What is the difference between the Wrist Detection and Wake Screen on Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iPhoneFan10, Oct 9, 2015.

1. iPhoneFan10

iPhoneFan10 Member
    Bronze

I was wondering, as I was trying to explain to my wife how to turn off the feature that turns on the watch face when you raise your arms up, the following...

What is the difference between the "Wrist Detection" and "Wake Screen" selections on the Apple Watch app on iPhone? When Wrist Detection is turned off, the watch still shows the time when you raise your arm, even as the description for Wrist Detection says it won't. The only way to get it not to show the time when you raise your hand is to go into the "Wake Screen" area and turn off "Wake Screen on Wrist Raise."

So, with that said, what does the Wrist Detection button do if it doesn't turn off the watch face when you raise your arm?

The two areas seem redundant.

Any guesses?

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1444396556.185976.jpg

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Wrist detection allows the watch to sense when it is actually on your wrist. This is necessary to use a passcode and Apple Pay.

I'm not sure why they reference wrist raise there in the settings, doesn't seem relevant.