What is so bad about this unrecessed jack design? (photoshop image)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Why, because Steve Jobs says so?
I love you guys that continue to argue these same point, senselessly.

You're the only one suffering from this. All the people "defending" it, are happy with the product. If you don't like it, get it out of your life. Which ever way you see fit. Sell it, return it, destroy it, whatever.
You'd be a lot happier, and you could go get whatever phone you want, and you would have lots more time in your life to do things with your new phone, since you would have no reason to post here, anymore. :D

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I love you guys that continue to argue these same point, senselessly.

You're the only one suffering from this. All the people "defending" it, are happy with the product. If you don't like it, get it out of your life. Which ever way you see fit. Sell it, return it, destroy it, whatever.
You'd be a lot happier, and you could go get whatever phone you want, and you would have lots more time in your life to do things with your new phone, since you would have no reason to post here, anymore. :D

ok, fair enough. but why is better to not have 3g?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
For the US market it does although one could also argue that wi-fi also sucks the life out of the battery so we're on dodgy ground here.
True, but at least WiFi would be (pretty much) full broadband speed. More "bang for your buck", i guess.

I think someone else here said that they used nothing but WiFi one day, doing a ton of browsing, and when it was in WiFi, it actually lasted longer than EDGE. Makes sense, especially if you're in a poor EDGE signal area...

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
ok, fair enough. but why is better to not have 3g?
Because 3G is a battery eating MONSTER. I've seen it with my own eyes. This device is meant to do multiple tasks. It's supposed to be 3 complete products, in one. You could never get any functionality out of the iPod and other features, if the battery was constantly dead. Plus, with the way it's designed physically, it makes it a pain in the butt if the battery is constantly getting drained to near dead. This is why the Blackjack included a docking station and 2nd battery.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
(bold comments mine)If you don't like it (logical fallacy), get it out of your life. Which ever way you see fit. Sell it, return it, destroy it, whatever.
You'd be a lot happier, and you could go get whatever phone you want (doesn’t exist), and you would have lots more time in your life to do things with your new phone (logical fallacy), since you would have no reason to post here, anymore. :D
See, there you go. You assume that because I dislike this one issue, that I dislike the entire phone. Why do so many anti-complainers commit this fallacy?

I dislike A
A is part of B
Then I must dislike B.
Complete poppy****!

But you ARE telling me that.
iPhone is great
I have an iPhone
I must live with it without complaining
Stop making this argument. It’s fallacious.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
You guys are so funny. Actually defending the fact that Apple has limmited the flexibility of the device so you cant choose what headphones you use without an ugly adapter. Apple breads some serious fans. I have also seen the lack of 3g defended. Actually DEFENDED!
Now what I actually did was defend the fact that the current iPhone, sans 3G, is still a viable proposition.

Don't go misquoting me now! :mad:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For the US market it does although one could also argue that wi-fi also sucks the life out of the battery...
Except that you can't:
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3036
======================================================
"Without a doubt, current 3G implementations do require more space and consume more power than simply outfitting a phone with support for EDGE. Using the Samsung Blackjack as an example, turning on 3G reduces battery life by around 25% under web/email use. The biggest impact of all is, surprisingly enough, talk time; with 3G enabled, the Blackjack's talk time is cut in half, with absolutely no benefit realized from the higher bandwidth standard.

At the same time, Apple's choice to include 802.11b/g support in the iPhone makes a lot of sense. Battery life actually increases with Wi-Fi over EDGE whenever the data connection is being used, not to mention that performance goes up tremendously as well."

======================================================

That article shows that the claim regarding both size and battery life are true. It also shows that WiFi is easier on the battery than EDGE--and that 3G would draw even more than EDGE.

Regardless, this device, much like any device, is a set of compromises. If every single thing was uncompromised we'd have a device as large as a laptop--and of course that would mean compromising size and weight so would not really be uncompromised at all.

Regarding the headset jack, yes I would rather it work with any 3.5 mm headset. But it's far from a deal-killer to me.

Also, I fully expect that wired adapters, with inline mics and an answer/control button, will be out so that you can use your own headphones yet still take calls and control music. They are available for Treos, for example. If I wanted to use my own headphones with my iPhone I'd probably buy such an accessory anyway--whether the jack was recessed or not.

Indeed I have a decent set of headphones that I shaved down to fit the jack. But I rarely use them since I'd really only do so for music and not having track control/pause is a big detraction for me. Obviously I'd prefer to use the phone with them too (without having to touch my iPhone).

BTW: I am not complaining about complainers here; I believe everyone should have a right to express their opinion. But for me this is not a big issue, one I can easily work around, and obviously not something that can be changed via an update. Need to keep some perspective, that's all.

--
Mike

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com

See, there you go. You assume that because I dislike this one issue, that I dislike the entire phone. Why do so many anti-complainers commit this fallacy?

I dislike A
A is part of B
Then I must dislike B.
Complete poppy****!

iPhone is great
I have an iPhone

Making a Mountain out of a Molehill

Love the bit about 'The behavior is frequently exhibited by persons suffering from anxiety disorder' - maybe you have SAD - Socket Anxiety Disorder :p:p:p

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

I dislike A

A is part of B

Then I must dislike B.
Complete poppy****!

iPhone is great

I have an iPhone

i'm not saying this in an argumentative way nor am I telling you that you don't have the right to complain about what annoys you about the iPhone. But seriously, what good do you expect to achieve by doing it and continuing to argue it? And I'm asking in a serious, sincere manner as maybe I too will start complaining if you can make a compelling case for it. I just don't think Apple really has people browsing these forums and most of the time all it is doing is baiting people who are way too proud of their investment to retaliate towards you. One would think it makes a bigger statement to go straight to the source and email them, call them, or better yet, if they get a lot of returned iPhones and AT&T gets a lot of cancelled contracts due to this they will know that they have missed on the first one and they have work to do on the second version.

