy with the phone. I've voiced my opinion through their feedback page and hopefully they are reading their users' concerns and considering them when they release a software update. of course this cannot help the headphone jack issue, but most of the other things are easy fixes through software.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I think you're both out of line, and it's a shame that the moderator doesn't squelch you. You greatly lower both the manners and intelligence levels of this forum.
i'm hearing that violin again...

Bloody hell, guys. People are entitled to their opinion.
and so am i...my opinion is that a complaint like this is laughable.

like others have said, who is twisting your arm to keep the phone? if the headphone jack bothers you THAT MUCH...to the point of photoshopping a different headphone jack design (which is really ugly and takes away from the aesthetics)...then you may want to return it and pay that restocking fee.

people always have something to complain about, and when it gets to the headphones, then i think it starts becoming nit-picking and not any sort of actual concern

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I predict this problem will be solved when Apple releases the A2DP patch in the future. You can then all realize that wires are yesterdays technology and you will wonder why Apple didn't include it in the original release of the "most advanced music player in the world".
Yeah. I said this 2 months BEFORE the iPhone was released. I knew it wouldn't have A2DP, and I suspect it won't for at LEAST 6 months, maybe it never will. Maybe iPhone 2.0. I just got my icombi A2DP adapter. Can't wait to try it out.

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Grant to us the serenity of mind to accept that which cannot be changed; the courage to change that which can be changed, and the wisdom to know the one from the other....

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah. I said this 2 months BEFORE the iPhone was released. I knew it wouldn't have A2DP, and I suspect it won't for at LEAST 6 months, maybe it never will. Maybe iPhone 2.0. I just got my icombi A2DP adapter. Can't wait to try it out.
I would expect that update to come sooner rather than later. Its a simple function of upgrading the bluetooth stack. It is such a glaring omission I would suspect its high on their priority list. More so than anything else IMO.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I think it's perfectly fine to question any aspect of a product that doesn't meet with your wants or needs. If customers did not do that, then how would the product improve? I've been looking at this also, as my fave earbuds do not fit in the jack either.

Would it be possible to alter the plug on the earbuds to fit? Looks like a little Dremel action would reduce the area around the base of the plug to dovetail with the recessed jack, no?

(FYI: I do not have an iPhone, yet. But several of my friends and coworkers do and they have been gracious enough to let me play with theirs.)

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
nobody is bashing people for having an opinion
With respect, yes they are.
but come on, after seeing the same complaints and rants a hundred times, it brings to mind a saying about a dead horse and a beating.
I had new information. A lot of people are saying that the Phone HAD to have a recessed jack for two reasons. I did a quick design sketch that nullified both of those reasons. I wanted people's opinions on this design. But after the first two replies this thread turned out to be an argument about my opinion that the original design is not good enough. Stinking hijackers.
there are more constructive ways to go about it such as the feedback page on Apples website on the iPhone page. I have some minor annoyances with the iPhone as well but i'm happy with the phone. I've voiced my opinion through their feedback page and hopefully they are reading their users' concerns and considering them when they release a software update.
Key word there: hopefully. We can only be sure that they will listen to us if we bombard them with complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Discussions like this raise the volume of our voice. The more people that see that other people have issues like the one they are having, the more likely they are to visit the page that you supplied and speak to Apple directly. Your link is the first time I saw it. Thank you for posting it. Also, the more discussions like this there are, the more likely a researcher from Apple's R&D team will see the passion we feel about issues like this.
of course this cannot help the headphone jack issue, but most of the other things are easy fixes through software.
If they CHOOSE to give us what we want. Acting like fanboy sheep and blindly accepting what Apple gives us doesn't ensure that they will give us what we need.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
With respect, yes they are.I had new information. A lot of people are saying that the Phone HAD to have a recessed jack for two reasons. I did a quick design sketch that nullified both of those reasons. I wanted people's opinions on this design. But after the first two replies this thread turned out to be an argument about my opinion that the original design is not good enough. Stinking hijackers.Key word there: hopefully. We can only be sure that they will listen to us if we bombard them with complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Discussions like this raise the volume of our voice. The more people that see that other people have issues like the one they are having, the more likely they are to visit the page that you supplied and speak to Apple directly. Your link is the first time I saw it. Thank you for posting it. Also, the more discussions like this there are, the more likely a researcher from Apple's R&D team will see the passion we feel about issues like this.If they CHOOSE to give us what we want. Acting like fanboy sheep and blindly accepting what Apple gives us doesn't ensure that they will give us what we need.
Totally agree with your "squeaky wheel gets the grease" phrase. I just don't know that a bunch of squeakin in here will get any kind of constructive response and is just inviting the fanboys to lash back. Now if you squeaked and gave a platform for people to get their opinions across to Apple, that's another story altogether. And for the record, I'm not a fanboy of Apple, m$, ps3/sony or anyone. I have products from all of those and I can find a complaint with every one of them. Does that mean I'm not happy with them? Absolutely not. I have minor complaints with the iPhone, but I, like the majority am happy with it, and if I'm not, I can return it and get my money back (most of it anyways). If i was a sheep, I'd be keeping it AND unhappy with it. I've voiced my concerns to them, and hope you and others will too. I respect your opinion on the matter and my point was not to bash you for it, but moreso correct your sheep analogy. I also completely agree with you that function should take precedence over form and to me the protruding headphone jack in the photo you posted would not really look bad at all.

