What is the "Location-Based iAds" on my iP4S for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBoss, Oct 31, 2011.

  1. iBoss

    iBoss Contributor

    Hi guys can somebody tell me what is this (Location-Based iAds) for. This is found under Location Services>System Services. Also do I need it on at all times? I just read in an article that turning this off will also help your battery life that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
  2. Target

    Target Evangelist

    http://advertising.apple.com/ Very interesting.

    This from Wikipedia:
    iAd is a mobile advertising platform developed by Apple Inc. for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad line of mobile devices allowing third-party developers to directly embed advertisements into their applications. Announced on April 8, 2010, iAd is part of Apple's iOS 4, originally stated for release on June 21, 2010, the actual date change to July 1, 2010 was announced at Apple's June 7, 2010 keynote, with an iPad version appearing in the fall. Hosted and sold by Apple, the iAd platform is expected to compete with Google's AdMob mobile advertising service.
    Similar to AdMob, iAd facilitates integrating advertisements into applications sold on the iOS App Store. If the user taps on an iAd banner, a full-screen advertisement appears within the application, unlike other ads that send the user into theSafari web browser. Ads are promised to be more interactive than on other advertising services, and users will able to close them at any time, returning to where they left their app. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has indicated that Apple will retain 40% of the ad revenue, in line with what he called "industry standard", with the other 60% going to the developers. iAd is expected to benefit free applications as well.
    [edit]​
  3. Avatar

    Sponsored Advertisement

  4. Geo

    Geo Member

    In other words, it reads your likes and sends you ads so that you will buy something.
  5. iBoss

    iBoss Contributor

    So then I don't need it on! Thanks

Share This Page