What is the latest firmware? Is it jail-breakable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by TarekElsakka, Aug 12, 2012.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hello there,

I went on iClarified's website and saw that the latest firmware is 5.1.1 but it says "only a tethered jailbreak can be performed at the moment". Is that true?

What is the latest un-tethered jailbreakable firmware for the iPad 1? I currently have 5.0.1 and I feel like it's old now and if I try to "restore" I'll be forced to update to the latest firmware, and I don't want to do that.

I haven't been in the iOS / JB picture in a very long time. I actually forgot how to update to a firmware that is older than the most recent one. Didn't we have to play in the hosts file or something? I'm using a Mac OS X, by the way, but I can use Windows if necessary.

Thank you.

2. applejailescape

Gold

You can restore to your current firmware by downloading it off the Internet then holding down "shift" on the keyboard and selecting the firmware

-Spencer-
    www.twitter.com/Spencer7077

3. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Ah.. so restoring to the current firmware is allowed but downgrading would require modification to the hosts file and such, correct? I stumbled upon an article online that 5.1.1 is the latest firmware and that there's an untethered jailbreak for it, namely Absinthe 2.0. Is that right?

4. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Update to 5.1.1 and untethered jailbreak went well. However, I forgot to make a copy of the backup like I used to with my old iPhone, and when the restore was done the iPad automatically made a new backup and replaced the old one, which basically means I formatted it and now have nothing on it. Glad I did the "transfer purchases" thing before I restored the iPad.

This is really unfortunate as it is my Dad's iPad, but I was able to recover most of the stuff as I already had them on the computer.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

6. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Sorry and thank you, John!