What is so bad about this unrecessed jack design? (photoshop image)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm having a hard time understanding why people are obsessing over the headphone jack. Sure, it would be nice if my horribly expensive Shure headphones worked without modification with my iPhone... but hey, when Shure or some other high-end maker of headphones comes out with a set specifically for the iPhone (with the mic included for phone calls) I'll have to buy them anyway. I honestly don't want to use my Shures with my iPhone because I can't take a call with them in.

Face it, for your headphones to be fully functional you'll need to upgrade your headsets. It's a fact of life, this is a totally new product, not 'just another iPod'.
I definitily agree with this, but as an FYI I wouldn't mind an adapter (with mic and button) to allow full functionality using existing headphones.

These things are very cheap for the Treo. In case I'm not making myself clear, here's one for $6, shipped (for Treo!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-HEADSET-ADAPTER-for-TREO-650-700-680-750v-MIC_W0QQitemZ290141792651QQihZ019QQcategoryZ108323QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--
Mike

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'm having a hard time understanding why people are obsessing over the headphone jack. Sure, it would be nice if my horribly expensive Shure headphones worked without modification with my iPhone... but hey, when Shure or some other high-end maker of headphones comes out with a set specifically for the iPhone (with the mic included for phone calls) I'll have to buy them anyway. I honestly don't want to use my Shures with my iPhone because I can't take a call with them in.

Face it, for your headphones to be fully functional you'll need to upgrade your headsets. It's a fact of life, this is a totally new product, not 'just another iPod'.
Amen :)

and BTW, Aggieman, I HAVE spend time on the phone with Apple about issues that CAN actually be addressed. This useless thread is an issue that CANNOT be addressed with our current phones (and is easily resolved with a cheap adaptor). Considering the points I've made, and Tharmsen has made, it should be fairly obvious why it's really not an issue at all.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Amen :)

and BTW, Aggieman, I HAVE spend time on the phone with Apple about issues that CAN actually be addressed. This useless thread is an issue that CANNOT be addressed with our current phones (and is easily resolved with a cheap adaptor). Considering the points I've made, and Tharmsen has made, it should be fairly obvious why it's really not an issue at all.
never said i was making an issue of it nor have i made any issues with any complaints about the iPhone on this forum. If ya read my post correctly i shaved down the plastic on my FM transmitter and my Shure headphones for when i used them and said I don't really have a problem with it. Do I think I should have to do that? No, but I don't have a problem with it. 99% of the time I, like you are as well, am using the included earbuds as they are much more convenient to use. :cool:

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
never said i was making an issue of it nor have i made any issues with any complaints about the iPhone on this forum. If ya read my post correctly i shaved down the plastic on my FM transmitter and my Shure headphones for when i used them and said I don't really have a problem with it. Do I think I should have to do that? No, but I don't have a problem with it. 99% of the time I, like you are as well, am using the included earbuds as they are much more convenient to use. :cool:
I realize you're not the one making an issue of it... was just answering your point a while back about taking the time to communicate with Apple about real issues. I've done that. With true bugs and issues that can actually be addressed I'd rather try to be a real part of the solution than just a squeaky wheel .

;)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I realize you're not the one making an issue of it... was just answering your point a while back about taking the time to communicate with Apple about real issues. I've done that. With real bugs and issues that can actually be addressed I'd rather try to be a real part of the solution than just a squeaky wheel .

;)
amen to that. I squeak, but squeak in the right direction ;)