What is the difference between these two ipsw files? I'm confused on which to download.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bitemyapple, Jun 28, 2015.

1. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Does anyone have any idea what the difference between

iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw & iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

I have a A1533 5s model and I'm on Verizon Wireless. If you look at the bottom of this page you'll see:

iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM): iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw
    iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

Wouldn't my 5s use the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore? 6,1 is GSM and 6,2 is Global. I just figured CDMA and Verizon? Someone has to know which one is the correct one for me to use.

I know I can just go into iTunes and click Restore and it'll download the ipsw but I think I'm getting the wrong one. If anyone with a 5s with iOS 8.3, on VZW & in the States could please tell me what ipsw file downloads for them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    -bud

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The correct one for your needs is iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw.

AT&T and T-Mobile use the GSM-only file. At any rate, iTunes would let you know if you had the incorrect firmware file.

3. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

I just did Shift+Restore in iTunes, added the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw and it wouldn't work? I get "This iPhone could not be restored b/c the firmware file is not compatible." When I select 6,1 it works with no issues, this makes no sense to me?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Hmm. I guess I was wrong. The other file was probably for Sprint customers, then. Sorry about that.

Glad you got it updated, though.

I have shamed myself.

[​IMG]

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You were not wrong. I just looked it up on multiple sites that host .ipsw files and 6,1 is for the 5s on GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) and 6,2 is for the 5s on GSM+CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). I did find one site that accidentally transposed the numbers. I'm guessing that the OP downloaded the ipsw from the site that labeled them incorrectly.

6. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

The sites aren't wrong. I downloaded the ipsw from several respectable sites. Check for yourself and you'll see that iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw is GSM and iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw is Global. I could give you a list of all the sites. Even iTunes downloads iPhone6,1(GSM) when I do a restore. This is why I'm confused. iTunes wont let me install iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's exactly what I just said - 6,1 is for GSM and 6,2 is for Global (GSM + CDMA). I checked four sites last night and they listed it as that. I found one site that had the 1 and the 2 transposed. Additionally, I tested it myself by checking what version iTunes would download for my GSM AT&T 5s and it downloads 6,1.

You have Global if you have a Verizon phone. I have no idea why 6,1 is working for you. It shouldn't. It should only allow 6,2.

8. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Should I call vzw or Apple to get this settled. How am I using a gsm phone on verizon?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I wouldn't worry about it at all. It updated successfully and is working fine.