What Kind of iPad Case Are You Getting?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
While out running errands at a local mall, I stopped in the Apple store to see if they had one of the Incase Convertible Book Jackets but they didn't. I noticed one of the employees with a cart full of Apple cases putting them on the rack. They had apparently just gotten in a big shipment after being out for 2 weeks. Another employee had an iPad in the Apple case and after getting a good look at it, I decided to get one. I was going to hold out for a Vaja but need and cost came before desire.

It's a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I like the suede-like texture and the thinness of it plus it's $20 cheaper than the Incase. I feel that the iPad is fairly well protected too and don't see a need for a screen protector.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Looks like everyone and their mother is getting the Apple case. I heard it was very flimsy. Haven't really tried one so I really don't know. I ended up getting the marware Eco-Flip. http://www.marware.com/products/iPad/Eco-Flip-for-iPad Has a lot of the same functionality as the Apple case (ie. flip stand for typing) I love it! Leather looks nice and it's sturdy. The only drawback is that it is a bit heavy. Oh and you can dock it without taking it out of the case unlike the Apple case.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have the Apple case, but I have one complaint - You cannot use the iPad dock with the Apple case. I'm sure that also goes for the iPad keyboard/dock combo.

Having said that, the case I would really like would include a pouch for the Apple bluetooth keyboard. That would be cool.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's nice, but a bit too thick. I know I'm being picky, but just give me the Apple case with a pouch on the back to tuck the keyboard in. Then, I can walk into Starbucks, take out the iPad and the keyboard and type, without feeling like I'm lugging a backpack or briefcase with me.

But, I'm just being picky.

bakabon

May 18, 2010
Apple ipad case is good enough for the moment.
Still looking for a good case that support as a stand in both portrait and landscape position. any suggestion ?

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Apple ipad case is good enough for the moment.
Still looking for a good case that support as a stand in both portrait and landscape position. any suggestion ?
i really like that quirky case you mentioned in the other post. If i didn't have the switcheasy, id probably hold out for that one when it comes out.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Well after using the Apple case since the Wifi launch (4/3) I definitely want/need another case. The dodo case looks really interesting but the wait is ridiculous for it. The Apple case is constantly getting marked up and the dust from it is infuriating on the screen. I'm constantly cleaning with a photo lens cloth.

Diane B

Bronze
Apr 20, 2010
My Ipad is due June 1. I ordered the Apple case since I don't expect to carry it much beyond home and travel. Several of my friends on a photo forum have had it since they got original wifi Ipads and like it for tilting for viewing when traveling and typing and that's primarily all I care about. I will likely continue to carry my Touch for day to day in my handbag so don't need anything more.

stephc

May 20, 2010
Washington
I looked long and hard to find the best cases for the iPad, I should say that it is for the iPad I ordered but have yet to receive :). Anyway, because of my extensive search and ongoing comparison, I wrote about it on my blog. I included pictures of the cases, links to where I found them, the prices of each case, and what I felt the pros and cons were to each of the cases. I have a tendency to go a little too far on researching products before I buy them so I put it online to help anyone else that's looking for a good case. I was undecided when I wrote the blog entry but by the time I reviewed them all for the blog, I decided on the case I wanted. Anyway, I won't drone on any further. Come to my blog if you want information on the available cases. I ended up getting a Buffalo Leather one. The cases on my blog post range in price from $14-$73 and they are all leather. I don't know if this reply will show my webpage address. If not, it's at TechSidebar dot com.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I looked long and hard to find the best cases for the iPad, I should say that it is for the iPad I ordered but have yet to receive :). Anyway, because of my extensive search and ongoing comparison, I wrote about it on my blog. I included pictures of the cases, links to where I found them, the prices of each case, and what I felt the pros and cons were to each of the cases. I have a tendency to go a little too far on researching products before I buy them so I put it online to help anyone else that's looking for a good case. I was undecided when I wrote the blog entry but by the time I reviewed them all for the blog, I decided on the case I wanted. Anyway, I won't drone on any further. Come to my blog if you want information on the available cases. I ended up getting a Buffalo Leather one. The cases on my blog post range in price from $14-$73 and they are all leather. I don't know if this reply will show my webpage address. If not, it's at TechSidebar dot com.
Thanks for all the effort. I have friends like you that do extensive research before buying a product and I seldom go wrong using their input. The case that most interested me was the SGP leather case, Vintage Edition. The price is a little steep. :eek:k:eek:k

stephc

May 20, 2010
Washington
The SGP was the one I really liked too. I just couldn't justify the price. The SGP is a lot like the Speck cases for the Macbooks and I was really wanting something like the Speck (I used to have a MacBook Pro). I ended up getting the Buffalo leather one for just under $30. I doubt I'll regret it later. For now, I'd just like Apple to send my iPad. Everyone else is having a good time with theirs and I'm stuck using my HP laptop (for now).

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
stephc said:
According to http://www.travelgearblog.com/archive/x-gear-traveler-folio-case-for-ipad.html they rated the xgear traveler folio at an 8 out of 10 so that seems pretty good.
It's come down to the Griffin Travel folio and the Apple case for me. I am leaning toward the Griffin case and will probably order it this evening. The Apple store indicates 3 to 4 weeks for delivery of the Apple case. Of course you can buy it for upwards of $100 on eBay if you just have to have it now and I don't. The Griffin appears to be of significantly better quality from all I have read, of course it is $30 more expensive.

jxh11215

Mar 13, 2009
I got my 1st iPad on 4/3 and have agonized, shopped, bought, returned, bought, sold....--you get the picture. Its funny, one of the 1st ones that I saw that I turned out the be the one that I finally ordered. I think there are only a very few cases that will stand up in both portrait & landscape mode, but I don't think I'll be doing any more leather. As with all cases, after a while the leather stretches. I ended up getting the Cloak and hopefully I'll get in a couple of weeks - http://bit.ly/9xW94k

P

pat3ck

I got my 1st iPad on 4/3 and have agonized, shopped, bought, returned, bought, sold....--you get the picture. Its funny, one of the 1st ones that I saw that I turned out the be the one that I finally ordered. I think there are only a very few cases that will stand up in both portrait & landscape mode, but I don't think I'll be doing any more leather. As with all cases, after a while the leather stretches. I ended up getting the Cloak and hopefully I'll get in a couple of weeks - http://bit.ly/9xW94k
Yes, please post a review once it arrives. Many can't wait for the May 31 launch!

Thanks!