What is the fastest way to charge iPhone X in the Car?

Discussion in 'iPhone X' started by Michael Baturin, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I've been trying to figure this out for a while with my iPhone 7 Plus.

With the 7 Plus, I always just had a USB extension from the center console USB input run down the side of the driver's seat, around the bottom back of the driver's seat, then back up between the driver's seat and the door and up the weather proofing trim to the holder I have on the left side windshield. I then just plugged a 1m lightning cable into that female USB extender. This had the result of keeping the iPhone at the % it was when I got into the car even when keeping Waze on and playing music/audiobooks - but not actually adding charge.

With the iPhone X, I would really like to be able to have Waze up with music/audiobooks playing AND have the iPhone X be adding charge. I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My power input options are:
    1. 12 Volt, 160 Watts (13 Amps) Cigarette Lighter
    2. 115 Volt, 150 Watt (1.3 Amps) Outlet
    3. 5 Volt, 2.5 Watt (.5 Amps) USB Input - This one is a guess since I cannot find the actual spec for my Jeep.
    I purchased this wireless charger and have found that while it shows that the phone is charging, it actually loses about 1% - 2% of battery per hour while I am using Waze and listening to music through Bluetooth. I plan to return it.

Today, I purchased this cigarette lighter plug and this holder with a MFi certified 10 foot lightning cable. I am hoping this works. Can anyone tell me if this will "fast charge" the iPhone?

I can't help wondering if it would be more beneficial to use the 115V, 150W DC outlet in the Jeep possibly with the 29W Apple USB-C power brick and a 2m cord? I know this would enable fast charging but I'm not sure the cord will be long enough to reach my holder. I've read there are no certified lightning to USB-C cables which means I can't go looking for a 3m long cord which is what I would likely need.

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I have a hard time in jeep just to find a holder I like .
    WIth 2 phones the Pixel XL 2 and iphone I need 2 holders.
    I got this one since the 1st pixel and it works decent, My holder is seat bolted.
    I am waiting for a new holder from Pro Clip. The iphone x in the old holder and face ID is just not easy to use.
    I don't like windshield mounted holders. There are just not many options for my jeep .