What is the point of iPhone backups?

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
I'm 'new' to the iPhone community (since July 11) and since sometime in August I've begun to play with Jailbreaking my 3g and such. But I have yet to figure out what the purpose of the iPhone backup is.

Everytime I've ever restored my phone and then used a backup, it doesn't give my anything but what I would have if I restored and resync'd my phone as new. None of the application data is restored, the app icons are not put back into place on my springboard, and I use Exchange for my PIM data, so I don't need that to be backed up either.

Am I missing somthing? From what I see, it makes more sense for me to just restore and start from scratch everytime. My playlists, apps, bookmarks, pim data will all be restored after a full sync.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
the backup stores personal settings, text messages, bookmarks, and specific app saved info, i.e. A backup will put ewallet info back on the phone vs. A clean install will force you to re-type all personal info.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Also look when it says to restore from back up it should have a tab you can choose to restore from back up. You might be restoring on the wrong one. I have 3 restore tabs on my iTunes one stock and one the last time i have synced my iPhone and one idk what it is it should have a dates on restore tabs.

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Ok. I'll look at it closer next time, but I use ewallet to sync to my laptop so I won't loose anything there, the only thing I loose is game scores and such. Everything else I do, has a web or desktop sync component like ewallet or Toodledo via ToDo.

I'm assuming after I jailbreak, I don't want to restore from backup since it would put settings and ?registry like entries? back on the iPhone and screw it up in the long run. Is that correct or not? (sorry for my Windows registry talk, I've been a long time PC and Windows Mobile user)

Oh and thanks for the speedy and informational reply.

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
I guess what I really wish is for some application like Sprite Backup or Acronis True Image, so that I can mess up my phone and have the security in knowing that all I have to do is load the 'image' of one of my last good backups. So my phone will be EXACTLY like it was when I created that image. Is there such a thing?

Thanks Phillip, but what if my jailbroke phone crashes and I want to get it back and running again. Usually when it crashes it crashes to the point where I have to do a restore. So do I restore and then choose to use the backup? Will that re-jailbreak my phone? Sorry for such newb questions, but I guess I find Windows systems easier to backup and restore. Or at least I feel more comfortable, because I know where to look and what to manually backup.