What is the best video/audio screen capture software?

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
This question is for both iPhone and desktop as well. I've seen on youtube people that are showing how they do something specific on either their iPhone or mac. and their video just shows their desktop or iPhone screen. (like what steve jobs did during iPhone announcment of iPhone).

Does anyone use something like this that is good? Which one is the best? Which one is the worst.

Thank you!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There is no screen capture software for the iPhone. You can take screenshots, but not videos. I'm not sure how Jobs did it at the Keynote, but he had it hooked to the Mac with a cable, and obviously, that phone was enabled to do things ours can't.

As for the desktop, I use Copernicus for the Mac. It takes movies and saves them as .MOV files. I don't know one for the PC, though.

- John

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
During the meeting for the SDK they explained what it was plugged into.
But I'm not positive what he said it was.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
For the Mac I use SnapZproX. It allows you to capture video or screen shots and it captures audio (both video audio and mic audio). You can compress the video and do other useful things. It's quite powerful.

For the PC I use SnagIt. It's even more powerful than SnapZproX as it has the ability to edit your screen shots to edit pictures you've captured with text, graphics, etc. I would say the video capture is better with SnapZproX but the image capture is superior with SnagIt.

For the iPhone I have no idea.

Feb 12, 2008
Screen Capture Software for iphone- i have not heard about it before.Keep Goggling.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Thank you

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm going to be getting my first Apple computer here in a few weeks. I'm going to get the Macbook Pro, 15.4", 2.4GHZ and the then upgrade the HDD to a 7200 RPM drive. I've used a PC my whole life. When I get the new mac, once I figure out how to use it, I might like to make a few tutorials on what you can do with a mac. So I appreciate all of your input!

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
There is no screen capture software for the iPhone. You can take screenshots, but not videos. I'm not sure how Jobs did it at the Keynote, but he had it hooked to the Mac with a cable, and obviously, that phone was enabled to do things ours can't.

As for the desktop, I use Copernicus for the Mac. It takes movies and saves them as .MOV files. I don't know one for the PC, though.

- John
John, there is screen capture software, you just have to jailbreak to get it.

I Use QuickTime X for my Laptop screen captures. Its so easy to use and every Mac already has it. It can upload directly to youtube etc. Its highquality as well as a bonus to record using the isight as well. The only thing it doesn't do is record both the screen and use isight at the same time.

If you don't like Quicktime X then there is also Camtasia which is very good as well.

As for screen recording the iPhone. Make sure you are connected to the same wifi network as the computer. *Note your iPhone/iPod touch will need to be jailbroken with Screensplitr installed from cydia.
Using Camtasia Follow this tutorial.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Sigh.... due to EIC being VERY slow today and im currently having a glitch where you cannot edit posts. I had to make an additional post.

A few tidbits i left out.

You can only use the way i showed with Safari. Nothing else.
You must be connected to the same wifi as the computer.
Camtasia or Cam studio are good programs to use to record the iPhones screen. Ill have to give it a go with Quicktime X to see if it'll work.

Everything is both for mac and windows. Good luck.

Trestan

Apr 9, 2010
I use the program Screen VidShot, to me has very much helps.

Poppydi

May 11, 2010
For screen recording you can use Macvide ScreenCap. I like this program.