What is the difference between DND and Silent Mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ibrahim Allaf, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ibrahim Allaf

Ibrahim Allaf Member
    Bronze

There is a Do Not Distrub setting in SETTINGS in the iPhone in addition to the regular silent button

what is the diff. between the two?

2. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

With DND you can choose which contacts can reach you in your DND periods.
    Also DND can be set as a timed event, eg every evening at 22.00 until the next morning 07.00.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Do not disturb turns off notifications while the screen is off (except for any exceptions you grant, like two calls in 3 minutes, or calls from favorites or certain contact groups). In DND, the phone doesn't turn on the screen or even buzz.

In silent mode, the notification comes through, the phone vibrates (if vibrate on silent is enabled), and the screen turns on to display the message, but it does not play the sound (unless it's an alarm set in the clock app).

Sent using iCafe app

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I'm definitely loving DND. I have it set to allow calls and texts from certain family members and that's all. So if one of the kids needs me in the middle of the night I get the call or text (custom message alert) like normal. Everybody else can wait. And the automatic feature means I just plug my iPhone in next to my bed and never have to set it. Once you have it set it goes into effect at the same time every night.

5. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

In my settings, DND only allows me to turn on and off. How do I get to individualized strings.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Ms Cola

Ms Cola Member
    Bronze

You have to make the changes Notification.

Sent using iCafe app