What is the "other" shown in the iPhone capacity bar?

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
So I don't know if this always been there, but I think it's new, when I am synching my iPhone, when it breaks down what is available in the phone, it is showing 63.7MB as "other". I can't figure what that is. Does anybody have an ideas, it's irritating me. I have started putting pictures into peoples contacts, would that be it? I called Apple and they said the only way to know is to go through bit and bit remove all information from my phone. That just seems way too involved right now. And if this helps, my phone has not been jail broken, just use it with iTunes. Thanks!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
is your phone jailbroken? if so it would the apps that you have installed on the phone..

also do you have an album covers for your music you may have on there for like coverflow if so thats also other i believe

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
well if your music you have on the phone has covers for it then thats what it is. go to the ipod app and turn the phone sideways while having the ipod app open and see if you see an pictures of album covers if you do thats what that other is. Ill bet anything thats what it is

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yes i do have other showing up in mine as well i have 88.1mb of other most is the covers and the rest is apps i have on my phone

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I have almost 50 mb of "other" stuff on my stock-since-purchase iPhone. I would guess this is safari/youtube/maps cache in the system directory and nothing to be overly concerned about.

If you want to shrink it down, clear your safari cache in the system prefs... or restore your phone to factory. It takes about 20-30 minutes with a full sync afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if album art fell into this category as well... but I'm just guessing here...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I have almost 50 mb of "other" stuff on my stock-since-purchase iPhone. I would guess this is safari/youtube/maps cache in the system directory and nothing to be overly concerned about.

If you want to shrink it down, clear your safari cache in the system prefs... or restore your phone to factory. It takes about 20-30 minutes with a full sync afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if album art fell into this category as well... but I'm just guessing here...
Really? My restores take about 10 minutes.

Anyway, the other is not Album Covers. It's all the caches, your Safari History, your Settings, etc. There's no reason to worry about it.

- John

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
Really? My restores take about 10 minutes.

Anyway, the other is not Album Covers. It's all the caches, your Safari History, your Settings, etc. There's no reason to worry about it.

- John

thanks for that info i was sure that other was album covers but it being caches makes more sense.. Thanks for clarifying that...

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Hey, thanks all who answered, for some reason I stopped getting e mail alerts on this, but I feel better knowing it's happening across the board!

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
And how do I get rid of it? It wasn't there before I updated to 1.1.3! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

RKC06

Jan 16, 2008
Patrickj is correct. After doing some research myself, it seems to be a very popular thread over at the Apple website discussions board. It is easily blamed on iTunes 7.6. Hope an Apple fix is in the works soon as it is very annoying seeing all that extra memory going into nothing or is it just reading our memory wrong?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I had this issue with past versions of iTunes and past versions of iPhone firmware.

What I found to probably be an issue was that some of the videos I deleted from my phone directly, were indeed not totally deleted and written over with blank space on the phones storage drive. The videos were in fact just "reference deleted" and in fact still on the iPhone and not categorized or labeled and thereforee, called "other" when iTunes did a read of the phone's contents.

Anyhow, this may or may not be fact, but this is what seemed to be my problem. I did in fact delete 2 or 3 videos directly from the phone that totaled about 100MB. And after I did that I noticed I had about 100MB "other".

The only soution I could come up with was a restore, and that rectified the problem.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I also have 188 MB - quite annoying. I called Apple last night and spoke with John. (Very weird.) He said that they have been notified of the situation many times by many people and are looking for a fix.

I know that it isn't more files added by the update because up until,my other has been a very, very small sliver, even after 1.1.1. It's either a bug in 1.1.3 or iTunes 7.6, and I'm sure Apple will find a fix soon.

- John