Everyone-if we all make it a team effort to inform Apple of what areas they went wrong in instead of arguing it would be much more fruitful and everyone would benefit. To all the non-complainers or anti-complainers I have to say that i doubt that there is a single one of you that doesn't have one minor complaint, issue, annoyance from the iPhone. My biggest issue is MMS, copy/paste, A2DP. I've made it known through Apple's feedback in the link I posted above and hopefully everyone will do the same. I absolutely love my iPhone in spite of some of my disappointments, but I knew of them well before I bought the phone as well.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and really it is pointless to argue against everyone's opinion. To the anti-complainers, the iPhone does not need your defense :cool: I think it's selling pretty well without it

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
i'm not saying this in an argumentative way nor am I telling you that you don't have the right to complain about what annoys you about the iPhone. But seriously, what good do you expect to achieve by doing it and continuing to argue it? And I'm asking in a serious, sincere manner as maybe I too will start complaining if you can make a compelling case for it. I just don't think Apple really has people browsing these forums and most of the time all it is doing is baiting people who are way too proud of their investment to retaliate towards you. One would think it makes a bigger statement to go straight to the source and email them, call them, or better yet, if they get a lot of returned iPhones and AT&T gets a lot of cancelled contracts due to this they will know that they have missed on the first one and they have work to do on the second version.

Everyone-if we all make it a team effort to inform Apple of what areas they went wrong in instead of arguing it would be much more fruitful and everyone would benefit. To all the non-complainers or anti-complainers I have to say that i doubt that there is a single one of you that doesn't have one minor complaint, issue, annoyance from the iPhone. My biggest issue is MMS, copy/paste, A2DP. I've made it known through Apple's feedback in the link I posted above and hopefully everyone will do the same. I absolutely love my iPhone in spite of some of my disappointments, but I knew of them well before I bought the phone as well.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and really it is pointless to argue against everyone's opinion. To the anti-complainers, the iPhone does not need your defense :cool: I think it's selling pretty well without it

"And I'm asking in a serious, sincere manner as maybe I too will start complaining if you can make a compelling case for it. I just don't think Apple really has people browsing these forums and most of the time"

Thats not true. Apple most certainly has people reading these forums for the explicit purpose of garnering consumer feedback. Constant complaining on the Treocentral forums actually producted a response from Palm.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
i'm not saying this in an argumentative way nor am I telling you that you don't have the right to complain about what annoys you about the iPhone. But seriously, what good do you expect to achieve by doing it and continuing to argue it? And I'm asking in a serious, sincere manner as maybe I too will start complaining if you can make a compelling case for it.
I am not the only guilty party in continuing the argument. Nevertheless… I will answer your question with a previous reply (to your reply – so I know you read it) in this same thread:
We can only be sure that they will listen to us if we bombard them with complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Discussions like this raise the volume of our voice. The more people that see that other people have issues like the one they are having, the more likely they are to visit the page that you supplied and speak to Apple directly.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I am not the only guilty party in continuing the argument. Nevertheless… I will answer your question with a previous reply (to your reply – so I know you read it) in this same thread:
my apologies I must have missed that. speed reading while at work on iphone-sometimes I miss a few words :laugh2:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Forgiven. So are you on my side yet? LOL :p
LOL i don't take sides. I was never in disagreement with you about the headphone jack however, which was your main purpose of this thread. It doesn't bother me that i had to put my pocket knife to my $20 Belkin FM transmitter to make it fit the headphone jack (no I'm not a sheep-I complained to Apple), but still for what I paid for it I shouldn't have to change out all my accessories that should work out of the box with it. I'm in total agreement with you on that one. :)

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I did a bit of amateur Photoshop work and this is (roughly) what I think the iPhone would look like with a normal jack. I hope that if you have doubts about the design that you can at least use your imagination to figure out what the real deal would look like.

Am I just being naive here? What is so wrong about this design? I don't think it's too bad and if it's true what some are saying (that the jack is recessed to get additional reinforcement - which I don't buy) then this would solve it and at the same time keep us from having to use a "workaround" adapter.

And if the recessed jack is merely to make the iPhone more attractive, well, I don't think this is ugly in the slightest! It's HONEST! What ever happened to integrity in design?

This is all we are asking for. Well, I am anyway.

Form follows function. It should ALWAYS be this way! And I don't think this "compromise" is ugly. No, it's not symmetrical. And to some it might be ugly. But to reduce the functionality just for appearance's sake is well, just snobby. It is Apple telling us that their pride in beautiful design is more important than our desire for useful functionality. They are willing to sacrifice our 3rd party earphones for their high fallutin' "clean lines." Apple is saying that they are better than us. That they know what is better for us than we do.

And that is just plain wrong.

Get off your elitist high horse Steve and give us what WE NEED, not what you want!

thats ugly as hell:oops:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I'm having a hard time understanding why people are obsessing over the headphone jack. Sure, it would be nice if my horribly expensive Shure headphones worked without modification with my iPhone... but hey, when Shure or some other high-end maker of headphones comes out with a set specifically for the iPhone (with the mic included for phone calls) I'll have to buy them anyway. I honestly don't want to use my Shures with my iPhone because I can't take a call with them in.

Face it, for your headphones to be fully functional you'll need to upgrade your headsets. It's a fact of life, this is a totally new product, not 'just another iPod'.