What it costs Apple to build the iPhone 6/6 Plus

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Nowhere even close (Apple cost) to a couple hundred dollars to upgrade those specs.. I'd say more like $50 maybe?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
My only issue with Apple is they are falling behind the competition in a few areas.. I'd be fine with spending $20 more on the phone if needed to get it up to the competition.
  1. RAM: Come on Apple 1GB? Most flagship phones have a minimum of 2GB and some high end phones have 3GB
  2. Screen: 750p on the iPhone 6. Most flagship phones are sporting 1080p screens
  3. 16GB: Flagships in 2014 almost all have the low end storage option at 32GB except Apple.
Would you be willing to pay a little more for Apple to upgrade these specs? I would..
This is where my argument for "planned obsolescence" doesn't sound crazy, could they add that now? Yes, would they make more money by strategically releasing "innovation" and new tech slowly each year to compel you to spend more to upgrade? Yessss

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
This is where my argument for "planned obsolescence" doesn't sound crazy, could they add that now? Yes, would they make more money by strategically releasing "innovation" and new tech slowly each year to compel you to spend more to upgrade? Yessss
Absolutely.. I am guessing the 6S will sport 2GB of RAM (since the Air 2 now has it) and they will probably bump storage up to 32GB next year as the low option. They almost have to just so they can push iOS updates out to you..

Slowly they get there but the competition is always ahead. By the time the iPhone has 2GB of RAM all the other flagships will have 3GB and some will be pushing 4GB. When Apple finally goes to 32GB as the low storage option everyone else will be offering 64..

Round and round we go..

Don't get me wrong I love the iPhone and it operates just fine on what can easily be considered low end specs for a flagship phone these days..

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Absolutely.. I am guessing the 6S will sport 2GB of RAM (since the Air 2 now has it) and they will probably bump storage up to 32GB next year as the low option. They almost have to just so they can push iOS updates out to you..

Slowly they get there but the competition is always ahead. By the time the iPhone has 2GB or Ram all other flagships will have 3 and some will be pushing 4. When Apple finally goes the 32GB as the low storage option everyone else will be offering 64..

Round and round we go..

Don't get me wrong I love the iPhone and it operates just fine on what can easily be considered low end specs for a flagship phone these days..
Competition is good for us, the consumer. Apple has something other companies lack, a cult following and with millions of units sold each year it is unlikely they will change strategy. I hope competition heats up in upcoming years, I'm an apple fan, I love simplicity and elegance but man, android is slowly catching up!

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Android has blasted past Apple in the specs war but a phone and / or the experience on the phone is not really dictated by specs.. iOS is heavily optimized to take full advantage iPhones specs..

Apps are where it's at and Android has a long ways to go before catching up in that area. I don't really know why that is but the quality of apps are much higher on iOS...

Now with handoff and continuity on iOS and Mac OS I am probably locked in forever because i absolutely love, love, love these new features..

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Android has blasted past Apple in the specs war but a phone and / or the experience on the phone is not really dictated by specs.. iOS is heavily optimized to take full advantage iPhones specs..

Apps are where it's at and Android has a long ways to go before catching up in that area. I don't really know why that is but the quality of apps are much higher on iOS...

Now with handoff and continuity on iOS and Mac OS I am probably locked in forever because i absolutely love, love, love these new features..
Android may be ahead in specs but their App Market leaves a lot to be desired. You get a lot of quality apps with the App Store and the satisfaction of knowing that not just any app can be added but that Apple has standards. Apple is still the leading number one smartphone and for good reasons. Going back to the consumer, the reason is not because of high end specs but because when you buy an Apple product, you know that you get top of the line customer support and a product that will last for 5-10 years.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
A little off topic but the one thing I like about the Android app store is that you get 2 hours to try the app. If you don't like it you just delete it within that time fame and you are refunded. Some Windows phone apps have 2-weeks and in some cases 30-days to try it..

You can do you diligence before buying an app by reading all the reviews, looking at the screenshots and watching videos the app but until it's on your device you just never know for sure. I have a TON of paid apps that after buying them and using them for 20 minutes I hated. Sure they are only $2-$5 each but that adds up..

On Mac it's even worse. I have a few apps in the $20-$50 range that I hate after using. The reviews were good but I just don't like them and now I am stuck with them..

I wish Apple had a refund policy for app. Heck even an hour would be enough time.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Screen: 750p on the iPhone 6. Most flagship phones are sporting 1080p screens
here we go again... the iPhone 6 display is already at 326ppi. Do we REALLY need more pixels crammed in there? Let android go to 4K on a 4.5" screen if they want to, I don't care.

I'm totally for more RAM, though. I'd rather save money and battery power for more RAM than more pixels.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
here we go again... the iPhone 6 display is already at 326ppi. Do we REALLY need more pixels crammed in there? Let android go to 4K on a 4.5" screen if they want to, I don't care.

