What is the quickest way to dial?

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
What I miss from my Blackberry is the ability to dial a name right from the keyboard and just have the contact's name show up if it's there or the numbers if no contact matches the letter sequence. Right now it's a rather laborious attempt to find contacts if you don't have them in autodial and there must be another way to do this easier than I am! I open contacts and then have to use the right slide to find the name then scroll to the name and then I'm done. Not horrible but much longer than the above process!

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
You can start to type there name into the search at the top of the contacts list and it will bring them up instead of scrolling down to find there name.

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
hold down the home button until voice control starts and say "Call so and so" :eek:k:eek:k

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
hold down the home button until voice control starts and say "Call so and so" :eek:k:eek:k
I like this one! Regarding the contacts, when I open it there is no keyboard to type in a name. I have to click 'groups' then go back to select 'all' and then i see the keyboard on top. i couldn't find a setting that just showed the keyboard...

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
I like this one! Regarding the contacts, when I open it there is no keyboard to type in a name. I have to click 'groups' then go back to select 'all' and then i see the keyboard on top. i couldn't find a setting that just showed the keyboard...
You can also swipe all the way to the right and a search will come up which will let you search anything on your phone and as you type different things will come up. I forgot what they call it, I just got my first iPhone less than a week ago. :) I had been suckered in by the Instink "iPhone killer lol"...what a waste. After waiting for a supposed app contest that faild, terrible customer service and updates that kept breaking other features I payed the ETF and here I am. :sneaky:

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
You can also swipe all the way to the right and a search will come up which will let you search anything on your phone and as you type different things will come up. I forgot what they call it, I just got my first iPhone less than a week ago. :) I had been suckered in by the Instink "iPhone killer lol"...what a waste. After waiting for a supposed app contest that faild, terrible customer service and updates that kept breaking other features I payed the ETF and here I am. :sneaky:
Spotlight it's called :)

Ted S

Jun 30, 2009
What I miss from my Blackberry is the ability to dial a name right from the keyboard and just have the contact's name show up if it's there or the numbers if no contact matches the letter sequence.
As a former Treo user, I'm with you on this one. It was really nice to be able to type the contact name without scrolling. The best I have done so far is a free app I installed called "Q Contacts." It uses the existing contacts information, and when you open it, a keyboard automatically displays on the screen to make searching easier. When you locate the contact, you can call, text, or e-mail.

There are some deficiciencies in this app. however, most notably that you cannot open the contact information through Q Contacts, only access their phone number or e-mail. Also, there is no dial pad, recent calls, or favorites section, so it really doesn't completely replace the native phone or contacts function.

Does anyone know of an app which includes all of these features? Any experience with with ABC Contacts or Contacts Tap?

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
This is one thing I really miss about my BlackJack. All I had to do was type the first letter of the person's name and WinMo would pull up that name, plus any other contact with that letter anywhere in their name.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Awesome thread. What is damn annoying about the iPhone is the lack of customizability. Great find Ted S! Q Contact is a useful application. I wish Apple gave me the option of assigning it into the dialer as one of the options. I'm looking to find alternatives.

bass_lover - you hit the nail on the head of what I'm missing. Hopefully we'll do our best to locate something to bridge the gap.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
One button to activate voice dial (even if the phone is locked).
Second fastest way would be to use spotlight and type the first two letters of the persons name.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hunky,
You are on a roll my friend. When you get finished the entire iPhone will be redesigned (at least in your mind). You need some "Face Time" with Steve Jobs". I think I'm going to go into retirement and just sit back and watch you execute your craft. Mark:eek:k:eek:k:eek:k:eek:k