What is the difference between 2G talk time and 3G talk time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Jun 10, 2008.

1. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Jobs mentioned how the iPhone 3G has 10 hours 2G talk time and 5 hours 3G talk time. What does that mean? Is 3G talk time better quality? I thought 3G was for data only, not voice.

2. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Here's the specs from http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html (bump):

Power and battery
    • Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    • Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    • Talk time: Up to 5 hours on 3G, Up to 10 hours on 2G
    • Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    • Internet use:Up to 5 hours on 3G, Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi
    • Video playback: Up to 7 hours
    • Audio playback: Up to 24 hours

3. chrissurra

chrissurra New Member
    Bronze

The only difference I know of is if you surf using 3g the calls will come through and not bounce to voicemail like they do with edge.

Im sure its probably a better quality too since its using a better data rate.

4. aknightstale41

Gold

Not sure, but i think that now with 3G you can receive calls while browsing the internet, and the faster download speeds, must somehow affect talk time in some way. Maybe 3G is always active where as 2G was only active during calls and data, and was paused while doing other things like using the ipod....but this is just a guess.

5. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Well if 3G cuts talk time in half even if you're not actively using it, they should have it only switch from 2G to 3G when you try and surf the web or something IMO. How annoying will it be to manually switch 3G off every time you want to make a call, or manually switch it on every time you want to use the net?

6. chrissurra

chrissurra New Member
    Bronze

They probably have something in the firmware that will recognize when you make a call and bump it down to 2g and when you go into safari bump it up to 3g.

Fetching mail, weather and stocks will still most likely be 2g also.

7. Quake97

Quake97 New Member
    Silver

I highly doubt that. Doing that would turn off the part of the chip handling the call and probably drop it. I know that the phone can handle when you go from a 3G to a 2G calling area and not drop the call, but turning off the chip mid call doesn't sound good. I'm also not aware of any other phone with this feature.

Joe

8. projectdarkside

projectdarkside New Member

I watched the WWDC conference on youtube and it was a 5hr difference, but the new battery is a lot more powerful and efficient, cause what was really astounding was that the new iPhone 3G gets 24hrs music/audio time!

9. chrissurra

chrissurra New Member
    Bronze

No I meant when you go into the phone app it recognizes it and only uses 2g, and when you go into safari it uses 3g.

Im assuming most calls would be using the 2g band and data using the 3g band.

Lets face it otherwise if you had spotty 3g coverage you wouldn't be able to use it as it is intended which is a phone.

10. guest 5

guest 5 Member
    Bronze

The difference between 3G and 2G talk time and surfing is when you have a 3G signal, designated by the 3G logo in the status bar (like the E for EDGE now) you will be making 3G calls and surfing on the 3G network and also getting stocks, etc. over 3G. When your phone shows the E in the status bar, you will be making calls and checking stocks and surfing over EDGE, which is slower.

3G is not just for surfing the net. It is also for making calls.

11. psylichon

psylichon Genius

From how I understand it, you can receive a call when in 2G or in 3G mode. There is no auto-switching, but you can turn off 3G manually. The benefit to turning it off is longer battery life. The benefits to turning it on are faster download times and simultaneous voice and data reception. It is a choice you will have to make yourself, but unfortunately will not be made automatically for you.

12. stuart9682

stuart9682 New Member
    Bronze

the current iPhone gets 24 hours of audio playback. do your research.

13. guest 5

guest 5 Member
    Bronze

Like psylichon said, you can manually turn off and on the 3G part of the phone. But when you are in a 3G area, or a 2G area, the calls and data transmissions will be made on the network that you are currently on.

14. projectdarkside

projectdarkside New Member

WTH you mean do my research! just cause I didn't use the word "playback", Ive read and saw the WWDC event so don't even try to call me out:mad:

15. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

What he meant was that both iPhones have identical music/audio time - 24 hours. There have been no improvements with the new iPhone in this respect.

16. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Why would you ever want to talk on 3G talk time over 2G talk time? Does 3G have better voice quality?

17. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

Five hours more for EDGE than 3G.

18. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

But what I'm asking is, what is 2G "talk time"? You can't even use EDGE while on a call so what is he talking about?

19. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

You can't use data and talk while on EDGE, but you can definitely talk on the EDGE network. The OP was asking the talk time difference between 3G and EDGE. He wasn't talking about data usage. He was just referring to the EDGE network as the "2G" network. There are three GSM network speeds: GPRS, EDGE, and now 3G. Now that 3G has come along, some people refer to the speeds as 1G, 2G, and 3G. And even more confusing, some people refer to GPRS as 2G and EDGE as 2.5G.:sick: