What kind of router to get?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I have had a linksys router for a while, and since my roommate is moving out I need to buy a router. I was looking at the Airport Extreme Base HERE and I have a few questions.

1. I won't be able to control my music wireless like the Airport Express Base Station will?

2. With the Airport Express Station, can I make that secure using WEP?

3. Share your hard drive. Doees this mean that i can use time machine and back up my MBP onto the HD. Does this work like Time capsule then? I would be able to leave my EHD plugged into the router then then have it act like a external hard drive, adding files to it, and taking files from it?

Any help would be great!
What kind of router(s) do you have? Do you like them?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have had a linksys router for a while, and since my roommate is moving out I need to buy a router. I was looking at the Airport Extreme Base HERE and I have a few questions.

1. I won't be able to control my music wireless like the Airport Express Base Station will?

2. With the Airport Express Station, can I make that secure using WEP?

3. Share your hard drive. Doees this mean that i can use time machine and back up my MBP onto the HD. Does this work like Time capsule then? I would be able to leave my EHD plugged into the router then then have it act like a external hard drive, adding files to it, and taking files from it?

Any help would be great!
What kind of router(s) do you have? Do you like them?
1) no, but you have the option to add the Express to a network for that feature.

2) yep.

3) yes, you sure can. In fact (being a time capsule user) i recommend that setup over a time capsule.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I am kind of in a bind. I do not mind paying for the Extreme Base, BUT I really would like the ability to play music wirelessly from my computer. Since I am still in school this comes in handy when we have people over. With the new remote application on iPhone this would work awesome! Be able to pick and song from my phone! I really want the wireless storage though.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
We have a 1TB Time Capsule and it works pretty well, albeit a little slow for backups. Off of it, we have 2 USB drives so there's a total of 1.75TB available. The Time Capsule allows you to have WEP or WPA security. The Remote app works really well for controlling iTunes, but you already figured that out.

I'm not sure that any router will let you hang a HD off of it and share it. The Time Capsule has connections for that purpose. We also have an HP printer connected to the whole thing so we can print from anywhere in the house.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
We have a 1TB Time Capsule and it works pretty well, albeit a little slow for backups. Off of it, we have 2 USB drives so there's a total of 1.75TB available. The Time Capsule allows you to have WEP or WPA security. The Remote app works really well for controlling iTunes, but you already figured that out.

I'm not sure that any router will let you hang a HD off of it and share it. The Time Capsule has connections for that purpose. We also have an HP printer connected to the whole thing so we can print from anywhere in the house.
From my reading of the Airport Extreme, you can attatch a hard drive to it and share?
I do nos own one so I am only trying to find the best way to play music wirelessly and have storage, but I don't think that it is going to be possible with only one device :(

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
From my reading of the Airport Extreme, you can attatch a hard drive to it and share?
I do nos own one so I am only trying to find the best way to play music wirelessly and have storage, but I don't think that it is going to be possible with only one device :(
I don't know abou the AE either but I know with a Time Capsule, you can.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I just don't understand why they have the the wireless music feature for the express and not the extreme!?!

Oh well. I am just going to find out what features I really want and don't need. Who knows which one I am going to choose.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what is AirTunes anyway? You can play music from a shared library on any network...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ok, so you basically hook it up to any stereo to play your iTunes library... kinda like an audio version of AppleTV... which makes me wonder, why not just get an AppleTV? IT can play your iTunes Library too...

the weird thing about the Express is that it has a USB port, but it's only to share a printer... not a Hard Drive.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
ok, so you basically hook it up to any stereo to play your iTunes library... kinda like an audio version of AppleTV... which makes me wonder, why not just get an AppleTV? IT can play your iTunes Library too...

the weird thing about the Express is that it has a USB port, but it's only to share a printer... not a Hard Drive.
Well the Apple TV is $229 and if all that I am going to do is play my music wirelessly, I would rather just get the airport express. I watch all my movies from my computer on my tv via Flash Drive. Since I have xbox it works just fine for me.

I think as for routers I am just going to go with the Airport Express because I can stream my music wirelessly via AirTunes, Print wirelessly and have WiFi. With the Extreme, I the wireless drive would only be convienent for me, and since there is only one USB I can only use printer OR HD.

I love Apple products do not get me wrong. I think that they jack up their prices cause Apple knows that they have loyal customers and those customers are willing to pay premium devices for very quality products. If Apple made their products more affordable, I would have them all.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I think you might be looking at this wrong op. The Airport Express can only be used if you have a wireless router. So, in other words, you NEED a Airport Extreme (or other wireless router) to control the Exress. I currently have an Exress hooked up to my home theater wirelessly connected to a linksys router. Works pretty well other than being a pain in the butt to configure (at least for me it was). Then in iTunes, at the bottom right, a drop down appears and allows me to select the output for my music, either computer speakers, or the Express.
With that said, Im looking to replace my linksys with the Airport Extreme so I can hang the external HDD off of it and share it on the network. My only question is if the Airport Extremes USB port allows a USB hub so I can have multiple USB drives (or a printer) all on the same USB port? I know the Time Capsule allows that.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I think you might be looking at this wrong op. The Airport Express can only be used if you have a wireless router. So, in other words, you NEED a Airport Extreme (or other wireless router) to control the Exress. I currently have an Exress hooked up to my home theater wirelessly connected to a linksys router. Works pretty well other than being a pain in the butt to configure (at least for me it was). Then in iTunes, at the bottom right, a drop down appears and allows me to select the output for my music, either computer speakers, or the Express.
With that said, Im looking to replace my linksys with the Airport Extreme so I can hang the external HDD off of it and share it on the network. My only question is if the Airport Extremes USB port allows a USB hub so I can have multiple USB drives (or a printer) all on the same USB port? I know the Time Capsule allows that.
So I can't plug in an ethernet cable to a Airport Express and get internet? I am confused? How would you be able to access the HDD from the router? Can you do it outside your home network?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
weird... I know merlin has one, but I'm pretty sure you don't need an additional router if you have an express.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
That is what I thought, expecially since the Apple site says that you can take it with you. I assumed this means that if there is a hotel with ethernet not WiFi, you can plug this in and make WiFi. Hope to hear from him.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
That must be the case then, Im sorry. I thought that ethernet port was only for extending your already existing wireless network. I didn't know you could plug that into a cat 5 and create a wireless network. My bad. I would still call and confirm that one though.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Can I use the Airport extreme as a print server and a network drive?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you can definitely do either/or... and MAYBE both. Merlin mentioned the possibility of adding a USB hub to it (piece of hardware that basically expands one USB port into multiple ports), but we're not sure if the Extreme is compatible with them.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I don't know how I didn't see this before when I searched high and low for this information, but if you look at the bottom HERE it says that if you connect a usb hub, you can do "everything" referring to print wirelessly and share files wirelessly. Glad I found this, I am going to go with the AIrport Extreme.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
cool good to know.

i hope that convinces people to not ever screw with a time capsule.