I'm totally for more RAM, though. I'd rather save money and battery power for more RAM than more pixels.
Apple fanboy back in the day..."do we really need 3G? Edge is plenty fast....then we got 3G...."do we really need 4G? , 4G is a battery hog" then we got LTE, no complaints then....then "do we really need a bigger iphone? Says the fanboy, then we get the 6plus and shattered all previous records in sales in the first few hours.....new argument "do we need 4K?.............finish the story for me.....see a trend ? :D

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Apple fanboy back in the day..."do we really need 3G? Edge is plenty fast....then we got 3G...."do we really need 4G? , 4G is a battery hog" then we got LTE, no complaints then....then "do we really need a bigger iphone? Says the fanboy, then we get the 6plus and shattered all previous records in sales in the first few hours.....new argument "do we need 4K?.............finish the story for me.....see a trend ? :D
I agree... The screen on my Lumia 930/Icon flat out demolishes the screen on my iPhone 6 and it's not even close!

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is gorgeous and the screen is fine but I do notice a difference between the screen on my 8-month old 930/Icon to the screen on the iPhone 6..

To go a bit further on this, once you get use to something it's had to go backwards. LTE is an example. Can you or would you be happy going back to 3G.

I've used retina MacBook Pros since the day they were released. The other day I was in an Apple store waiting and all the computers were being used except for a 13" Macbook Air so I jumped on it.. It was a horrible experience for me and the screen looked like something from the stone age..

Is the screen that bad on the Air? Nope but my eyes are use to the retina..

Same for TV.. I can't watch SD channels anymore as the look absolutely horrible. If a channel is not in HD, I don't watch it.

My .02

Last edited:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Firstly, I don't appreciate the "fanboy" treatment. Secondly, you understand there is a limit to how many pixels the human eye can detect, right?

The Lumia 930 is a totally different type of screen (AMOLED), so it's completely wrong to assume you like it better purely because of its higher resolution.

If you want an AMOLED screen, fine. If you want higher contrast ratio, fine. If you want a wider color gamut, fine. I'm totally down with that if they improve the display. Higher pixel density will not do that, while leeching resources. It's a no-win.

Last edited:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Firstly, I don't appreciate the "fanboy" treatment. Secondly, you understand there is a limit to how many pixels the human eye can detect, right? None of those other things are relevant to this discussion.
My apologies didn't really say you were a fanboy, though I can see why anyone would think that based on my comment. My comment is absolutely relevant because although there is a limit of pixel the human eye can see, iPhone 6 does not have such limitations. More resolution is not just better, it's also in apples drawing board in all likelihood, only they are holding out to release it when they can maximize profits and perhaps performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
My apologies didn't really say you were a fanboy, though I can see why anyone would think that based on my comment. My comment is absolutely relevant because although there is a limit of pixel the human eye can see, iphone 6 does not have such limitations. More resolution is not just better, it's also in apples drawing board in all likelihood, only they are holding out to release it when they can maximize profits and perhaps performance.
I don't think you called him/her a fanboy, I think you called yourself one..

At any rate.. There is nothing wrong with being a fanboy in my opinion. Heck you could call me one based on the # of Apple products I own. Some people just like to argue and are rude so I avoid them and their posts..

Either way, I'd like to see a 1080p screen, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of minimum storage. It's obvious, based on selling 14 bazillion phones in 10 seconds, that Apple can do as they please and I will still buy it. I bought the 128GB iPhone 6 at full price, which is not chump change for what spec wise is a mid level phone!

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I don't think you called him/her a fanboy, I think you called yourself one..

At any rate.. There is nothing wrong with being a fanboy in my opinion. Heck you could call me one based on the # of Apple products I own. Some people just like to argue and are rude so I avoid them and their posts..

Either way, I'd like to see a 1080p screen, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of minimum storage. It's obvious, based on selling 14 bazillion phones in 10 seconds, that Apple can do as they please and I will still buy it. I bought the 128GB iPhone 6 at full price, which is not chump change for what spec wise is a mid level phone!
Agree, I'm am a self proclaimed "fanboy" I've had every iPhone ever made and have been at times obsessed with Apple products to the point of insanity as my wallet caught fire lol!!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I agree with this. It was disappointing that the 6 didn't have as good of battery life as the 6 Plus and that it didn't have 2 GB of RAM. More pixels that my eyes can't even discern aren't a big deal. The screen looks incredible. I don't have any complaints there.
Those aren't fair comparisons and the fanboy treatment was uncalled for. I've been here for years and don't remember anyone here who has been anti-cellular speed advancement.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I agree with this. It was disappointing that the 6 didn't have as good of battery life as the 6 Plus and that it didn't have 2 GB of RAM. More pixels that my eyes can't even discern aren't a big deal. The screen looks incredible. I don't have any complaints there.

Those aren't fair comparisons and The fanboy treatment was uncalled for. I've been here for years and don't remember anyone here who has been anti-cellular speed advancement.
See my previous post, don't put meaning behind my words please. And yes, I remember a time fanboys defending Apple for not implementing 3G early on.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007

Those aren't fair comparisons and the fanboy treatment was uncalled for. I've been here for years and don't remember anyone here who has been anti-cellular speed advancement.
Are you going to ignore his rude comments or are we to fend for ourselves?