What is the best password manager?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Still using 1Password. I like I can use Touch ID to open it. Even if I restart the phone. I also like syncing to Dropbox. I have the app on my Wife's phone as well with my log in. She only has one or two passwords. I have over 150.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I loved msecure, but we switched to LastPass a year ago and it works quite well. $1/month for all our PCs, Android and iOS devices.

Guest55

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
How is 1password so expensive? In my App Store it is free ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
How is 1password so expensive? In my App Store it is free ??

It's free for iOS. It's 50 bucks for the desktop version.

Lastpass is just the opposite. The desktop version is free but the iOS version is 12 bucks/year.

:confused:

Guest55

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Ah, I see. I was getting confused haha

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I can’t see paying anything for a password manager.

I use a spreadsheet to store my passwords. This has the added benefit that you can add additional columns as needed, such as for your security question(s), such as “What is the name of the last fruit you ate during your vacation to جمهورية العراق?” I don’t think password managers can do that (but I might be wrong, since I don’t use any of them).

Additionally, I use the built-in password managers that most modern browsers have. Many (or all) sync your passwords with their mobile counterparts, which is fantastic.
I'm also a big fan of avoiding paying for software when I can. But I'm really not a fan of these approaches.

Unless your disks are well encrypted, if someone gets a hold of one of your devices, your spreadsheet is available to them.

The same goes for storing your passwords in browsers. They really don't store the passwords well encrypted (although it's a bit better than it used to be). So again. Someone gets your device, if they're smart they can get your passwords.

$1/mo for lastpass for our 5 computers and 4 mobile devices is way cheap compared to the potential exposure. And the money we spent on mSecure before that was well spent as well. There are a lot of good solutions out there.

(oh, yes most password managers have extra fields: comments/notes to hold stuff like security questions. They've also usually got standard forms to store specific set of field for things like bank accounts, credit cards, passports, ...)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can’t see paying anything for a password manager.

I use a spreadsheet to store my passwords. This has the added benefit that you can add additional columns as needed, such as for your security question(s), such as “What is the name of the last fruit you ate during your vacation to جمهورية العراق?” I don’t think password managers can do that (but I might be wrong, since I don’t use any of them).

Additionally, I use the built-in password managers that most modern browsers have. Many (or all) sync your passwords with their mobile counterparts, which is fantastic.
You turn your iMac off every night rather than letting it sleep, manually back up individual files rather than letting Time Machine automate backups and restores and you use a spreadsheet for passwords rather than an encrypted password manager? Do you by chance print directions from MapQuest before going somewhere? ;)

My password manager allows me to add lines for security questions.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
You turn your iMac off every night rather than letting it sleep, manually back up individual files rather than letting Time Machine automate backups and restores and you use a spreadsheet for passwords rather than an encrypted password manager? Do you by chance print directions from MapQuest before going somewhere? ;)

My password manager allows me to add lines for security questions.
Sometimes the old way is best! I guess I feel a little more in control with a spreadsheet. I can tailor it to my precise needs on a per-site basis. So far, the spreadsheet method hasn't let me down, and I feel the file is well secured.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Sometimes the old way is best! I guess I feel a little more in control with a spreadsheet. I can tailor it to my precise needs on a per-site basis. So far, the spreadsheet method hasn't let me down, and I feel the file is well secured.
And you can access the spreadsheet from your iPhone?