What is up with Rogers in Canada?

jboss

Jul 7, 2008
Did anyone see how Canadians are getting pretty slammed with crappy plans from Rogers? Canada needs some competition and less of a monopoly. What do you guys think?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Their data rates have been outrageous as long as they've had cell phones. My friend in Canada has an unlocked iPhone now without any data plan and EDGE turned off. He only uses it on wifi. It's a shame really.

jboss

Jul 7, 2008
It is a shame. After all, the best things are usually done online. And to only use it on WiFi just seems like a step down. What a bummer! Any rumors on changes?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It is a shame. After all, the best things are usually done online. And to only use it on WiFi just seems like a step down. What a bummer! Any rumors on changes?
Just the rumor that Apple appears to be trying to persuade them by limiting iPhones for each store.

jboss

Jul 7, 2008
Just the rumor that Apple appears to be trying to persuade them by limiting iPhones for each store.
Interesting! That's good. Because Apple will / is probably taking a lot of flack for this also. Thanks for the info!

Reverserewind

Jul 6, 2008
Yeah Rogers has continually been screwing us compared to other places. They more recently just changed all of their data plans quietly. I used to have a mimimal plan $25/mo for 4MB they just released $30/mo for 300MB but didn't bother to make a big deal of it, who wouldn't switch?

Here's a links for Rogers and the iPhone that is part of my hesitation...

http://ruinediPhone.com/

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The whole concept of competition does not exist in Canada. I found that out very early on when I moved to Vancouver (and very quickly left Canada soon after). Think Air Canada, yet they still went bust. The Canadian government does not like to encourage competition.

Yeah Rogers has continually been screwing us compared to other places. They more recently just changed all of their data plans quietly. I used to have a mimimal plan $25/mo for 4MB they just released $30/mo for 300MB but didn't bother to make a big deal of it, who wouldn't switch?

Here's a links for Rogers and the iPhone that is part of my hesitation...

http://ruinediPhone.com/

tomdice

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Florida
coming from a guy that tours Canada quite often, Rogers is brutal on the ol' wallet. the only positive thing i have to say about them though is their coverage up there is amazing!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I was in Puy-In-Bay, Ohio, in Lake Erie last weekend, and my ATT logo was replaced by 'Rogers Wireless.....CAN...' I was wondering what that was-now I know!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The Canadian government does not like to encourage competition.
LOL. Then the Canadian government doesn't understand economics one bit. It's competition that keeps prices low and people happy. It's lack of competition that creates monopolies and upsets consumers.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The Canadian economy is solely running on back of the American economy. If Canada was not next door to the US, it would be as rich as Romania (google it, I read it somewhere). In other words, if it wasn't for the US, Canada would be a third world country. Heck even Mexico has a larger economy than Canada.

Most of the Canadian economy is propped up by all the money the Landed Immigrants bring in and spend. They soon spend the cash, find out they cannot find a job, because they don't have "Canadian Experience" and then leave and move to the US.

It's not even a real country anyway!

LOL. Then the Canadian government doesn't understand economics one bit. It's competition that keeps prices low and people happy. It's lack of competition that creates monopolies and upsets consumers.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
rogers caved.
the price is now 6 gigs/30 per month.
its on gizmodo, don't feel like getting the link though.

6 gigs>300 mb, but it sure aint unlimited.

Reverserewind

Jul 6, 2008
The Canadian economy is solely running on back of the American economy. If Canada was not next door to the US, it would be as rich as Romania (google it, I read it somewhere). In other words, if it wasn't for the US, Canada would be a third world country. Heck even Mexico has a larger economy than Canada.

Most of the Canadian economy is propped up by all the money the Landed Immigrants bring in and spend. They soon spend the cash, find out they cannot find a job, because they don't have "Canadian Experience" and then leave and move to the US.

It's not even a real country anyway!
Ouch! I still own my house and car ;)