I don't have much experience with Apple products but from what i hear they do listen to their customers and try to keep as many happy as possible. As we know nobody can keep everyone happy.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
With respect, yes they are.I had new information. A lot of people are saying that the Phone HAD to have a recessed jack for two reasons. I did a quick design sketch that nullified both of those reasons. I wanted people's opinions on this design. But after the first two replies this thread turned out to be an argument about my opinion that the original design is not good enough. Stinking hijackers.
Your sketch means nothing without knowing the internals of the phone design as well. All you did was changed the exterior of the phone... and, IMO, not for the better.

Key word there: hopefully. We can only be sure that they will listen to us if we bombard them with complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Discussions like this raise the volume of our voice. The more people that see that other people have issues like the one they are having, the more likely they are to visit the page that you supplied and speak to Apple directly.
Your existing phone cannot be changed to accommodate your sketch - so like I said in my first reply, this in an exercise in futility. Like has also been said, because the headphones needed to contain additional functionality, the fact your third-party headphones aren't compatible isn't just a matter of jack size, which IS something that CAN be rectified with a cheap adaptor anyway.

Your link is the first time I saw it. Thank you for posting it. Also, the more discussions like this there are, the more likely a researcher from Apple's R&D team will see the passion we feel about issues like this.If they CHOOSE to give us what we want. Acting like fanboy sheep and blindly accepting what Apple gives us doesn't ensure that they will give us what we need.
No one is acting like a fanboy. If you were complaining about something that could actually be fixed it might be a more productive discussion.

Had Apple put out headphones compatible with your existing third-party headphones, you and a million other people would be complaining that they don't work properly on a phone call (because they lack a microphone) or you'd be screaming what a royal pain in the you-know-what it is to have to unsleep the phone just to pause or skip a track (since there are basic controls on the wire of the iPhone headphone's).

Headphones that don't allow me to easily take a phone call when I'm mid-music, or that don't allow me to control the iPod without unsleeping the phone are much more useless to me, and there'd be a LOT more complaints of THAT had they gone with your plan. You seem to be missing that, or choosing to selectively ignore it.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Had Apple put out headphones compatible with your existing third-party headphones, you and a million other people would be complaining that they don't work properly on a phone call (because they lack a microphone) or you'd be screaming what a royal pain in the you-know-what it is to have to unsleep the phone just to pause or skip a track (since there are basic controls on the wire of the iPhone headphone's).
Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know what I would "complain" about. You only know that you think that I am a complainer for complaining's sake. You (and many) are committing a common straw man falacy. If my existing headphones worked without having to cut a piece of them off, I wouldn't complain at all. Would I lack functionality that is included in the Apple headphones? Sure! Of course. Would I complain? Why would I? THAT would be a frivilous complaint. But this one isn't.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Don't put words in my mouth. You don't know what I would "complain" about. You only know that you think that I am a complainer for complaining's sake. You (and many) are committing a common straw man falacy. If my existing headphones worked without having to cut a piece of them off, I wouldn't complain at all. Would I lack functionality that is included in the Apple headphones? Sure! Of course. Would I complain? Why would I? THAT would be a frivilous complaint. But this one isn't.
And of course, the world revolves around you. So that fact that YOU, SmartAlx, wouldn't complaint (if true) doesn't mean that lots of other people wouldn't.

I'm riding my bike, or jogging, or taking a trip on a train and the iPhone is in my pocket. I'm listening to music. A phone call comes in.

Your third party headphones make it a REAL pain in the ass to take that phone call. The headphones that came with the iPhone work perfectly because they actually have a microphone and the controls that allow me to take the call without having to dig out the phone and unsleep it. Since it's a PHONE, which do you think is more important?

Really dude, go buy the $10 adaptor. It's a simple solution for you if you plan to never get a phone call in the scenario above.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
And of course, the world revolves around you. So that fact that YOU, SmartAlx, wouldn't complaint (if true) doesn't mean that lots of other people wouldn't.

I'm riding my bike, or jogging, or taking a trip on a train and the iPhone is in my pocket. I'm listening to music. A phone call comes in.

Your third party headphones make it a REAL pain in the ass to take that phone call. The headphones that came with the iPhone work perfectly because they actually have a microphone and the controls that allow me to take the call without having to dig out the phone and unsleep it. Since it's a PHONE, which do you think is more important?

Really dude, go buy the $10 adaptor. It's a simple solution for you if you plan to never get a phone call in the scenario above.
You guys are so funny. Actually defending the fact that Apple has limmited the flexibility of the device so you cant choose what headphones you use without an ugly adapter. Apple breads some serious fans. I have also seen the lack of 3g defended. Actually DEFENDED!