What is the iPhone 5 release date?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Apple taking a huge hit because people are waiting for the new iPhone. Stock was down $33 in after hours trading after Apple announced their earnings. Wonder if Jobs would have put up with this?

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
Jobs created the very situation Apple is now dealing with. When you have a consumer base that has been trained by their device supplier, for the last 4 years, that the product they want to own only comes out once a year, well you start to show cyclic sales patterns. It will only get worse from here.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Jobs created the very situation Apple is now dealing with. When you have a consumer base that has been trained by their device supplier, for the last 4 years, that the product they want to own only comes out once a year, well you start to show cyclic sales patterns. It will only get worse from here.
But looks like Apple is stretching out the cycles. See iMac, Mac Pro and now iPhone. First June, then July, now September. That makes people be content to wait instead of buy!

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
I'm becoming less content and bored myself. I'm jailbroken to pacify, but that's getting old too. It's time for a new device.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
I am of the opinion that the iPhone 4S was delayed due to Apple waiting on Qualcomm's first test production run of the 28 nanometer LTE chips in the Spring of 2011. When Qualcomm officially announced that they wouldn't be able to get the fabrication of those LTE chips up to the yield rate required by Apple until December of 2011, this put Apple in a interesting position. Apple had to work with the the current 3G CDMA/GSM chip and design a new antenna system to overcome the iPhone 4's issues. With that and Siri not being completed by WWDC, that left Apple with only one choice. Delay the phone. To be blunt, if the doctors had thought for one moment that Jobs would live through the end of 2011, the iPhone 4S would have been delayed even longer. But that didn't happen so they went with an October release. Which in hind sight setup a very interesting situation for Apple. A major product release that went across the full Christmas quarter. Wall Street ended up liking it. And a lot at that. I now see Apple continuing the trend of a Holiday release schedule for at least the next three generations.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
I'm becoming less content and bored myself. I'm jailbroken to pacify, but that's getting old too. It's time for a new device.
I am curious, why haven't you switched to Android, which has a new CPU/GPU cycle every 3 months, if you are bored in under a year?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Apple taking a huge hit because people are waiting for the new iPhone. Stock was down $33 in after hours trading after Apple announced their earnings. Wonder if Jobs would have put up with this?
wasn't all stock down ?
Also if you look at last years Apple stock /iPhone sales for the same time frame
People are waiting for the next iPhone they learned from past
And even if they want an older model they wait for the discount

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
I am with you ! I keep looking at tgeh Galaxy S lll !
twice I was close but then I think I should not compare the 4s to the Galaxy
About 10 month difference in release is a big! It is fast growing smartphone technoligy afterall.
The new iPhone would be the one to compare before making a decision
Then I am thinking get it to hold you over until the release
To much hassle converting my music
And I have have to have Apps which would be buying something I already own again.
Last well the Galaxy is probably more fun if you have friends/family who own one as well
I got no friends and my family is hubby son and 2 dachshunds

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
So we can say 100% Apple did not go back to it's June release cycle
I rather look at facts
iOS 6 is announced for Fall
1st day fall should be September 22nd
AT&T has a new share plan come some time in August
(there be no release before that)
Everything else is rumor and speculation
What I love about getting the new iPhone is just that !

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
The last day of Fall is Dec 20th. That gives Apple a very large window to work with for the release of iOS 6.

VZW was smart to announce and implement their Family Data plan months before the next iPhone release. AT&T is playing catch up because they wanted to see how VZW was handled by the media and public reaction. So AT&T will only have one billing month on record before the next iPhone which will cause confusion for a certain segment of consumers where as VZW will have four billing months and all the kinks worked out.

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
I am curious, why haven't you switched to Android, which has a new CPU/GPU cycle every 3 months, if you are bored in under a year?
I had a few droids before. I also had the 4 and now 4s since release on both devices. So, I'm more than a year on basically the same phone. I am tempted to try galaxy siii, but I'm aware it may be a let down in the long run.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
At present there are no Android phones worth owning. They all use a version of Google's OS that allows a user, through no fault of their own (other than deciding to install an application from their app store), to cause the phone to no longer be able to receive/answer either calls or text messages. Until that is fixed I won't touch Android again. And no, at present, that condition isn't possible under iOS.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
I'll try not to get to technical with my rant. LOL

Over 95% of all Android apps are JAVA based. That means they have to run in a piece of software called the Dalvik Virtual Machine. The DVM basically allows any JAVA software to run on any Android hardware regardless of CPU and GPU. It is actually a really slick piece of code. Except it has some serious overhead. Which is why Android phones need either a dual and quad core CPUs running at 1.5 Ghz unlike Apple which only requires a dual core at 1 Ghz for top end applications.

So that sets up the first issue. But it is minor compared to what I am about to layout next.

Android has one major difference over iOS. Android does true round robin multitasking. iOS on the other hand does registered round robin multitasking. The difference is very subtle but very critical. iOS applications have to request, as well as be approved by Apple, to run in background mode. Android apps simply multitask whether the user wants it to or not.

So now we have Android apps that take more horsepower to run and can run in background (multitasking) whenever they want. So lets add in the last piece of the problem.

Android apps, when installed, can register themselves against certain events. So lets create an app in our minds real quick to show how this can cascade to the point of the phone being rendered useless as an actual phone. Lets create a game that is multiplayer. A war game with the ability to simulate a lot of information. And last but not least It needs to connect to a master server to get what it needs to number crunch for each turn made. And before anyone says "Hey, why does the phone need to number crunch? Can't the server do it?". Why yes it could but the programmar doesn't want to have to build a more powerful server every time 100 new users starts using his game. They have a computer in their hand, lets use their CPU instead.

So the War game registers under Android for the "Change of Connection" event. That means every time you switch from WiFi to Cellular data or vice versa, it loads into memory and checks to make sure it is connected properly through the current type of connection. Now of course this app is already in memory because it has been playing the game in background the whole time. But lets say you killed the app because you didn't want it running while you were playing a really CPU/GPU intensive 3D game. So you step outside of your house and BAM the app loads in background and tries to connects to the server because you just dropped WiFi and switched to 3G/LTE. But something goes wrong. You are just at the edge of the WiFi and the app keeps getting called for the change in connection. Eventually an error occurs and the software goes into a run away loop. That loop is now using every bit of the CPU it can get a hold of.

Now Android is supposed to be true multitasking. Normally it would simply time slice enough to be able to watch for the signal from the on board GSM/CDMA radio. But our runaway app is now eating almost every time slice possible. Android ends up missing the signal from the radio. You end up missing the call.

Does this issue exist in Android 4.x? Yes. Is it as bad as it was back in the 1.x and 2.x? Heck no. Under 2.x I had this scenario happen to me enough times that I switched to iOS. And even though Android 4.x is probably 100 times less likely to do it than 2.x, that still means to me it is possible. I choose not to live with that possibility.

So far all the haters on iOS because it doesn't multitask natively for background apps, unless you jailbreak of course, I say you owe Apple a thank you for not allowing this condition to happen to the average user in the first place ;)

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
It's out already...it's called the Galaxy S III.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
It's out already...it's called the Galaxy S III.
Ugh. Can't wait to see the 'New iPhone' destroy the Galaxy S III. Just saw on the news that there is speculation of a September release date. These stupid rumors have made it to the national news.

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
Wow, that's a good explanation. That could be why my droids were buggy and not as smooth as iPhone. :)
Thanks for the info.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I am still hoping for a September release.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
The only way a September release will happen is if they go with less than 10 million iPhone's on hand and only sell to say 8 countries at launch.